3D Printed Reef STUFF! How many of you are into it?

Do you have any 3D printed reefing gear?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 183 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 109 27.7%
  • No but would like to try something

Votes: 100 25.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Cajun_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband built a Voron printer a couple of months ago and printed these for our tank. The first is the bright orange clips to help keep up a piece of tinted glass over the sump area, and the second is an Echo holder so we can play music while we clean/do water changes.

1F82C058-2B1D-4135-BFB5-F0F17BA977F9.jpeg 1B29D32E-DB47-41C1-B03D-29BC411C53F7.jpeg

we have some coral coming in the mail tomorrow and Thursday, so I’m going to see if he’ll 3D print me some racks or something to put the coral in while they acclimate to our tanks

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have owned anything 3d printed but the more I see the more I think about possibilities.

So I voted: No, but would like to try something.

I've been playing around with the idea of a soda bottle dripper. I have bought various pvc, bottle to pvc bushings, diy co2 bottle caps.. Even bought bottle preforms to use as a bubble counter.

See crappy drawing next to parts for the idea.

20210302_114118.jpg

Is a 3/16 barb with 1/4 mpt on a bottle cap feasible? Maybe one already exists that I can't seem to find through google?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I have owned anything 3d printed but the more I see the more I think about possibilities.

So I voted: No, but would like to try something.

I've been playing around with the idea of a soda bottle dripper. I have bought various pvc, bottle to pvc bushings, diy co2 bottle caps.. Even bought bottle preforms to use as a bubble counter.

See crappy drawing next to parts for the idea.

20210302_114118.jpg

Is a 3/16 barb with 1/4 mpt on a bottle cap feasible? Maybe one already exists that I can't seem to find through google?

Like this? <Hyperlink

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased 3D printed aquarium parts online from a source, but have not printed my own. I did recently purchase a creality 3d printer but seems that folks don't want to share their designs. I am willing to pay for them but still no go. If anyone has a source that will share their 3d files, please let me know.
There’s a 3D printing sub forum here. Just check out the marketplace and there’s a master list of 3D printed item files

dkrupenn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've printed starfish grab handles for the lids, brackets for equipment, and a snap on cover with a float valve for the skimmer lid to let me recirc the CO2 scrubber without flooding it if the skimmer goes crazy.
Would you be willing to share snap on cover with a float valve for the skimmer lid design file?

Frozen Tundra Reef Dreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need 3d pro to come to my rescue!!! Please point me in direction of a dude that will do custom design!!! Please help I fudged up!!!!

i drilled holes for my overflow too low. eshopps directions didn't mention anything about tanks with trim.... my first time drilling., too excited to get er done.

so I was hoping to get a overflow box for interior printed up. Acrylic thicknesses are 1/4" front panel, and 1/8" rear to give idea for volume. I understand 3d printing has its limitations soI am open to different dimensions.

I was hoping to do a 2 piece that interlocks somehow. So I can take apart for cleaning. Also hoping to do front panel in Black, and back panel in transluscent orange.

Eshopps Prodigy Large

Current dimensions areL
L x W x H
12" x 5/8" x 6

proposed dimensions are

12" x 5/8" x 7 1/4""

I Have pics but cannot attach here

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need 3d pro to come to my rescue!!! Please point me in direction of a dude that will do custom design!!! Please help I fudged up!!!!

i drilled holes for my overflow too low. eshopps directions didn't mention anything about tanks with trim.... my first time drilling., too excited to get er done.

so I was hoping to get a overflow box for interior printed up. Acrylic thicknesses are 1/4" front panel, and 1/8" rear to give idea for volume. I understand 3d printing has its limitations soI am open to different dimensions.

I was hoping to do a 2 piece that interlocks somehow. So I can take apart for cleaning. Also hoping to do front panel in Black, and back panel in transluscent orange.

Eshopps Prodigy Large

Current dimensions areL
L x W x H
12" x 5/8" x 6

proposed dimensions are

12" x 5/8" x 7 1/4""

I Have pics but cannot attach here
I don’t know that 3D printing will be the solution. Prints aren’t necessarily waterproof and 1.25 inches is quite a bit of water to drain into a sump beyond the normal backflow. Plus the bulkheads need to be installed in the back piece which is normally done prior to gluing the acrylic.
Unfortunately you may need to have a custom acrylic overflow made, or move the overflow, put bulkheads in the old holes and use them as returns.

Frozen Tundra Reef Dreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know that 3D printing will be the solution. Prints aren’t necessarily waterproof and 1.25 inches is quite a bit of water to drain into a sump beyond the normal backflow. Plus the bulkheads need to be installed in the back piece which is normally done prior to gluing the acrylic.
Unfortunately you may need to have a custom acrylic overflow made, or move the overflow, put bulkheads in the old holes and use them as returns.
I understand your points. Im essentially adding volume to interior box, and raising weir. I will be nusing the eshopps exterior box and it is in the lower location, is a 3 drain system which i will be doing bean animal or herbie. and controlled by a gate valve.

will raising the weir, but leaving the exterior box in original, lower position cause issues?

As far as waterproof I planned on using some type of epoxy or ca if tight enough seal cannot be done.

SavageReefGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you know you could print your own reef gear or have someone else do it? We even have a new forum just for it here. Today I was thinking about 3D printed stuff and was wondering how many reefers are actually into this or have gear that was 3D printed! Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have any reefing gear that was 3D printed?

2. Have you ever 3D printed your own aquarium items?

image example of items via R2R sponsor @Printed Reef
1.Yes i bought a diffuser from 3D reefing
2.What i would love to print is an bracket mount for a 120mm computer fan to work as a cooling fan

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i would love to print is an bracket mount for a 120mm computer fan to work as a cooling fan

I designed a cool low profile hang-on fan bracket for computer fans- its for 140mm but easily scaled down to 120mm. Gets about three degrees of cooling on my reefer 350 using a Noctua IP67 140mm fan. Powered by apex 24v port

See: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4605608

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 11.18.21 AM.png

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have; 1. montipora frag plugs, made to attach the monticap to the aquarium glass more easily. 2. A Cor15 return pump screen to help keep my pump safe from debris. 3. A specially designed funnel so I can have my AFF hidden away in my sump yet allow the food to make it to the DT. 4. A iPad mini holder so I can keep my iPad at my tank with my Neptune fusion panel up all the time.

Most, if not all, of theses are in my build thread for anyone to see.

Enjoy the hobby!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back