4' 120 Gallon w/ 60 Gallon Sump Stocking ideas

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone - First time poster, long time lurker.

First Post!!

So I'm getting back into the hobby, I've always ran Nano tanks no larger than 20 Gallons. That being said, I'm hoping I can get some great ideas on what types of Fish/Inverts I can put together in this total 180~ Gallons of Water!

Only Criteria I have:

-Reef Safe
-Preferably no Snails
-Lots of color (my wife said)
-Some open water swimmers would be great

I am very interested to see what types of combos I could do of this. I know this is broad but I'd like to see the success you've all had (or not).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone - First time poster, long time lurker.

First Post!!

So I'm getting back into the hobby, I've always ran Nano tanks no larger than 20 Gallons. That being said, I'm hoping I can get some great ideas on what types of Fish/Inverts I can put together in this total 180~ Gallons of Water!

Only Criteria I have:

-Reef Safe
-Preferably no Snails
-Lots of color (my wife said)
-Some open water swimmers would be great

I am very interested to see what types of combos I could do of this. I know this is broad but I'd like to see the success you've all had (or not).
Open water swimmers? First thing that comes to mind is a wrasse gang. The Wrasse Lovers thread has a bunch of different species/specimens of wrasses and some people have mentioned the aggression that comes with them.

I would let it establish a bit before deciding on this however a tilefish or two could be a nice addition. If you need help on tilefish care, I’ve kept a variety thriving throughout 2021 and 2020. I also have my very own specimen thriving in my 4’ tank (Hoplolatilus chlupatyi).

For the top two families, a lid is a MUST.

I recommend if you want more fish, stick to smaller fish with a few larger ones that get 4”. The reason for this is it’s not natural to find like 10 large fish and 3 smaller ones, you find more like 3-4 large fish and 9-10 smaller ones.

Dart fish/firefish are good filler fish - again you need a lid

I’m assuming you’d want an algae eater?
If so then foxfaces are good and don’t reach much bigger than 6-7”. If you want a less aggressive tang, Ctenochaetus is a good place to go (And just about the only genus of tang suited to any medium sized aquarium), colour wise Ctenochaetus tominiensis and Ctenochaetus CF striatus are nice colours as juveniles (Cf striatus gets rather dull as adults if I remember correctly) another good fish for colour and utility is Ctenochaetus flavicauda.

That’s just a few recommendations :)

Invert wise, go wild!! Some wrasses are risky with inverts (Melanurus wrasses and larger Halichoeres are risky but the smaller ones such as iridis, chrysus, leucoxanthus won’t).

OP
OP
R

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open water swimmers? First thing that comes to mind is a wrasse gang. The Wrasse Lovers thread has a bunch of different species/specimens of wrasses and some people have mentioned the aggression that comes with them.

I would let it establish a bit before deciding on this however a tilefish or two could be a nice addition. If you need help on tilefish care, I’ve kept a variety thriving throughout 2021 and 2020. I also have my very own specimen thriving in my 4’ tank (Hoplolatilus chlupatyi).

For the top two families, a lid is a MUST.

I recommend if you want more fish, stick to smaller fish with a few larger ones that get 4”. The reason for this is it’s not natural to find like 10 large fish and 3 smaller ones, you find more like 3-4 large fish and 9-10 smaller ones.

Dart fish/firefish are good filler fish - again you need a lid

I’m assuming you’d want an algae eater?
If so then foxfaces are good and don’t reach much bigger than 6-7”. If you want a less aggressive tang, Ctenochaetus is a good place to go (And just about the only genus of tang suited to any medium sized aquarium), colour wise Ctenochaetus tominiensis and Ctenochaetus CF striatus are nice colours as juveniles (Cf striatus gets rather dull as adults if I remember correctly) another good fish for colour and utility is Ctenochaetus flavicauda.

That’s just a few recommendations :)

Invert wise, go wild!! Some wrasses are risky with inverts (Melanurus wrasses and larger Halichoeres are risky but the smaller ones such as iridis, chrysus, leucoxanthus won’t).

Thank you so much for your insight, I never even considered Tilefish. I would definitely love to hear more about the flashing tilefish that you are housing currently. Those look amazing!

I appreciate you bringing up how unnatural it may look to have too many "big" fish. I was hoping I could get away with maybe a Foxface and Bristletooth Tang for my big and utilitarian fish. A wrasse or two is definitely on the list! I love leopard wrasses to be honest but I know how much of a pain they can be.

For clean up crew, how do you feel about just having the foxface, bristletooth tang, and maybe a sand sifting star eventually? I really don't like hermits or snails.

I also do have a lid :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your insight, I never even considered Tilefish. I would definitely love to hear more about the flashing tilefish that you are housing currently. Those look amazing!

