OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for Nitrate. I used API to test ammonia. I am getting 0 ammonia on API. I have not tested Nitrite no LFS has a Nitrite test in anything other than in a 4 test package deal and I don't want everything else in it.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is a good choice for nitrates. @DDenny 25ppm is not too high, but could be lower. I would try to keep it around 5-10. Not a big deal though if it moves out of that range. When the time comes, just monitor your corals appearance. Softies and LPS tend to like a little higher/nutrient rich water.
That is what I use. Still waiting for another two weeks before adding corals anyway. have an ATO on the way should be here by Saturday. Just in time to get it setup and going before I leave on Tuesday afternoon for work for four days. Shooting for the third week in April to put corals in maybe some Zoa's or some hardy LPS possibly. Depends on what the LFS here has. They had some really nice Acans for 49.99 or three for 120 should have taken a picture of them. They have a tank of unnamed frags for 29.99 but looks mostly like assorted SPS, Favia/Favies and polyps.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool man. My 4.1 was started from my Nuvo 40 breakdown back in September. I had a Autoaqua Smart ATO micro that I loved. It was effortless. Then, one day decided to peter out on me. Less than a year old! I couldn’t bring myself to forking out another $134.99 for another one. Since then, I’ve been refilling my own RODI daily. Not bad at all! Plus, it keeps you in tune with your salinity without going complacent. I have figured out that my tank uses 3/4 cup/day. I do this every night. Of course with your out of town working, the ATO is mandatory if no one else is around to help out. Definitely start out with softies/LPS. I would wait a minimum of 4-6 months before any SPS, including easier monitporas. They’re not kidding about stability lol.

if you haven’t checked them out already, look at austinaquafarms.com. They have super cheap prices with an amazing selection. Plus, you could take a short drive to pick them up, or pay the discounted Texas rate of $15 overnight shipping! You really can’t beat it. They have fire.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool man. My 4.1 was started from my Nuvo 40 breakdown back in September. I had a Autoaqua Smart ATO micro that I loved. It was effortless. Then, one day decided to peter out on me. Less than a year old! I couldn’t bring myself to forking out another $134.99 for another one. Since then, I’ve been refilling my own RODI daily. Not bad at all! Plus, it keeps you in tune with your salinity without going complacent. I have figured out that my tank uses 3/4 cup/day. I do this every night. Of course with your out of town working, the ATO is mandatory if no one else is around to help out. Definitely start out with softies/LPS. I would wait a minimum of 4-6 months before any SPS, including easier monitporas. They’re not kidding about stability lol.

if you haven’t checked them out already, look at austinaquafarms.com. They have super cheap prices with an amazing selection. Plus, you could take a short drive to pick them up, or pay the discounted Texas rate of $15 overnight shipping! You really can’t beat it. They have fire.
Wow looking at there site and wow your right the prices are good. It’s about a 6 hour drive for me to to Austin. But for $15 on shipping that can’t be beat. Was really looking at making this a Zoa garden with a few other pieces that I still don’t what else. I have lots of time just not the space hahahahaha. I do like Montipora’s but the plating kind we will see but that will be next year that is for sure.

Bahura-Living

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did your Autoaqua break? Have the samething on my nuvo 30 for some reason the water from my display went down to my reservoir and spill all over the place.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the lite version. Maybe I should have gone with the ReefBreeders Prism. Still have time to cancel the order.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looking at there site and wow your right the prices are good. It’s about a 6 hour drive for me to to Austin. But for $15 on shipping that can’t be beat. Was really looking at making this a Zoa garden with a few other pieces that I still don’t what else. I have lots of time just not the space hahahahaha. I do like Montipora’s but the plating kind we will see but that will be next year that is for sure.
Yea, plating montis and zoas would be cool. I’d say by August you should be good. Look for specs of coralline algae to take hold. That’s your sign.

Some of the best plating montis I’ve seen are from Jason Fox, WWC, and Top Shelf Aquatics. AAF is good for LPS such as torches, hammers, frogspawns, and even some zoas! Those red twizzler ones from them have some awesome pop under actinics.

