(4) MP40s—Placement for a Red Sea 750 XXL?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mstgkillr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four MP40s (only two are currently installed) and a Red Sea 750 XXL, which is roughly the same dimensions as a standard 180, but rimless. The tank will be a mixed reef with SPS, LPS, and zoas. I currently have a decent start on the LPS and zoas, just over the 1-year mark. Aquascaping is open with several shelfs, ledges, and through caves. The rock is primarily centered and is only stacked to 50%-60% of the overall water height.

I assume I will need four MP40s with the addition of SPS, and I understand every tank is unique and will require slight adjustments. However, what would be a good starting point? Should I do two MP40s on each side? Or, should I do one MP40 on each side, and two along the back? Also, placement and mode/programming suggestions? I'd hate to place two MP40s on the back and blowout the front pane! I also have an APEX with WXM module.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably start with one middle-high on each end, and one low front on each end. You could also do one on each end and two along the back wall (rockwork dependent).

Couple ideas.
1577230927649.png

1577231022188.png

1577231249265.png

Boonz28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
V2 overflow vs V3 probably matters here as well since the V2 is a single return and V3 is dual

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four MP40s (only two are currently installed) and a Red Sea 750 XXL, which is roughly the same dimensions as a standard 180, but rimless. The tank will be a mixed reef with SPS, LPS, and zoas. I currently have a decent start on the LPS and zoas, just over the 1-year mark. Aquascaping is open with several shelfs, ledges, and through caves. The rock is primarily centered and is only stacked to 50%-60% of the overall water height.

I assume I will need four MP40s with the addition of SPS, and I understand every tank is unique and will require slight adjustments. However, what would be a good starting point? Should I do two MP40s on each side? Or, should I do one MP40 on each side, and two along the back? Also, placement and mode/programming suggestions? I'd hate to place two MP40s on the back and blowout the front pane! I also have an APEX with WXM module.

I run 4 mp40s on the same tank and have them staggered on each on the sides similar to the picture that dragon posted. I have a splitter on the return and use 2 random flow generators from VCA as well. I have great flow on the ends but the center of the tank is much calmer. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought 2 mp60's instead (1 on the center of each side.) I think that the wider flow pattern of the mp60s would work better than the smaller mp40s. A lot of this depends on your aquascape as well-so take that into consideration.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back