I appreciate you bringing up how unnatural it may look to have too many "big" fish. I was hoping I could get away with maybe a Foxface and Bristletooth Tang for my big and utilitarian fish. A wrasse or two is definitely on the list! I love leopard wrasses to be honest but I know how much of a pain they can be.

I also do have a lid :)
If you look up “Tilefish” there’s a bunch of threads all made by me trying to find information on them I also have a thread with the information I’m gaining from this specimen!! Here’s an old photo of mine :)
0A74FB13-A282-40AF-95EF-A6D639885865.jpeg

Some of the other species I have kept thriving throughout the years:
- 4x Blue Throat Tilefish
- 1x Purple Tilefish

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a Beaut. And I am definitely doing that!
I love trying to get more people to see how tilefish aren’t as bad as they are when labelled. Unfortunately it’s hard to do so when it’s second hand experience or when there’s so few people keeping these fish thriving. I think I’m one of a very small number of people owning this genus of fish, I would love to try have a second tilefish to add with this specimen since they settle in faster and are braver in groups or pairs.
I think the reason why some don’t flash in captivity is when they aren’t truly settled in. Usually this fish will flash at any reason it is given, in some of the threads I’ve mentioned what colours mine goes and when he most commonly does it.
Also, who doesn’t love a bit of comedy, I mean look at this shrimp compared to the fish. They’re almost the same size haha.
I was laughing whilst watching the shrimp clean him then get pushed off then he wanted to be cleaned more.
E97C7243-FBB3-4015-B3A9-61B0272BEE08.jpeg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why no snails? They are probably the best way to clear algae films off the rocks and hard to reach areas of the glass.

Stocking is so subjective and open. I'd say find a fish you want to feature and then plan around it. Personally for my next tank I will be emulating a specific zone of the reef and am planning my corals and fishes around that. On the other handsome people just pick a bunch that look cool and put them in. Some prefer to plan out a balance of different colors and swimming styles to maximize visual interest.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with the above, I’ve managed to wind up with 2 fish from different areas, I think of them as “Tourists” but the rest from Indonesia. In my 4’x2’x2’ here’s what I have, and my favourite photo of each one:

Halichoeres chloropterus (Jade Wrasse), these are on the aggressive side and mine is a transitioning phase male, this is from Indonesia.
54D48607-80B9-428D-AB49-5598B88336C5.jpeg

Ctenochaetus binotatus (Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang) this is a rather peaceful specimen and I find this to be one of the more peaceful of the genus - Also Indonesian.
C37499D7-D3FA-40A8-8277-6EA9FA2732CF.jpeg

Siganus Magnificus (Magnificent Foxface) this is just a peaceful giant, he will stand up for himself though, this is also Indonesian.
C768E16C-E136-4A6B-843A-B64BE84B34B2.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus (Black Margin Fairy Wrasse) this isn’t meant to go well with other specimens of Cirrhilabrus - Also Indonesian.
BA60E2CA-6D3E-4CC2-902C-20278AABF8A1.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both Variants), these aren’t meant to coexist either haha.
F08A1D88-DE81-45DE-9CCA-D58F9130CDBF.jpeg

Amphiprion oscelaris x Amphiprion percula (Black Photon Clownfish), grouchy like any clownfish. CB but probably would be found in Indonesia if it was wild.
DBF4034B-DC74-413A-80CE-85EE58AD6E0D.jpeg

Halichoeres iridis (Radiant Wrasse) peaceful and just chills, they are bad shippers though. This is an African wrasse
DBFB2389-B372-4D67-A4EA-30274FCCD75A.jpeg

Chelmon rostratus (CBB) Everyone knows this fish haha. This specimen is Australian.
683B59E0-584F-4FE6-8F92-AA585E4F780F.jpeg

Genicanthus melanospilos (Spot Breast Angelfish) basically the same as the foxface - also Indonesian.
6CFAE595-ED50-4F7C-B100-8900B3FADBE9.jpeg

And the last fish in there is the tilefish :)

OP
OP
R

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why no snails? They are probably the best way to clear algae films off the rocks and hard to reach areas of the glass.

Stocking is so subjective and open. I'd say find a fish you want to feature and then plan around it. Personally for my next tank I will be emulating a specific zone of the reef and am planning my corals and fishes around that. On the other handsome people just pick a bunch that look cool and put them in. Some prefer to plan out a balance of different colors and swimming styles to maximize visual interest.

Would you say they would do a better job than like Shrimp and Tang? I'm not like 1000% against them I just would prefer to not have shells everywhere in the tank haha. I'm weird. If I had to pick some up, I'd consider Trochus I suppose.

