3ppm Nitrates okay to avoid Dinoflagellates?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate levels are hovering just below 0.07ppm and I'm having to dose Nitrates as it was 1.0ppm, and I was advised to bring that value up to 5ppm to avoid Dinoflagellates. I can't find anywhere that explains why a low phosphate and nitrate concentration causes Dinos, and what is the minimum safe value of both Phosphates and Nitrates one should strive for to avoid this nuisance.

Welcome any thoughts.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because dinos are opportunistic. When there is measurable nutrients the bacteria that consume those nutrients are able to outcompete the dinos. Remove the bacteria food and the dinos go bonkers.

I could be wrong here (hopefully someone will correct me if I am so I don't misinform) but that's how I understand it

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero nutrients will bring on dinos. Keeping nitrate at 5 was recommended so that it provides a buffer.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate levels are hovering just below 0.07ppm and I'm having to dose Nitrates as it was 1.0ppm, and I was advised to bring that value up to 5ppm to avoid Dinoflagellates. I can't find anywhere that explains why a low phosphate and nitrate concentration causes Dinos, and what is the minimum safe value of both Phosphates and Nitrates one should strive for to avoid this nuisance.

Welcome any thoughts.
That number is just fine.
If it runs stable at that number, no changes.

crazereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because dinos are opportunistic. When there is measurable nutrients the bacteria that consume those nutrients are able to outcompete the dinos. Remove the bacteria food and the dinos go bonkers.

I could be wrong here (hopefully someone will correct me if I am so I don't misinform) but that's how I understand it
This is a solid explanation, they are opportunistic. Sometimes even with raising nitrates they are hard to eradicate. A high wattage UV will help.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the explanation. Just so I understand it, so we're having to make sure Nitrates are adequate, so to feed the certain type of bacteria that are needed to outnumber the dinos?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back