3D Printed Reef STUFF! How many of you are into it?

Do you have any 3D printed reefing gear?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 183 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 109 27.7%
  • No but would like to try something

Votes: 100 25.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag stands and other miscellaneous whatevers. Also designed a di resin packer that works pretty good
20200823_214818.jpg

20200723_132043.jpg
Do you sell online? That DI Resin funnel and packer is a great idea. It makes an awful mess.

waleedk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max Nano, and here's everything that is currently in there that is 3D printed. I mostly use transparent PETG since it has the least additives.

The top cover (my own design), printed as 6 panels then connected together:

IMG_20210301_123748.jpg

A snail shell for one of my hermit crabs that is just the right size for them (he hasn't moved in yet) -- I printed 2 sizes so he can choose whichever works better:

IMG_20210301_124131.jpg

An attachment to my pump return to increase turbulence

IMG_20210301_124225.jpg

Neptune Sensor mounts and holders for incoming fluids from ATO and Dosing:

IMG_20210301_124309.jpg

Little shims that I apply glue on both sides to to "wedge" rocks that have become unstuck (my own design). They come with a tab that you break off once it's in the right place so you can hide them better.

IMG_20210301_124336.jpg

A "height extender" for the weir in the Max Nano. Because I upgraded the in-built skimmer that filled the space, I needed to add this. Otherwise the water would overflow.

IMG_20210301_124355.jpg

shakygator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to buy some 3d printed brackets but I needed a handful of them and at $15 a piece I figured I would just get a printer so I can make all the things. I wound up getting a killer deal from a friend on an Ender 5 and I've been printing nonstop. Mostly still upgrading the printer itself, but I've made a few brackets. One for my DC power supplies, one for the ReefAngel head unit, some Jebao controller mounts. I'm currently designing a nem guard for the Jebao cross flow pumps bc I think its eaten two nems in the last week.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I used a 3” PVC manifold on my sump, I realized nobody made a 3” inlet strainer. So I had Barr Aquatics design and 3D print one for me. Now that they designed it, and I have the first prototype, anyone can order one on their website. That is if anyone else decides to go with a 3” manifold.

img_5799-1-jpg.1505007

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...designed a di resin packer that works pretty good
20200823_214818.jpg

Sent you a pm... found it on Thingiverse... Just swapped to PETG, Funnel printing NOW.

Awesome.

I filled a set of DI carts just yesterday, it's always a mess... it's a task I generally perform out in the yard so I don't have to clean up as much of a mess.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem guards for my nero5s. Also great for small fish like mandarins that try their luck at random flows (actually survived with a few days of rehabilitation/ isolation) . Not sure how good they do with nems, but don't really want to test either. Definitely peace of mind that increases the amount of sleep you get at night and productivity while at work.

Oh, I forgot about the poor starfish. Sandsifters and double stars are no match for an unguarded power head.

Heck, they have even caught zoas floating around.

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to get a printer here soon, as I find 3D modeling quite enjoyable and have already made a few models for the tank that just need to be printed. Printers are also getting cheaper and cheaper by the hundreds, so i hope to see more people using them in everyday life.

on a side note what is a good entry level printer?
The Prusa Mini is a very good 3D printer, I would definitely recommend it.

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to get a printer here soon, as I find 3D modeling quite enjoyable and have already made a few models for the tank that just need to be printed. Printers are also getting cheaper and cheaper by the hundreds, so i hope to see more people using them in everyday life.

I love my creality 3d printer but my only complaint would be the painful process of leveling the print bed.
That's why we use only Prusa Mini and i3 MK3s

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sure do. I designed and printed my ATS that's on my tank now, some probe holders and some dosing tube holders. I keep refining the ATS, so I'll be upgrading that soon I think. If you're interested in pics of the ATS, I have some in my build thread HERE.

Also, my next print will likely be the mount for the EB832 (I lost mine in a move), but I have to get measurements and create the .stl first.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That. do you have STL's for those DI resin tools? Those are beautiful!

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fancy- I've always used an empty beer bottle ;Woot. Perfect diameter!

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you sell online? That DI Resin funnel and packer is a great idea. It makes an awful mess.
Not yet, ive been working on getting a domain set up. I am just sticking my toes in the water so far. If you want, pm me and i can get some printed for you

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet but I will in the near future.

I picked up an Ender 3 pro last fall for funzies. I've mostly just designed and printed random bits to fix things around the house. Only used PLA so far which I've read won't hold up over time submerged in saltwater. Picked up a roll of PETG a few weeks ago and I have some lighting bracket mounts in mind for a future tank, maybe a frag rack, maybe some urchin hats when that day comes lol.

Fun way to solve problems around the house though, and very affordable at the entry level too. Definitely recommended!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back