3rd Time is a charm?!? (Kinda starting to lose hope)

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man my tank had a super algae outbreak at the start, grew into a forest. Then I threw a foxface in there and didn't feed him for two weeks, ate it all. Just let it run, it's going to get ugly. Keep testing about wait for the ammonia/nitrate spike then they'll work down to around zero and you'll be good to go. Patience is key, took my tank 4 months to cycle.

Before Foxface:
sM5GbXgl.jpg

After:
SUDR40Fl.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.....

I added one Crab and One Snail with same results.
  • Since I have Looked for any electricity in the Tank. (None Found)
  • I have shut down everything but the return pump just to double check with same results
So it has to be the salt.... There is nothing left except one last thought....
  • I 3D Printed my Algae Scrubber Top Bar with PETG Plastic. MAYBE the plastic is leaching something? I have read in a lot of places that 3D Printing with Food Safe Plastic is fine and have had no ill results.
    • Also this Study shows it safe as well. But I have since removed it just to be safe.
  • Again I am reaching here, but it is the only thing left on my entire system that isn't "Made for Marine Life" everything else has been bought.
I am going to go buy some Instant Ocean and see where I end up, I think my test will be to mix up 10 Gallons of IO, put in critters to verify that my acclimation methods are okay. If they live just fine then I know its the salt. Essentially set up a quarantine tank to test. Not sure what else to do. If that doesn't work I am at my ropes end.

On the bright side my Algae Scrubber is doing great!!! It is growing Algae as it should and is nice bright green 3 weeks in.

IMG_20180526_142309.jpg

Ugh. That is depressing.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe an ICP test just to see. They test RO/DI as well with it too.

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. That is depressing.
Right...

I went back and visited the stray voltage idea... Turns out I do have 9.2-9.9v in my display Tank... Ordered a Grounding Probe.

Also have enough RO/DI Water to make an entire new batch of water for my system. Going to drain the water out of it and fill it back up with Instant Ocean and see where we are. I am hopeful between the two I will have solved my problem. I figure the rocks is where the bacteria are not the water so a drain refill shouldn't mess my cycle up to bad. I will try to re-cycle it again but my hopes are that the bacteria are established enough to not let em do it. We will see...

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....

After a full day of making RO/DI water, Buying fresh New Salt, Draining 95% of the System and now refilled... The System is back online!!

Feels good, but also that is a heck of a choir! Here's to solving problems and having critters soon!

IMG_20180527_220717.jpg

OP
OP
Dierks

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SUCCESS!!

I am SO HAPPY to report I found my Issue (Well Narrowed it down to 2)
  • Getting my water Grounded - I had 10v running through my water
    • I had a stinging in my cuts when I put my hand in the water so if you feel this make sure you check if you have any stray Voltage
  • New Salt -
    • I don't think this was the issue, but I did change Salt Brands to IO - I like that it doesn't smell and mixes clean very quickly.
I am so happy to have a single snail in my system!! I know it sounds silly but it has been a 2 month battle to figure it out.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SUCCESS!!

I am SO HAPPY to report I found my Issue (Well Narrowed it down to 2)
  • Getting my water Grounded - I had 10v running through my water
    • I had a stinging in my cuts when I put my hand in the water so if you feel this make sure you check if you have any stray Voltage
  • New Salt -
    • I don't think this was the issue, but I did change Salt Brands to IO - I like that it doesn't smell and mixes clean very quickly.
I am so happy to have a single snail in my system!! I know it sounds silly but it has been a 2 month battle to figure it out.

Very nice to hear!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back