40 breeder macro tank

bashierr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just plumbed a 40 breeder and 50 frag to my 90 gallon tank. The 40 breeder is going to be dedicated to macroalgaes.

I have Caulerpa Prolifera, Codium, Flat Branch Gracilaria, Halimeda, Shaving Bush, Ulva, Blue Hypnea, and Red Dragon's Breath arriving this week to put in it.

I have a couple questions...

1. What sort of cleanup crew should I keep in this tank and is there anything to avoid?
2. What sort of fish can I keep in this tank?
3. I want to keep the algae neat and orderly on frag plugs. When they grow to much I can "frag" them and give them away to friends locally or trade them at my LFS. Can I use coral epoxy or super glue to keep them on the frag plugs? I don't like the idea of rubber bands for some reason.
4. Should I put a thin layer of sand down? The 90 gallon it's plumbed to has over 200lbs of live rock and a deep sand bed.

The Blue Hypnea I'll probably keep in the 50 frag tank with blue light. I have reds over my 40 breeder.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just plumbed a 40 breeder and 50 frag to my 90 gallon tank. The 40 breeder is going to be dedicated to macroalgaes.

I have Caulerpa Prolifera, Codium, Flat Branch Gracilaria, Halimeda, Shaving Bush, Ulva, Blue Hypnea, and Red Dragon's Breath arriving this week to put in it.

1. What sort of cleanup crew should I keep in this tank and is there anything to avoid?
3. I want to keep the algae neat and orderly on frag plugs. When they grow to much I can "frag" them and give them away to friends locally or trade them at my LFS. Can I use coral epoxy or super glue to keep them on the frag plugs? I don't like the idea of rubber bands for some reason.
4. Should I put a thin layer of sand down? The 90 gallon it's plumbed to has over 200lbs of live rock and a deep sand bed.

The Blue Hypnea I'll probably keep in the 50 frag tank with blue light. I have reds over my 40 breeder.

Great questions and good luck with this tank! Let's see if we can get some help with your specific questions...

@inland_reef @Tigahboy

Tigahboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Smaller snails should be OK, like astreas, ceriths, dwarf ceriths, etc. Hermits could munch on them as well as larger snails like Mexican turbos, but I still have some scarlets and dwarf hermits in my macroalgae tanks. Emeralds and urchins would definitely slay the macroalgae, so no to them.

2. I think just stay away from herbivores (like tangs, blennies, etc.) but any other fish should be fine.

3. Not all macroalgae will take to super gel. Some will disintegrate at the point of gluing, so could work for some but not all.

4. Some halimeda grow better in sand, so not a bad thing to have. Curious how your blue hypnea does with just blues. Mine is under full spectrum, but I know folks keep them in a variety of lighting. Higher light intensity will bring out its best colors.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back