3D printed threaded fittings.

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'm getting a little frustrated with having to deal with all the different pipe thread standards and having to find adapters etc. Typically equipment is sold with what seems like proprietary unions. Course once you glue you have little options to reuse or reconfigure. Also I hate having to stack multiple unions ...just makes plumbing more bulky than it needs to be. Since most of our circulation needs are low pressure I was wondering if anyone has ventured into the realm of printing your own fittings. It would be so nice to be able to make custom fittings so you don't have to use multiple adapters to get the connection you want. Interested in hearing from people that have actually tried it.

Thanks!

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
printing plumbing parts are not Ideal, simply due to the fact that the prints are layered, and cannot hold pressure as well as a solid PVC part or pipe... Having PVC material is great, with the correct parts list and equipment, you can simplify your plumbing, and keep it very affordable.

I found that if you don't plan it out correctly, you will end up with tons of parts that you will not use, and are spending money that you dont need to.

OP
OP
D

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemme clarify, by default I used the term 3D print since this forum is called exactly that. What I meant was rapid prototype (SLA etc) everything short of machining a fitting on a lathe. Again, most aquarium circulation requirements are low pressure, not even close to the pressure rating of sch 40 pvc. In fact I've cut down pvc fittings with only .025" glue joint with no problems. In anycase, rapid prototyping has come a long way and there many materials available that would be suitable for aquarium use. Curious if anyone has done this and what you learned in the process.

Thanks!

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have printed with PETG for submerged fittings with no issues. For non submerged fittings, I would imagine PETG and then coated with clear epoxy would work well.

The limitation for me is the bed size. Can only print up to 10" lengths and they take a long time.

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petg printed threaded fittings are da bomb. So far it has printed great for me.

However, like I mentioned, I haven't tried fittings for straight plumbing... The closest thing is a barbed + threaded fittings for a pump.

I'm currently trying to print a overflow unit so we'll see how well it holds water and resists sucking in air to maintain siphon.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into this when I got an sla printer. Unfortunately the manufacturer said they don't have any resins that would be safe for this application.

They sent me a paper on how to process prints for food safe contact and most of it was making a mold on the printer and casting the part you want out of silicone.

None of their resin would pass nsf-61 after curing. It was stated to me as still toxic and not recommended

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made fittings for my flow sensors on the lathe out of pvc. Some i used pvc rod and others modified a purchased fitting

OP
OP
D

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into this when I got an sla printer. Unfortunately the manufacturer said they don't have any resins that would be safe for this application.

They sent me a paper on how to process prints for food safe contact and most of it was making a mold on the printer and casting the part you want out of silicone.

None of their resin would pass nsf-61 after curing. It was stated to me as still toxic and not recommended
Yeah, SLA resins are pretty harsh. FDM might be better suited to parts in contact with water.
I have made fittings for my flow sensors on the lathe out of pvc. Some i used pvc rod and others modified a purchased fitting
I've turned down stuff to make them fit but cutting threads on a lathe is a pita.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back