I'm basically planning around 1 or 2 tangs. Wife let me spend what I want if I promised to get a tang or two because we couldn't have any in the nanos.

I started a build thread! :)

I completely agree with the above, I’ve managed to wind up with 2 fish from different areas, I think of them as “Tourists” but the rest from Indonesia. In my 4’x2’x2’ here’s what I have, and my favourite photo of each one:

Halichoeres chloropterus (Jade Wrasse), these are on the aggressive side and mine is a transitioning phase male, this is from Indonesia.
Ctenochaetus binotatus (Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang) this is a rather peaceful specimen and I find this to be one of the more peaceful of the genus - Also Indonesian.
Siganus Magnificus (Magnificent Foxface) this is just a peaceful giant, he will stand up for himself though, this is also Indonesian.
Cirrhilabrus melanomarginatus (Black Margin Fairy Wrasse) this isn’t meant to go well with other specimens of Cirrhilabrus - Also Indonesian.
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Both Variants), these aren’t meant to coexist either haha.
Amphiprion oscelaris x Amphiprion percula (Black Photon Clownfish), grouchy like any clownfish. CB but probably would be found in Indonesia if it was wild.
Halichoeres iridis (Radiant Wrasse) peaceful and just chills, they are bad shippers though. This is an African wrasse
Chelmon rostratus (CBB) Everyone knows this fish haha. This specimen is Australian.
Genicanthus melanospilos (Spot Breast Angelfish) basically the same as the foxface - also Indonesian.
And the last fish in there is the tilefish :)

I cant think, your fish selection is on point. I'll definitely keep that in mind, trying to replicate natural location of fish somewhat.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say they would do a better job than like Shrimp and Tang? I'm not like 1000% against them I just would prefer to not have shells everywhere in the tank haha. I'm weird. If I had to pick some up, I'd consider Trochus I suppose.
It's not a matter of "better" but tangs and snails attack different types of algae. There will be a green film that grows on the glass and rocks of course and while it is easy to scrape the glass the rocks it's not so easy. Snails will clean it right up and eventually coralline will win the battle for space. My tangs always pick at it but never seem to clear it. Snails on the other hand leave the rock pure white or the glass crystal clear when they find an algae patch.

The best snails for this film are turbos, trochus, Astrea, and limpets. Most snails will eat this but those guys are the best and also most of those tend to be long lived if not overstocked. You don't need too many of them to keep the "grass" trimmed, no need to do a snail per gallon or whatever the cleaner packages are as those are all wayyyy overstocked and the population of those always crashes which is how you end up with hundreds of snail shells. Start small and add to it if they can't keep up.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that the tilefish is the fish that gets the most sun, makes it so much easier to grab pictures of his colours in full glory!!
My profile picture shows his colours when he’s hit at the right angle with sunlight :)

OP
OP
R

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a matter of "better" but tangs and snails attack different types of algae. There will be a green film that grows on the glass and rocks of course and while it is easy to scrape the glass the rocks it's not so easy. Snails will clean it right up and eventually coralline will win the battle for space. My tangs always pick at it but never seem to clear it. Snails on the other hand leave the rock pure white or the glass crystal clear when they find an algae patch.

The best snails for this film are turbos, trochus, Astrea, and limpets. Most snails will eat this but those guys are the best and also most of those tend to be long lived if not overstocked. You don't need too many of them to keep the "grass" trimmed, no need to do a snail per gallon or whatever the cleaner packages are as those are all wayyyy overstocked and the population of those always crashes which is how you end up with hundreds of snail shells. Start small and add to it if they can't keep up.

Okay, you've convinced me. I'll do Trochus snails! :p

I love that the tilefish is the fish that gets the most sun, makes it so much easier to grab pictures of his colours in full glory!!
My profile picture shows his colours when he’s hit at the right angle with sunlight :)

I'm studying up on Tilefish the last couple days. They've definitely peaked my interest!

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, you've convinced me. I'll do Trochus snails! :p

I'm studying up on Tilefish the last couple days. They've definitely peaked my interest!
I’d recommend a conch also, assuming you are having a sandbed, and a couple turbo snails for the glass and rocks. Trochus snails are absolutely great, but the different species of snails attack different species of algae.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two spot bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) is one of my favorite fish in my 80 gallon tank that has the same exact footprint as your tank (it’s just shorter). It is constantly grazing on the rocks and swimming around the tank, and is subtly gorgeous.

OP
OP
R

region.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two spot bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus) is one of my favorite fish in my 80 gallon tank that has the same exact footprint as your tank (it’s just shorter). It is constantly grazing on the rocks and swimming around the tank, and is subtly gorgeous.

I hadn't considered the conchs. They look pretty cool! And for my Tang the bristletooth is a forsure. Thanks for your input !

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back