3yr old Wrasse hidden under sand for 4 weeks

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted in fish forum a week ago. Reposted here for more views:

I have a 3 year old yellow and purple wrasse. It will occasionally hid under the sand for a few days. The longest it's ever done this was 2 weeks right when I got it.

4 weeks ago it went to sleep and it hasn't come out since.

No changes to my old and established 300g tank. No behavior changes. No new additions. Nothing in my house changed. Everything is as it's always been.

The wrasse was about 3-4" when I got it and now it is about 6".

No visible signs of disease.

No bullying. I only have a Magnificent Foxface, black & white clown, royal Gramma and sleeper dragon goby.

Literally nothing I can think of that would make it hide for this long or die.

The longest I've read about a wrasse hiding is 1 month.

My question is this: when should I go searching for the body?

It's terrible timing because I was planning a major aquascape change that's been put on hold.

Very sad because this was my first and only wrasse. :(

To all the wrasse lovers out there: what's the longest you'd wait until youd search for the body?

At this point I'm pretty sure he died under the sand but I want to give him ever shot.

* Not possible he jumped out. Totally enclosed Hood

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One unfortunate thing about wrasses is they have a shorter life span than other reef fish. I’ve heard 3-5 years. I’m guessing he is dead, sorry. But not sure it would help much to go look for it besides stirring up your sand bed. Sounds like you have an established tank. May not be much left to find.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One unfortunate thing about wrasses is they have a shorter life span than other reef fish. I’ve heard 3-5 years. I’m guessing he is dead, sorry. But not sure it would help much to go look for it besides stirring up your sand bed. Sounds like you have an established tank. May not be much left to find.
Interesting. Wrasse lifespans is the one thing I had not considered or read up on. Not sure how old he was when I got him either. He's definitely 4+yrs. I may have got him 4 years ago actually. So easily could be 5+.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melagris leopard hid for a good solid month when I first got her. All my wrasses(5) come out everyday now though. You can almost set your watch to the leopards.

I think at this point with a well established tank, and sandbed, you may not find a body.

I would just do the aquascape and maybe it will shoot out.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melagris leopard hid for a good solid month when I first got her. All my wrasses(5) come out everyday now though. You can almost set your watch to the leopards.

I think at this point with a well established tank, and sandbed, you may not find a body.

I would just do the aquascape and maybe it will shoot out.

I'll probably give him this week and redo the aquascape next weekend. This weekend is toast already. Fingers crossed!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When an established fish suddenly changes behavior it is usually not a good thing. My guess is that your wrasse has died of old age. I’ve had a few sand burying wrasses last close to 7 years, but 5 seems to be the median.

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When an established fish suddenly changes behavior it is usually not a good thing. My guess is that your wrasse has died of old age. I’ve had a few sand burying wrasses last close to 7 years, but 5 seems to be the median.
Well - surprise surprise its alive!

I saw its tail sticking out swaying in the flow so I tried to pull it out. It swam away and then hid again! Looked pretty good actually. As soon as it swam around, my fox face seemed to swim towards it. Evolved suggested it's a bully issue.

I banished the Foxface to the sump for an extended timeout.

Since it's been over two months, I assume the wrasse has actually been coming out at night or early morning and eating??

Do you think I should give it another week to two and see if it feels safe to come out?

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just learned how long a fish can go without eating.....

Found it this morning partially decomposed. :(

Amazingly it was still full weight-wise. It doesn't appear to have really lost any weight during its near 2 month hibernation under the sand. My guess is the malnutrition caused it's organs to fail. I always feel terrible when this happens.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

WOW I did not know this. good to know when you are thinking about those expensive wrasses...

Back