40 breeder with dinos... i think!

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been battling what i believe to be dinos, i have no microscope to confirm this but plenty of dead snails. im pretty sure i bottomed out my nitrates and phosphates since then (about a month now) i havent done a water change, i removed the chemipure blue and turned off the skimmer. all im running is carbon and purigen and im using a filter sock for filtration. my numbers are as follows salinity 1.023 temp is steady between 78.3 and 78.6 nitrates are there cant give you an exact number im using API tests for this. phosphorus was 4 ppb (Hanna) calcium 457(Hanna) alk was 9 (Hanna). i have Dino X and ive held off on using to try and correct the actual problem the tank has only been set up about 3 months now (i upgraded) so maybe just still dealing with the nasty stage. im also using 2 ai hydra 32hd with the David Saxby schedule. any suggestions or obvious things im missing here. ill post some pics from from my phone but you cant see much. any advice before i decide to use this dino x?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the purigen too. You could always try a green machine UV sterlizer or something. Just keep monitoring nitrate and phosphate. I got rid of mine but I can't say what worked. I ran a green machine, dose nitrate and phosphate, and dosed ecobalance, waste away, and pristine after I raised my nitrate and phosphate up .

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright ill pull the purigen aswell,i appreciate it and i have considered the UV sterilizer i think that is going to be my next step. im also gonna check out eco balance.

WickedReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull the carbon to, sometimes it'll fuel the dinos. I'd try bumping nutrients up a bit, I use Nyos for nitrate test kit,

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i pull the carbon what will clean the poison from the dinos dying off? this is a real question because ive considered it. i just dont want to wake up to dead reef lol. i did just install a uv filter today and im hoping maybe that will do the trick.

WickedReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a issue not running carbon when fighting dino, I've added carbon once and it fueled it. Its all based off my experience but every tank is different. I installed a uv when I got dino for the 5th and final time.

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya im hoping the uv does the trick i scrubbed the rocks today when i added the filter to get them waterborne but if they are there tomorrow ill add some pics hopefully i wont have to though. they look just like these though with out the hair algae looking stuff. just brown string boogers with bubbles.
dinoflagellates.jpg

OP
OP
Grimreefer89

Grimreefer89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the UV sterilizer is working i bought the one spare time suggested and my tank looks amazing! best 80 bucks ive spent in a long time. no boogers on my rock but i still have some in the sand bed i need to siphon out. im gonna run in the DT for another few days then move it to the sump on a timer. thanks guys i appreciate the all the good advice!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back