OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of internal overflow box would be recommended? I’m thinking about using the Herbie method on my tank, but not too sure on what box to use. Any experience with some? I looked at retrofit on BRS but it had bad reviews about the plastic being too thin.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of internal overflow box would be recommended? I’m thinking about using the Herbie method on my tank, but not too sure on what box to use. Any experience with some? I looked at retrofit on BRS but it had bad reviews about the plastic being too thin.
I see other people have mentioned drilling but I don' t think you have. Would you be drilling the tank or go with a HOB overflow?

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see other people have mentioned drilling but I don' t think you have. Would you be drilling the tank or go with a HOB overflow?
Apologies. I thought i mentioned it. I will be taking it to my lfs to have it drilled and that was going to be my next question. What size holes would be recommended as well for a 40 breeder? Sorry I'm all over the place on this thread

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies. I thought i mentioned it. I will be taking it to my lfs to have it drilled and that was going to be my next question. What size holes would be recommended as well for a 40 breeder? Sorry I'm all over the place on this thread
Great! So in this case you'll want to find the overflow you want to use first. That will tell you exactly what size holes you need to drill.

I'd go with this

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering that but I didn’t know how to feel about the tank being off the wall that much. Considering where it’s going it won’t be that much of an issue. What about return line? How wide of a pipe should I use and how big should I have the hole drilled? I’ve seen where people suggested 1” drain with 3/4” return.

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering that but I didn’t know how to feel about the tank being off the wall that much. Considering where it’s going it won’t be that much of an issue. What about return line? How wide of a pipe should I use and how big should I have the hole drilled? I’ve seen where people suggested 1” drain with 3/4” return.
You're exactly right! I use a single 1" drain and then two 3/4" returns after splitting from a single return pump. I hear what you say about being far away from the wall but I always keep my tank at least a few inches away from the wall regardless because there will be times you wish you had space to work back there.

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for that. I have the 32 biocube currently and I wish it was in a different spot and about an extra inch or two off the wall. Lesson learned for me, now I know to be sure that my tank is exactly where I want it. So would you think I need 2 returns or should I just have one? If two, should I get two holes drilled or is there a split locline that might be better? (probably spelled that wrong)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back