4.1 gallon Rock Flower Macro Build.

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting a new build using a rimless Lifeguard Aquatics 4.1 gallon AIO. Everything has been ordered except the rock flowers. Pictures to come soon.

Lighting is the Kessel H80 Tuna Flora no skimmer as its going to be packed with macro algae. Algae coming from my main tank will be String of Pearls and Dragons Breath. Give me some good ideas for some green macros that won't go sexual or take over the whole tank.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pico came today. Used some extra crushed coral I had on hand and a few dry rocks from my other tank. I would seed this from my 28 gallon but the fear of spreading vermited snails to the pico... I'm starting from scratch.

The light is an aquaon led light thats just on there cause the kessel hasn't got here yet and I only have it turned on for the picture, it looks as if it were made for it though.

I've added a table shrimp to start the cycle and temperature is at 86 degrees, this may not be the proper way to do it but it works.

I won't be adding a skimmer, I still need to pick out a powerhead, any suggestions?
20210108_165850.jpg
20210108_165829.jpg
20210108_165824.jpg

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less than 24 hours with the shrimp, I believe I over did it a little lol. Pulled most of the shrimp, I'm gonna see of it comes down to around 4 ppm. I went and pulled a rock from my established tank to speed things along.
20210109_114230.jpg

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4 showing a tad nitrite and nitrates. Ammonia is still going strong, I dosed a bunch of reef roids this morning. Don't really care about high phosphates or nitrates when this is said and done, this will be packed with algae anyways.
20210111_193509.jpg

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessel Tuna Flora H80 arrived today. Cycle is still coming along. I ordered Pom Pom, Dragons Breath, Halimeda and Codium, the macro in the tank already is String of pearls, I've been growing that strand for 8 years. I'm still a ways away before I can get the rock flower anenomes.

I need to clean the glass on the inside, its giving it that glow.

20210112_202505.jpg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to pick out a powerhead, any suggestions?

I just added the hygger mini to my 2.5-3ish gallon pico and after some messing around with it was able to get it to work. Very small footprint and quite a bit of flow.

OP
OP
joekidwell

joekidwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added the hygger mini to my 2.5-3ish gallon pico and after some messing around with it was able to get it to work. Very small footprint and quite a bit of flow.

I ordered the Hydor 1200 return pump, I've been talking to a guy on nano reef who has one on his 4.1. I'll be able to go without a powerhead due to the increased flow. If it works, it will keep it simple inside.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Hydor 1200 return pump, I've been talking to a guy on nano reef who has one on his 4.1. I'll be able to go without a powerhead due to the increased flow. If it works, it will keep it simple inside.
Perfect! I had to buffer the flow with the live rock to make it work for me because mine is so small. I tried upgrading the return and had a pretty serious temp spike so I dropped back down and did the hygger instead

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very pleased with the Hydor 1200, its pumping twice the flow as the stock quiet one 400 and its more quiet. No powerhead will be needed.
20210113_160412.jpg
Hows the Hydor pump working? setting up one to start cycling in a week or so and if the pump is loud going to replace it. Just worried about the overflow keeping up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back