40 breeder frag w 2 AI 16HDs

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm tossing different tank ideas around will 2 AI prime 16HDs be able to light a 40 gallon breeder frag tank w sps at the top back? If not what do you recommend? Wanting to keep it under $600

OP
OP
C

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a reef brite 36 actinic on the back by the sps be good enough? Can I do it w just the AI 16s?

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have direct experience with the AI 16, but their advertisements state a maximum PAR of 100 at a depth of 24 inches. I assuming the 40 gallon tank is 18" deep, so at the brightest spots on the bottom, you should have sufficient light for Acroporas and certainly at the top. Of course, a lot depends upon the mounting height - too close to the water and you'll have to clean salt spray off. Too high, and light intensity suffers. I've found that, in general, mounting the lamps 7 to 9 inches above the water is a good compromise. Now, with all that said, I'm not a big fan of point source lights. I feel their light distribution patterns limit where light-loving corals can be placed. My 2 cents worth, and I would defer to those with direct experience with these lights.

OP
OP
C

Colton.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other light do you recommend? I want to keep it cheap without sacrificing reliability & coral growth/coloring

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other light do you recommend? I want to keep it cheap without sacrificing reliability & coral growth/coloring
I have to be careful since a lighting suggestion be interpreted as an endorsement, but some of the 'black boxes' are capable of producing enough light for coral growth and spectra for coloration. Inexpensive. Programming a little clunky. But can work.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't light a 40 breeder SPS display with 2 Primes, but it should work fine for a frag tank. With grown out colonies, I think you would run into shading, but that shouldn't be a concern with a frag tank.

As for other options, there's lots of ways to skin this cat.

You could argue that it's best to light it the same way as your display, so that the transition from one tank to the other is seamless.

Are you wanting LED fir sure?

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference, I have a 40 breeder with 2x AI 32HDs. They are mounted 14 in above the water line.
They are running at 30% across blues and 10% white and measured par readings are around 70-125 par at bottom. The center cross over area is 125 and the sides are 70-80 par.
One 32HD will not be enough spread, but a 64HD is a good option. I have 2x on my DT (72x30x30), mounted 9 in above waterline. They are running 45% across blues and 10% white and measured par readings are 125 mid tank, 75-100 at bottom and 175-200 at the top. The spread on a 64HD will cover a 40 breeder well. You may want to consider that as an option.
Hope that helps.

Back