OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you purchase the Aqueon 40 breeder? The reason I ask is I called Aqueon and they are not selling non-tempered glass tanks for the next year plus. There are no tags on the tanks. If you didn't verify that it is non-tempered, I would make sure it is before you proceed any further since you drilled it. The warranty is now voided, fyi. See videos on youtube for how to check. I wanted to get one too but will probably go with another vendor to be on the safe side and pay to have it drilled.

I got the 40B last year. Someone was selling it "New in box" on FB Marketplace. So I am not sure when they got it though. And of course if it's tempered, you would see my crying here ..

I was very nervous when I drilled earlier. But having the plumber putty and taking it slow (40mnt) seems did fine. :D

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 40B last year. Someone was selling it "New in box" on FB Marketplace. So I am not sure when they got it though. And of course if it's tempered, you would see my crying here ..

I was very nervous when I drilled earlier. But having the plumber putty and taking it slow (40mnt) seems did fine. :D
If you drilled it without it shattering then it definitely wasn’t tempered. Most Aqueon tanks that are tempered are only tempered on the bottom, but if in doubt always check first. According to Aqueon’s website none of their 40 breeders should be tempered, so not sure the support person you talked to was correct, but if I was doing it again I would maybe take a pair of polarized glasses and your phone and check the tanks at Petco before you buy.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
@gabrieltackitt
Hey Gabriel, on your build, do you happen to know how long of pvc pipe did you use?
I am asking because I'm thinking of getting the colored PVC pipes
I don’t off the top of my head, but I can measure later when I am home and give you a rough estimate.

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a 40g breeder and I only plan on having a valentini puffer and maybe 3 (probably 2) other fish.

the tanks fill up with fish fast. I had a whole list for my planted 18” cube and after 2 different species I realized I had room for no more.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. just got this on the mail.
20200608190119s.jpg

Not the tank of course..
Going to start measuring this

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is that acrylic? Where did you get it and how much was it?

Hey Elaine, yes thats acrylic. Got it from ebay. $115 shipped.

I made a mistake though.. should have asked for 2 holes on the intake. So.... Either using herbie without trickling. Or just do regular drain + emergency drain.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Elaine, yes thats acrylic. Got it from ebay. $115 shipped.

I made a mistake though.. should have asked for 2 holes on the intake. So.... Either using herbie without trickling. Or just do regular drain + emergency drain.
Was there a particular reason you picked this one? I have looked at Jax Racks. Is there something that makes it worth the higher price? Which one on Ebay? There are quite a few.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a particular reason you picked this one? I have looked at Jax Racks and they are about half that price. Is there something that makes it worth the higher price? Which one on Ebay? There are quite a few.

Hey Elaine, this is also from Jax Racks. I like this one because of the intake placement, the cheaper one you have to place the intake tube directly on or over the filter sock. And the adjustable water height for the skimmer.

@Deezill
As Elaine said, jax racks on ebay.

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Elaine, this is also from Jax Racks. I like this one because of the intake, the cheaper one you have to place the intake tube directly on or over the filter sock. And the adjustable water height for the skimmer.

@Deezill
As Elaine said, jax racks on ebay.
That's good to know. Thank you! I didn't realize they offered different designs. So on the intake being on or over the filter sock, does that just make the plumbing easier? I am totally ignorant still on these things. (I learn something new every single day! Makes me want to go slower than the small turtle that I just found at my back step!)

Last week, it was a three foot snake right at my front door!

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. Thank you! I didn't realize they offered different designs. So on the intake being on or over the filter sock, does that just make the plumbing easier? I am totally ignorant still on these things.

No worries, I also had the same question before deciding with this one. The plumbing itself are not much different. The build I chose, it will made it easier to replace/clean the filter socks. Just open and pull.

Turtle and snakes. Well.. I lived in the city.. the only wild animal I have here are squirrels and birds

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... a possible setback.

I might need to wait for $ per gallon sale for this sump.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. setback or not. I want to see how the kit looks inside the tank.
IMG_20200608_224915.jpg

I like it so far.

Of course I have questions regarding the measurement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. a new plan of action,

I will use this current 20g L to cycle the tank. Not siliconing the refugium kit. That should give me around 1-2 months. This will allow me to test the pipes too.

Hopefully by that time, the $ per gallon sale is on. If not... I would think I will have to buy it on regular prize.

I was so looking forward to put that sump together too.. :(

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing the overflow box. The water have not reached the inside overflow and it already leaked to the outside box. I am playing around with the gaskett placement.

Edit : tried 4 combinations. Still leaking. It is leaking into the overflow box. Not outside of it ... So thats ok.. possibly?

Or is it because I just hand tighten the screw?

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back