4.5yrs later, the BRS Clownfish Harem tank comes to a close. | BRStv Tank Trials

Would you keep a clown harem tank in your home or office?

• Yes

Votes: 378 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 198 34.4%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you believe it?

It's been about four and a half years since we started the BRS Clownfish Harem tank and today, it's coming to an end. Find out what we learned over the years and what we plan to do with the new space!

Oh, don't forget we're giving away the BRS160 Clown Babies as well! Two lucky reefers will each get around 20-babies to start their own harem tanks! Get your tanks ready!

OffTopic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love what y’all have done with the clown Harim tank. I kinda want to keep one similar but I gotta keep focused ;):(

chap34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up an office tank! This came at the perfect time!

I am using the Red Sea Max Nano, I plan to add a cheato reactor and will do weekly 25% water changes.

25lbs of Pukani with a bare bottom glass.

I am thinking 6-8 clowns should be my bio load.

My question: What Ai Prime spectrum for the lighting for keeping BTAs?

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the same philosophy be used for say a Flasher wrasse harem where you have 1 male and say 10-12 females?

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update. Whats you thoughts on other tank mates, would mandarines survive or is it to agressive.

Arrick_L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved this tank. I do not have a harem but do have an anemone tank with one clown I've had for 12 years. When people visit they gravitate to the anemone tank more than my other reef tank for some reason.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gotta Love ant school of fish. Clowns are very active and hard to keep up with viewing them when in a large group ( often in a ball like pattern)

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I spent 5 years looking for a pair of Latezonatus clowns. I just got them. The 93 cube has been sitting in my basement for a while, and I plan on using that once I can get a good sized clutch. The tank will share my main reef's sump for a little bit of ease of maintenance, though I'll likely get an extension for my Lifereef skimmer.

You might say its been a long-term goal.

Breefin1220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was so sad to see you were taking the harem tank down! :( I will be finishing my harem tank this coming year I’m SUPER excited for this chapter!

Chris1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2x2 cube that I’ve set up purely for my clowns.

I have a vertex 150 skimmer, ClariSea filteroll and automatic water changer currently set to 10% a week.

My plan was to collect bubble tips of all colours over the next 6 months, let my ricordia fill the base (starboard no sand) and fill out my rock flower island.

Once all of the above is grown in and the habitat is there I was going to remove my clowns and replace them with a group of Picasso’s.

The questions I have is given my filtration and tank size what’s a good number of clowns to add? And what % would you set my water changer to?

Chris1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly thank you for all the effort you have put into this tank trial and for sharing your results.

I have a RedSea Reefer 170 cube that I’ve set up purely for my clowns with a vertex 150 skimmer, marine pure plate, ClariSea filteroll and automatic water changer currently set to 10% a week.

My plan was to collect bubble tips of all colours over the next 6 months, let my ricordia fill the base (starboard no sand) and fill out my rock flower island.

Once all of the above is grown in and habit is there I was going to remove my clowns and replace them with a group of Picasso’s.

The questions I have is given my filtration and tank size what’s a good number of clowns to add? And what % would you set my water changer to?

Karla Rogge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVED this series. Clowns have always been my favorite. I remember being new to the Hobby and my bubble being busted when I learned that I couldn't keep more than one pair in a single tank. I will be setting one of these up in the future.

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your multiple videos of the Harem tank!!!! I have watched the series repeatedly...I personally have had so much trouble with so many anemones, I enjoy watching your healthy, vibrant ones!! I find it uplifting! Thanks again.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea, just curious about how you get a clutch of clowns without breaking the bank? Clowns run anywhere from $30 to $300, if I was to do this I'd want 20 to 30 clowns.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back