It’s worth mentioning that if you’re ever in Houston, you have to stop by FJW, or Fish Just Wonderful. Best corals I’ve ever bought! You would be amazed.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daniel92481 do you think the Duetto is a better ATO? It’s more expensive but I just want reliability?
I have heard about Duetto, but don’t know too much about it. Honestly though, if it was my money, I would get this one. Super highly rated new ATO.
D945EE52-6A4C-4287-A871-A941E6FFE596.jpeg

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested nitrates again today here are the following parameters.
salinity 34ppt refractometer
Nitrate 10 Salifert
Ammonia 0 API
Need to get Alk, Ca and Mg tests soon as well. Any others I should be testing for?

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a frag or two to my tank in two weeks. Going to do one more water change this coming weekend to reduce nitrates down to under 10ppm. Trying to figure out walnut to put in first. Probably some zoathids or some LPS guess it depends on what the LFS has when I go hahahahaha.

Last edited:

Bahura-Living

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a drag or two to my tank in two weeks. Going to do one more water change this coming weekend to reduce nitrates down to under 10ppm. Trying to figure out walnut to put in first. Probably some zoathids or some LPS guess it depends on what the LFS has when I go hahahahaha.
I do want to build my tank a zoa dominant but like you i might add other LPS

Last edited:
OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water parameter check this morning was the following. Alk, Ca,Mg, and Nitrates done with Salifert. Ammonia with API and double checked with LFS (Salifert and week ago)

Temp 76-77 (still have lights off not corals not need right)
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 25 (water change coming this weekend)
Alk 8.9-9.3
Ca 430
Mg 1470 ( kind of shocked here did it twice same results)
pH 7.9 (Checked with Aprea PH20 pen calibrated before checking)

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok been out for work this past week so finally got a chance to check parameters. Still nothing in the tank but I am trying to find a chunk or a couple of pieces of liverock to redo the aquascape. I like the stax rocks but in such a small tank they don't look natural. LFS doesn't have cured liverock only dry Marco rock so I might have to order online or possibly when I'm in San Antonio week after next I can possibly stop and get some then and just keep it in a bucket with water and a small pump. Any way here at this week parameters

Ammonia 0
Nitrates between 2-5
Alk 9.3
Mag 1410
Cal 300
pH 8.2
Salinity 35ppt

Little confused on the calcium dropping since there is nothing in the tank to use it up. Only explanation that I can think of is precipitation but I don't have any buildup on the glass or in any of the chambers.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be changing the rock work up. Have some life rock coming in Thursday. I like the Stax rocks but for this small of a tank not what I was expecting (or really didn't know what to expect). Will be storing these stax rocks for a future bigger tank in a couple of years if the boss lady agrees. Will post pictures once it's complete.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time. So last night i change the rockwork up and I also switch salts to Fritz RPM with just a 1 gallon water change cause I know that my nitrate were going to bottom out. So testing the fresh mix I am pretty happy.
Salinity 35ppt
Alk 9.2
Nitrates 0
Ca 470
Mg 1500
temp 77
I probably need to get a phosphate test kit soon but since I don't have any livestock haven't felt the need to do that yet but it is coming sooner than later. Will probably order one this weekend as the LFS wants 25 bucks for salifert and I can get it on Amazon for 18 or so with free shipping.

The Fritz mixed fast within 30 minutes all salt was dissolved still let go for 12 hours as the instructions stated but it was clear in 30 minutes. So here is a picture of the new scape.

Newrockwork.jpeg

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm looking for a tank to replace my current pico and this one is on the list - any chance you could clear something up for me? I've seen 2 different sets of dimensions listed for it (in one listing) and I'm not sure which is accurate.

One is 14.17″ x 7.87″ x 7.87″ the other 12.21″ x 8.66″ x 9.06″

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm looking for a tank to replace my current pico and this one is on the list - any chance you could clear something up for me? I've seen 2 different sets of dimensions listed for it (in one listing) and I'm not sure which is accurate.

One is 14.17″ x 7.87″ x 7.87″ the other 12.21″ x 8.66″ x 9.06″
The 14.17 is the the 3.8g (has the side filter so more peninsula style) tank the 12.21 is the one I have and it the 4.1 gallon (cube style).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back