40 breeder ballin on a budget build

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes nothing! I was browsing the internet and came across petco’s $1 per gallon sale (only 50% off past 29 gallons) I’ve been using my sump for a frag tank so I decided to make a frag display tank. This is not going to be your average egg crate eyesore. My vision is a tile bottom, a few base rocks, with drilled shelf rocks to hold frags. This build will be cheap, but quality. I do EXTENSIVE research on quality and prices. I’ll make a list and update as I get stuff in as well as review it.

($54.11) 40 breeder- Petco

($8.11) 35mm Hole saw for two returns (BRS bulkheads)-

61D15557-6F0E-47CC-AA8F-94CC1A44C6A0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Review of the tank- after researching I found that if Aqueon does used tempered glass they will put a sticker on the tank that says tempered. If you drill it, your warranty is obviously voided. The tank is a normal tank. The trim is a little thicker than I would like but it’s not too bad.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was trying to edit the beginning post but it won’t let me so I’ll just keep posting updates as I go.

Today I went to Lowe’s and purchased 5 sq ft of travertine tile for the bottom so I could grow coral on the bottom and remove it to frag and replace the tile with a smaller cutting. This also has the advantage of being able to clean the tank easer while still maintaining the somewhat natural look of sand without the hassle of sand. I have to cut the tile to fit but this is it so far. I plan on putting the tiles in buckets of water while I’m building the stand to make sure it’s cured, then transferring it to my current system to get some pods and other bacteria on it then into this tank. I’m also debating on drilling 1/2” holes in the tiles to put frag plugs in but I would have to trim half of the frag stem off the plugs. My only concern is that detritus would accumulate in the unused holes.

($17.50) for 5 packs of travertine tile from Lowe’s

CE6659C4-F4E1-416E-8A64-7BA6CA90408B.jpeg 77535A47-F036-4E00-B7C3-B812509AF067.jpeg

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The travertine tile got me. It's such an ingenious idea! I'm definitely following! Just cuz it's gotten me in trouble before, are you up for recs/advice? Or would you prefer us solely ooh-ing, aah-ing, and asking questions??

Also...How does a 40 gallon breeder that's supposedly 50% off (since 40 > 29) end up costing $54.11? Shouldn't it be $20 + whatever the tax normally is for the 40 gallon tanks? Or am I just pulling a stupid again?

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The travertine tile got me. It's such an ingenious idea! I'm definitely following! Just cuz it's gotten me in trouble before, are you up for recs/advice? Or would you prefer us solely ooh-ing, aah-ing, and asking questions??

Also...How does a 40 gallon breeder that's supposedly 50% off (since 40 > 29) end up costing $54.11? Shouldn't it be $20 + whatever the tax normally is for the 40 gallon tanks? Or am I just pulling a stupid again?
I’m absolutely open to suggestions and constructive criticism, that’s what makes this hobby better! The $1 per gallon sale only applies to tanks less than 29 gallons. Any tank over that is 50% off the normal price. The 40 breeder is usually $99.99. The tile idea is definitely a new trend. I’ve only seen a couple of people do it and there isn’t many write ups on it. My thoughts are it will add surface area for bacteria vs a bare bottom and the pods in my sump LOVE tiles. There are thousands of them on one single tile.

msjboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also make your own rubble frag pieces with portland cement ( you can find recipes for it so it is pure and not leech undesirables) and also use the ceramic hydroton balls. It's great for bacteria as it is very light and porous...and cheap.

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was trying to edit the beginning post but it won’t let me so I’ll just keep posting updates as I go.

Today I went to Lowe’s and purchased 5 sq ft of travertine tile for the bottom so I could grow coral on the bottom and remove it to frag and replace the tile with a smaller cutting. This also has the advantage of being able to clean the tank easer while still maintaining the somewhat natural look of sand without the hassle of sand. I have to cut the tile to fit but this is it so far. I plan on putting the tiles in buckets of water while I’m building the stand to make sure it’s cured, then transferring it to my current system to get some pods and other bacteria on it then into this tank. I’m also debating on drilling 1/2” holes in the tiles to put frag plugs in but I would have to trim half of the frag stem off the plugs. My only concern is that detritus would accumulate in the unused holes.

($17.50) for 5 packs of travertine tile from Lowe’s

CE6659C4-F4E1-416E-8A64-7BA6CA90408B.jpeg 77535A47-F036-4E00-B7C3-B812509AF067.jpeg
That is genius! Definitely following

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also make your own rubble frag pieces with portland cement ( you can find recipes for it so it is pure and not leech undesirables) and also use the ceramic hydroton balls. It's great for bacteria as it is very light and porous...and cheap.
I was looking into the DIY rock. I’m going to my LFS to look at his rock. If he doesn’t have the correct shapes I’ll go that route.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered everything I’d need for the tank minus salt and rock. Expect some detailed posts in the next week! Now it’s time to sit and wait on packages....

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Review of the tank- after researching I found that if Aqueon does used tempered glass they will put a sticker on the tank that says tempered.

Careful about trusting stickers. And some panels could be tempered while others aren't on the same tank. It's best to look at the panel you are going to drill using the polarized glasses test.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful about trusting stickers. And some panels could be tempered while others aren't on the same tank. It's best to look at the panel you are going to drill using the polarized glasses test.
I will be doing the test to make sure. Thank you.

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning on a 40 gallon breeder build as well. I currently have a 10 gallon tank. My plan is to use the 10 gallon as a sump refugium for the new 40 gallon tank.
I chose to do a 20 long so that it could hold more water when I get backflow from shutting the pumps down (even though I will be installing check valves)

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the equipment came in, just waiting on Petco to get 20 gallon long tanks in stock before I start the build. While I’m waiting I decided to go ahead and do DIY live rock. I found some cheap Aragonite sand (50 lbs for $25 still in the bag). I’ll be doing that this weekend so that will be included in this build thread. So far the stuff I ordered was exactly what I wanted and I got some good deals. Time to grab a beer and get to work! Stay tuned!

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.

I also managed to snag a 40b for just $43 during the $1/Gal sale at pet supplies plus a few weeks ago. Just finished cycling it, but still no livestock in it yet.

As far as the DIY rock, have you looked at the dry base rock from Amazon? You can get 40# for only $48 shipped right now. At that price, seems hardly worth making it yourself... I bought a 80# of it for my 40b and had plenty left over. plenty extra for placing in your sump, drilling for frags, or using as rubble, etc..

Aqueon does not use tempered glass on their 40b, as far as I know, but you can test it pretty easily to confirm.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Jholley565

Jholley565

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started on the DIY live rock. These are two pieces that are held together with a 1/2” piece of acrylic rod inside 1/2” holes I drilled.

351ADD73-1C7E-48E8-8886-1E9870AA08CD.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back