• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

3D Printed Protein Skimmer with CO2 Scrubber lid EPYC MPS1.0

Acorral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers !!! I am proud to present you this new skimmer I made and have been testing for a while...

20210111_193233.jpg
20210111_193252.jpg
20210111_193304.jpg
20210111_193319.jpg
20210111_193329.jpg
20210111_193352.jpg
20210111_193358.jpg

If you are interested on the 3d printing part of it you can go here on thingiverse and see the details.

If you want a custom version of the STL files to print yourself a custom skimmer go here.

And a little story about the design...

I wanted to do it fully printable, there are many skimmer designs out there but all of the require you to source other materials, glue pvc pipes, cut acrylic tubes, etc... I wanted something that can be printed and put in water after the printer. Obviously the pump needs to be bought but other than that its all 3d printed PETG plastic.

It's different from other skimmers in many ways, it's lighter, like a sturdier and larger coca cola bottle, so it bends but doesnt breaks easily, it weighs only 870grams and it's very simple and straight-forward design, curved body, bubble plate, inlet, outlet, cup and thats it,...

I added a second floor to the cup's lid to be able to fill it with CO2 absorbent media, or activated carbon if you want to get rid of the gunk smell...

One advantage of the 3d printing process is that each unit can be customized sin ce there are no molds on tooling required... you can customize dimensions, geometry and the text on the body, like this one with the acronym of my group (Entre Peces y Corales):
139033372_111995640731040_2075572232462664007_n.jpg

One important part of the design was the flow regulation on the water exit from the body... i didn't wanted to need a pvc valve attached, you can so so if you like but you can get away without it by using some flow restrictor blocks... if you use one that is too restrictive then it will overflow and then you switch it for one more open... easy... for all of us reefers that just set the adjustment on the simmer once it's great... for those that like to be fiddling with the adjustment its not that great... but i am sure i will have soon an adapter for pvc pipe so you can use the pvc valve of your choice...

The geometry and dimensions are adjusted to work ok with a SICCE SK200 pump, but you can use whatever pump you have around collecting dust, you woudl just need to print the adapter or ask me for it...

So you can print your skimmer if you have a 3d printer and know how to use it, or you can ask a friend that has one locally...

If you want special dimensions or text on the body contact me directly or use the link shared before... if you need it already printed and shipped, you can also contact me directly...

Let me have your thoughts, opinion, comments and suggestions so i can make it even better...

20210111_191343.jpg 20210111_191430.jpg 20210111_191440.jpg

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Keep us posted on dialing it in, this is quite the feat to design and engineer. Must have been a fun project, even more rewarding once you collect a bunch of skimmate :)

OP
OP
Acorral

Acorral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Keep us posted on dialing it in, this is quite the feat to design and engineer. Must have been a fun project, even more rewarding once you collect a bunch of skimmate :)
Thanks! I have designed and made many skimmers along the years, from the ones with wood airstones to this one... the great thing now is that there are great skimmer pumps... having a good skimmer pump then you design around it and with 3d printing you can tweak every detail and size very quickly... much quicker and cheaper than DIY in acrylic or PVC...

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. You could even put carbon in the top instead for those living in states that are constantly catching fire.

Chris2351

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. I’d look to purchase if you decide to put them on the market.

OP
OP
Acorral

Acorral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome. I’d look to purchase if you decide to put them on the market.
I am selling them already, I can sell you one for sure... I am sharing the files if you have a printer and are willing to do it yourself but I am selling prints of it with the advantage that the dimensions, text and colors can be customized... Send me a private message to make it happen!

reefpizza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i'll try out for sure! Info: water level suggested for the thingiverse version in sump?
*edit: the body .stl file have some problem, it's 100% solid after slice it!

OP
OP
Acorral

Acorral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow i'll try out for sure! Info: water level suggested for the thingiverse version in sump?
*edit: the body .stl file have some problem, it's 100% solid after slice it!
yes it is completely solid because it is intended to be print in vase mode, please read caefully the print settings i wrote, the same applies to the cup, the lid, adapters, everything but the bubble plate prints in vase mode, and you need a large 1mm nozzle... if you use it with a SK200 the correct water level is around 7-8" of water in the sump...

Last edited:

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Very impressive. I must try this on my printer. Headed to Thingiverse right now.

OP
OP
Acorral

Acorral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Very impressive. I must try this on my printer. Headed to Thingiverse right now.
Thanks, just saw that the Thingiverse publication didnt had the print settings which are very important, just added them there...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back