Votes: 24 88.9%

• Total voters

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi

might be a stupid question (and poll), but i would like your opinions on tank size/volume. i'm considering taking 2 identical tanks, whether it be 3x2x2 or the 4x2x2 and using one as a the display tank, and the other as the custom sump.

i originally wanted to look at a 3x2x2f (85G) / (90x60x60cm = 324l) tank as i feel it would fit the the area where the tank was going. after looking around, i found some very decent deals on 4x2x2f (114G) / (120x60x60cm = 432l) tanks, so i thought i might go with these instead, however after measuring this out, i feel somewhat overwhelmed and intimidated with it's sheer size and presence. i of course, realise the difference in volume is huge over two identical tanks and would result in more water stability. the other aspect holding me back with the larger tank is that any movement will require multiple helpers, larger stand and some adjustments to how doors open and close. i feel my wife might give me hard time about it, although she currently seems to be supportive, but that might not last very long when she sees the overbearing size and shape of the tanks.

your thoughts and reasons?

thanks
sk

Osaurus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very rarely will you find someone in this hobby that wishes they had gone smaller. The larger tanks will allow more flexibility and freedom for livestock, rockscapes, equipment, etc. A lot of us are riding a fine line with our wives acceptance of this expensive endeavor. I say if you have her approval for the bigger tank, take it and run!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds to me like you already know what you want. :). Trust your instincts. If you select the right tank for you for good logical reasons then you'll be happy and you won't second guess yourself down the road.

I could've gone bigger than I did, don't regret it at all as it fits so well where it is. I may upgrade later, but I don't have any doubts I made best decision for me at the time.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4x2x2 is a great reef tank dimension, but I don't know about it as a sump. I think you'd end up with a lot of unused height. Now making it into a display refugium ... that could be awesome.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4x2x2 custom external overflow rimless tank that used to be a reef tank. I got a Waterbox 100.3 36x2x2 (ish) and moved the reef to it and the 120 is a freshwater tank.
I like the smaller size, can light it great with one orphek and I personally just don’t like large reefs. Too much anxiety for me. Get what you like, bigger is better is total nonsense if you like smaller.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the dimensions of the 4x2x2 for the fish options.
Aquascaping the 3x2x2 is easier. With the length and width that near each other it’s virtually impossible to not create a tank with a lot of depth. Like comparing a 40b to a 55 standard. 55 just try to not make a rock wall.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your depth and width being the same on both, reaching in will feel the same. The extra foot in length will give the fish more room and you more rock and coral space.

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like the people have spoken! 90% 4x2x2... i ran it by my wife and she didn't go ballistic, i guess that's approval ;Joyful

jace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no question in my book. 4x2x2 is such a better profile and the volume and space for the inhabitants takes the Cake!!!

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We can tell you all day which display to go with, but if it doesn't fit your decor and room location going bigger isn't necessarily the right choice. The other thing that will also help you decide on which size tank would be the animals you plan to keep in it. Fish like Tangs and some fairy wrasses that grow 5"-6" in length, need more swimming room than a 3' tank.
Is there ever a chance that you would look to upgrade and go bigger in the future in the house you are living now? If that answer is a "YES", then just go bigger now so you don't have to upgrade in the future.

Back