4.5yrs later, the BRS Clownfish Harem tank comes to a close. | BRStv Tank Trials

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by randyBRS, Sep 7, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

355 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

194 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Host :-) R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Can you believe it?

It's been about four and a half years since we started the BRS Clownfish Harem tank and today, it's coming to an end. Find out what we learned over the years and what we plan to do with the new space!

Oh, don't forget we're giving away the BRS160 Clown Babies as well! Two lucky reefers will each get around 20-babies to start their own harem tanks! Get your tanks ready!

Tags:

2. OffTopic

OffTopic Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I love what y’all have done with the clown Harim tank. I kinda want to keep one similar but I gotta keep focused ;):(

randyBRS likes this.
  3. chap34

chap34 Member

I am in the process of setting up an office tank! This came at the perfect time!

I am using the Red Sea Max Nano, I plan to add a cheato reactor and will do weekly 25% water changes.

25lbs of Pukani with a bare bottom glass.

I am thinking 6-8 clowns should be my bio load.

My question: What Ai Prime spectrum for the lighting for keeping BTAs?

FinnyGyrrl and Breefin1220 like this.
  4. Bpain05

Bpain05 Member Build Thread Contributor

Well I already have the 93 cube setup so you should pick me. lol

5. pdiehm

pdiehm Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Delaware Reef Club

Could the same philosophy be used for say a Flasher wrasse harem where you have 1 male and say 10-12 females?

6. Kyl

Kyl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

7. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

@MSB123, though not as many as you're looking for.

8. MSB123

MSB123 Someone out there put something smart here. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Santa Barbara Reef Co-Op Build Thread Contributor

Thanks! I have already entered, I think 20 would be nice! I do hope I find some because I have been planning to do this for a while now!

9. Greaps

Greaps Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Great update. Whats you thoughts on other tank mates, would mandarines survive or is it to agressive.

10. Arrick_L

Arrick_L Member

I loved this tank. I do not have a harem but do have an anemone tank with one clown I've had for 12 years. When people visit they gravitate to the anemone tank more than my other reef tank for some reason.

11. vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081 Well known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Gotta Love ant school of fish. Clowns are very active and hard to keep up with viewing them when in a large group ( often in a ball like pattern)

FinnyGyrrl likes this.
  12. Breadman03

Breadman03 Valuable Member Catskill Reef Member

Well, I spent 5 years looking for a pair of Latezonatus clowns. I just got them. The 93 cube has been sitting in my basement for a while, and I plan on using that once I can get a good sized clutch. The tank will share my main reef's sump for a little bit of ease of maintenance, though I'll likely get an extension for my Lifereef skimmer.

You might say its been a long-term goal.

13. Breefin1220

Breefin1220 Member

I was so sad to see you were taking the harem tank down! :( I will be finishing my harem tank this coming year I’m SUPER excited for this chapter!

14. VR28man

VR28man Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Thanks, BRS! This has been an interesting series of videos, and an interesting conclusion as well!

15. Chris1988

Chris1988 New Member

I have a 2x2 cube that I’ve set up purely for my clowns.

I have a vertex 150 skimmer, ClariSea filteroll and automatic water changer currently set to 10% a week.

My plan was to collect bubble tips of all colours over the next 6 months, let my ricordia fill the base (starboard no sand) and fill out my rock flower island.

Once all of the above is grown in and the habitat is there I was going to remove my clowns and replace them with a group of Picasso’s.

The questions I have is given my filtration and tank size what’s a good number of clowns to add? And what % would you set my water changer to?

16. Chris1988

Chris1988 New Member

Firstly thank you for all the effort you have put into this tank trial and for sharing your results.

I have a RedSea Reefer 170 cube that I’ve set up purely for my clowns with a vertex 150 skimmer, marine pure plate, ClariSea filteroll and automatic water changer currently set to 10% a week.

My plan was to collect bubble tips of all colours over the next 6 months, let my ricordia fill the base (starboard no sand) and fill out my rock flower island.

Once all of the above is grown in and habit is there I was going to remove my clowns and replace them with a group of Picasso’s.

The questions I have is given my filtration and tank size what’s a good number of clowns to add? And what % would you set my water changer to?

17. Karla Rogge

Karla Rogge New Member

LOVED this series. Clowns have always been my favorite. I remember being new to the Hobby and my bubble being busted when I learned that I couldn't keep more than one pair in a single tank. I will be setting one of these up in the future.

18. Ratsinmyhead

Ratsinmyhead Member

Thank you BRS.

HolisticBear likes this.
  19. FinnyGyrrl

FinnyGyrrl Member

Thank you for sharing your multiple videos of the Harem tank!!!! I have watched the series repeatedly...I personally have had so much trouble with so many anemones, I enjoy watching your healthy, vibrant ones!! I find it uplifting! Thanks again.

20. redpine42

redpine42 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I love this idea, just curious about how you get a clutch of clowns without breaking the bank? Clowns run anywhere from $30 to $300, if I was to do this I'd want 20 to 30 clowns.

Draft saved Draft deleted