40 Breeder skimmer choices?

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after beeing gone for many years. Looking to build a 40 breeder with a 20 long for a sump. Would a Red Sea RSK300 be too big for this setup? I'll be keeping small fish, inverts and Zoas and some LPS.

My last skimmer was a DIY out of necessity ($$) many years ago so I'm like a kid in the candy store with all these great choices!

Thanks!

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be using this one in a 40 breeder soon. I already have it here so I'm going to give it a shot.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important thing for me , besides skimming well, is quietness. It will be in my living room and I hate rattles and loud hums and stuff. I'll check out both of those options.

Did you guys get a kit or anything for the sump baffles? Or DIY? I'm looking at an ebay kit that looks ok and says it gives a water level of 6 inches. I'm assuming that will be high enough for the skimmer or I guess I'll have to cut my own.

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important thing for me , besides skimming well, is quietness. It will be in my living room and I hate rattles and loud hums and stuff. I'll check out both of those options.

Did you guys get a kit or anything for the sump baffles? Or DIY? I'm looking at an ebay kit that looks ok and says it gives a water level of 6 inches. I'm assuming that will be high enough for the skimmer or I guess I'll have to cut my own.

I have my tank in my living room, where our family spends most of our time, and the Bubble Magus is dead quite. When my lights come on in the morning, they are actually louder than the skimmer. I'd buy this skimmer again without a second thought.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a build a friend and I did for a 40b with a 20g sump.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my tank in my living room, where our family spends most of our time, and the Bubble Magus is dead quite. When my lights come on in the morning, they are actually louder than the skimmer. I'd buy this skimmer again without a second thought.
Just ordered one. :D
Also ordered a Current USA eFlux 6009 DC Flow Pump

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a build a friend and I did for a 40b with a 20g sump.
Nice. I'm definitely reading this!

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 setup with a Octo 110 AC pump. It is very quite. It is in my bedroom and no issues with noise. I have my sump running at 8”:eek:f water and it does great. the sump is a Fiji20.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys using for an overflow? I was looking at a modular marine low profile 800 but have never bought one of those kits where you drill the back out.

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys using for an overflow? I was looking at a modular marine low profile 800 but have never bought one of those kits where you drill the back out.
I did drill the back. I used a eshops medium over flow. It is 800 gph and plenty of flow. It has a good template for drilling the holes and I didn’t have any issues.

Eclipse M Overflow Box Medium - Eshopps

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did drill the back. I used a eshops medium over flow. It is 800 gph and plenty of flow. It has a good template for drilling the holes and I didn’t have any issues.

Eclipse M Overflow Box Medium - Eshopps

Is it quiet? I hate to be the dead horse but it has to be quiet. I'm kind of weird that way the noise just drives me nuts. And do you have any things that you don't like about it?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received a Modular Marine 800 gph bean animal overflow. It is very well built.

OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to start on my stand tomorrow. I'm comfortable framing it out but not sure hiw I'm going skin it.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stands -- As an amateur woodworker, I skinned one of mine with black painted plywood. Made my own wooden hinges for it. No metal at all. and I was able to attach the hinges using doweling and a bit of polyurethane glue.

For a sump and skimmer combo, I would consider Reef Octopus 130S or is it S130.. internal pumps are a hair quieter in my experience.. DC is even better but looking at the costs. I have a 110 on my 75. works great but it does not balance well the way I have my sump set up. A 20 gallon is a good size but use the standard 20 and not a 20 long.. 20 long is too shallow if something goes wrong. IMHO>

Drilling glass is much easier than you think.. but people get nervous when cutting a hole in a tank. Go slow and wet to keep cool.. If you have a way to use a hand drill press, it will make things even easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikez104

mikez104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure making my own hinges is way above my skill level. lol. I just want something that don't look horrid in my living room. :)

For the sump and the skimmer, I'm pretty much locked into what I have ordered. Ordered the Bubble magus and it's on the way. Can't wait for stuff to start showing up! Maybe I should start a build thread.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it quiet? I hate to be the dead horse but it has to be quiet. I'm kind of weird that way the noise just drives me nuts. And do you have any things that you don't like about it?

You can balance the outflow and in turn quite the overflow using ball valves or gate valves on the outgoing pvc.. there should be several articles here in R2R and other online locations showing how to do it to minimize the sound.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure making my own hinges is way above my skill level. lol. I just want something that don't look horrid in my living room. :)

For the sump and the skimmer, I'm pretty much locked into what I have ordered. Ordered the Bubble magus and it's on the way. Can't wait for stuff to start showing up! Maybe I should start a build thread.

It is way easier than you thinkj.. A drill, some sandpaper a saw and maybe a chisel.. I can see if I can attach a pic.. or maybe I can do a thread.. IDK.. If you have a real interest.. as it makes for a nice look to a cabinet. You can pick your wood and stuff.. contrasty or blended or painted. Just a thought..

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back