3D Printed Reef STUFF! How many of you are into it?

Do you have any 3D printed reefing gear?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 183 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 109 27.7%
  • No but would like to try something

Votes: 100 25.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you know you could print your own reef gear or have someone else do it? We even have a new forum just for it here. Today I was thinking about 3D printed stuff and was wondering how many reefers are actually into this or have gear that was 3D printed! Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have any reefing gear that was 3D printed?

2. Have you ever 3D printed your own aquarium items?

image example of items via R2R sponsor @Printed Reef
Screenshot_2021-03-01 Products.png

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a high school student in an engineering academy I am constantly exposed to 3d printing, And quite frankly the possibilities are endless. And as the tech gets more and more advanced complex shapes will be extremely easy to print and a fraction of the cost casting or molding process take

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a frag holder, and testing equipment holders, some mushroom containers, accessories for my water box from kraken reef and some things from @BaysEndReef and I also have have had a cheap 3d printer for about 10 years that I've made a few things for myself with.

Viridis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought any 3d printed things, but I have a printer, so there'd be no point in doing so :p

So far I've printed frag rack holders, brackets for ATO (ended up trashing it), baffle holders, overflow screens, pod hotels, etc.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my son print me holders for the hanna cuvettes and LR Nitrate mixing vial so I can't knock them over becasue I'm clumsy. I also just had him print a "tamper" kinda round guy that attaches to a square dowel for compacting DI resin in the cartridge. I hate changing DI resin, I always end up with it all over the place and all over me, and I try to pack it down but its so freaking messy. I haven't had a chance to try that one out yet though to know if it works/helps.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do we know, is all resin reef safe? I haven's printed anything that actually goes in the water. Our 3d printer is liquid resin based, the kind with the UV cure light.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've printed *tons* of stuff for my aquariums, and right now I'm working on a pico with a custom printed stand/hood/overflow tower.

A bunch of my designs are up on thingiverse. Mostly simple brackets, float switches, holders for power bricks, etc.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to get a printer here soon, as I find 3D modeling quite enjoyable and have already made a few models for the tank that just need to be printed. Printers are also getting cheaper and cheaper by the hundreds, so i hope to see more people using them in everyday life.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guy in StL used to run a place called Printed Reef... Had a booth at many of the local coral shows. Made a whole line of frag racks, probe holders, dosing tube clamps, etc. Seems to be out of the game now.

Even had him custom print a couple of clamps and such I had a need for.

Bought my own printer probably 5 years ago... and upgraded... might do so again fairly soon... Been looking at a Prusa.

A couple of my designs over on thingiverse...

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've printed starfish grab handles for the lids, brackets for equipment, and a snap on cover with a float valve for the skimmer lid to let me recirc the CO2 scrubber without flooding it if the skimmer goes crazy.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back