OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more ideas for Corals to look for…

So far I have;
- More Yuma colours to mix in
- Sarcophyton elegans
- and 4 Frags of SPS growing in my nano.

One thing to remember is;
This is a Mixed Reef but also it has risky fish when it comes to corals :)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more ideas for Corals to look for…

So far I have;
- More Yuma colours to mix in
- Sarcophyton elegans
- and 4 Frags of SPS growing in my nano.

One thing to remember is;
This is a Mixed Reef but also it has risky fish when it comes to corals :)
Hard because I don't know what's available over there but things that caught my interest today were these bright red discosomas. I also saw some Hydnophora that looked cool. Maybe some more leathers like a nepthea or a toadstool?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recognize everyone by their avatar picture but now you both have regal angels so it's messing me up, I forget who's thread I'm on and who's posting. I'm old and easily confused lol

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recognize everyone by their avatar picture but now you both have regal angels so it's messing me up, I forget who's thread I'm on and who's posting. I'm old and easily confused lol
Honestly that's happening to me too :grimacing-face: . For a second I thought I said something intelligent earlier but alas...

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard because I don't know what's available over there but things that caught my interest today were these bright red discosomas. I also saw some Hydnophora that looked cool. Maybe some more leathers like a nepthea or a toadstool?
Definitely got a nepthea on the list!
Generally, I have more corals from the Red Sea available but what’s available over here is likely to be more compared to you guys in terms of Softies (We seem to be larger with Softies than we are with Acros… Acro’s are relatively new to the markets over here ours are flooded with softies and LPS).

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, I have more corals from the Red Sea available but what’s available over here is likely to be more compared to you guys in terms of Softies (We seem to be larger with Softies than we are with Acros… Acro’s are relatively new to the markets over here ours are flooded with softies and LPS).
Can I ask why don’t you just chuck the tank full of lps or softies if you like them? And add liek a nice acro field at soem top key points? I can’t stand looking at rock lol I look for every inch for coral real estate.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why don’t you just chuck the tank full of lps or softies if you like them? And add liek a nice acro field at soem top key points? I can’t stand looking at rock lol I look for every inch for coral real estate.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, my biggest reason is I have to be cautious with the fish I have.
I find the rockwork just adds to the affect and honestly, I cannot stand something looking out of place which is my fear when I add a new coral.
I always need to add something that matches the rest of them and kind of fades throughout the different ‘types’ of coral.
I also keep trying to aim for the natural over artificial look, many SPS reefs I see are beautiful but something just looks artificial about most of them. The other downside to SPS reefs is, the top of the reef is SPS yes, but when you go to the bottom and look between the SPS you’re likely to find LPS and Softies thriving! This is what I aim to create, the part below the top of the reef. Hence why I’m also incorporating SPS into the mix, so I can have the top of the reef as SPS but then as you go down you have the true beauties!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that’s the reason :squinting-face-with-tongue:
I mean, you’re not wrong haha.
LPS and Softies mix well together most of the time but when you have a Trachy just thrown in the middle, it detracts from the rest of the group! Mixing everything in with eachother makes it seem nicer in my eyes haha.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, my biggest reason is I have to be cautious with the fish I have.
I find the rockwork just adds to the affect and honestly, I cannot stand something looking out of place which is my fear when I add a new coral.
I always need to add something that matches the rest of them and kind of fades throughout the different ‘types’ of coral.
I also keep trying to aim for the natural over artificial look, many SPS reefs I see are beautiful but something just looks artificial about most of them.
That’s what’s nice about having a reef no? You can add so much diversity and colors! I get though lol. Careful when you add things that match and tie in with the colors you have or you could end up with the problem Alex from Reef Dork had. All of the same type and color, and he ended up not liking it as it looks bland. Not saying your idea would be bland just a little thought.

Maybe because in the wild you don’t see a bright neon green or deep blue/purple, or giant red or orange table sized pieces. I guess it would be a lot of color, and I see you’ve gone for the natural look with the coral and the lights.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, you’re not wrong haha.
LPS and Softies mix well together most of the time but when you have a Trachy just thrown in the middle, it detracts from the rest of the group! Mixing everything in with eachother makes it seem nicer in my eyes haha.
No idea is a bad idea when keeping coral, unless you’re killing them lol. I agree a Trachy may look out of place, but what about some large frogspawn or nice big plating monti somewhere?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what part of England do you live?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what’s nice about having a reef no? You can add so much diversity and colors! I get though lol. Careful when you add things that match and tie in with the colors you have or you could end up with the problem Alex from Reef Dork had. All of the same type and color, and he ended up not liking it as it looks bland. Not saying your idea would be bland just a little thought.

Maybe because in the wild you don’t see a bright neon green or deep blue/purple, or giant red or orange table sized pieces. I guess it would be a lot of color, and I see you’ve gone for the natural look with the coral and the lights.
Definitely being careful with that, I’m hunting for things that are more colourful but not overly bright like a neon green slimer. I had a gorgeous deep green A. yongei which added the perfect colour and wasn’t too bright. I hope I can come across the same type of coral again. But my main plan is to add subtle colours that aren’t in your face but also aren’t just brown and beige.
In what part of England do you live?
I live in the south, slightly towards the west. The main county near by is I believe Dorset.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 45 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.5%
Back