40 breeder

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m not necessarily new to saltwater since I’ve had a biocube 32 for a little over a year now but I wanted to upgrade to something a little bigger and with a sump. I decided to buy a 40 breeder with petco’s dollar per gallon sale and decided it’d be a good size to start with. I’m in the planning stages now, and with this being my first tank with a sump i was wondering if I could get some help with equipment? Such as skimmer, return pump, etc. Also, what size sump should I use? I was thinking a 20 long so I could fit a refugium but I wanted to hear what other people thought or experienced. I’ll be running two XR15’s on the tank since I’ll be getting one for Christmas from my parents and I’d only be purchasing one. If there’s any equipment y’all think I’m leaving out (which I’m sure there is) please let me know and suggest your personal preference. Thank you so much!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 40B is a great size because it gives you a lot of flexibility. For the sump I would suggest a 20L or another 40B. I personally am biased toward Reef Octopus skimmers, but there are many reasonable options. Most skimmers have ratings of low, medium, and high bio-load so you can use that as a reasonable guide. Also, please realize that there are a lot of 40B tank build threads here on R2R that you should be able to review for ideas. Additionally, an ATO is not a requirement but I have found that it helps with stability of your water parameters which improves the chance of overall success with your tank. Good luck!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 40Bs, one with a sump and one with a hob. I use a 20L sump and does well, another 40B could be interesting as well, alot more volume and more choices in skimmers. I won't get into the debate over skimmer, return pump choices; there are many that will fit the bill. Research the heck out of overflows, I used glass holes and hate it. Research the footprint and water depth of the skimmer, and a return pump for 40 plus 20/40 really doesn't have to be that powerful, just get one that's adjustable. I use an Eheim and had to dial it all the way back. I run ATOs as well

Nooooooooob1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving from a 40B to a 75 right now, but my 40B has a 10G sump under it with 3 DIY acrylic chambers. I use a Quiet One Pro 3000 for the return pump and a Reef Octopus Classic 90 hang-on at the sump. To be honest, that size skimmer is over powered for this size tank but I'm glad I have it now because it will be the perfect size for my 75 gallon. And that return pump has been very reliable, been constantly running for about two years no problems and it's even been run dry a few times when I messed up my ATO system. Also my overflow is an Eshopps PF-300 HOB with DIY plumbing. Let me know if you want to know anything else about the setup!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same tank as all in one. I have a tunze 9004 skimmer seems to fit the bill with hang on refugeium. Sometimes I'll run carbon but that's about it for my reef tank. With a sump I would just get a bigger skimmer personally. I have been told not to drill those tanks from petco and to rely check seals since they are pretty cheap tanks. Are you doing hang on back over flow?

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll be happy with it, but sometimes I wish i went with 65 gal deep blue, which has the same size footprint. You can pick one up for 150, so for 100 more it could be worth it.

I went with a 20 gallon H but wish I couldve fit a L. I just didn't have enough room in my stand for the L.

So yeah, if I did it again I'd make sure to get the deep blue 65 and the 20 L. I also didn't use an overflow box, I just drilled and plumbed, which I would recommend using an overflow instead. I also recommend using an external return pump that you could just drill into the sump. I like how it allows you to free up some extra sump space that could go to better use. It also prevents heat from the pump from overheating your water in the summer.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wider footprint you will love!

Personally id go as big on your sump as you can. I have a 120 sump on my 220 ha!

What space do you have in your stand? WIll you be building it? Alot of that will help you decide.

Skimmer, im also a big pro guy on the Reef Octopus. I own 2. one came off my 90, and will go on the new build im fleshing out, and my big guy lives on the 220 build in the basement.

Pumps, try to go for something DC for the silence. I like the jebao i have. its far quieter than my old Mag 12, or the lifeguard that runs the 220 now...

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving from a 40B to a 75 right now, but my 40B has a 10G sump under it with 3 DIY acrylic chambers. I use a Quiet One Pro 3000 for the return pump and a Reef Octopus Classic 90 hang-on at the sump. To be honest, that size skimmer is over powered for this size tank but I'm glad I have it now because it will be the perfect size for my 75 gallon. And that return pump has been very reliable, been constantly running for about two years no problems and it's even been run dry a few times when I messed up my ATO system. Also my overflow is an Eshopps PF-300 HOB with DIY plumbing. Let me know if you want to know anything else about the setup!

Thank you for the links and suggestions! I’m gonna look into those once I get back him today.

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll be happy with it, but sometimes I wish i went with 65 gal deep blue, which has the same size footprint. You can pick one up for 150, so for 100 more it could be worth it.

I went with a 20 gallon H but wish I couldve fit a L. I just didn't have enough room in my stand for the L.

So yeah, if I did it again I'd make sure to get the deep blue 65 and the 20 L. I also didn't use an overflow box, I just drilled and plumbed, which I would recommend using an overflow instead. I also recommend using an external return pump that you could just drill into the sump. I like how it allows you to free up some extra sump space that could go to better use. It also prevents heat from the pump from overheating your water in the summer.
I was debating between a 65 or a 40, but I’d most likely have to brace the flooring since I’m on a crawl space. I haven’t thought about external pumps for smaller tanks. I’ll have to look into it. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wider footprint you will love!

Personally id go as big on your sump as you can. I have a 120 sump on my 220 ha!

What space do you have in your stand? WIll you be building it? Alot of that will help you decide.

Skimmer, im also a big pro guy on the Reef Octopus. I own 2. one came off my 90, and will go on the new build im fleshing out, and my big guy lives on the 220 build in the basement.

Pumps, try to go for something DC for the silence. I like the jebao i have. its far quieter than my old Mag 12, or the lifeguard that runs the 220 now...
I’ll be building the stand myself. I was looking at the reef octopus skimmers but wasn’t sure if it’d be overkill for 40-60 gallons. The one I was looking at was the “classic 110INT 4”. BRS says that they recommend it for tanks up to 75 gallons but I wasn’t sure if someone has any experience with it.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No particular suggestions. I prefer a dc pump because I can control the output but I just go for cheap pumps with good reviews since I'm on a strict reef budget. My pump is actually submerged because I didn't think to drill my sump and its set in place now so I can't. However, I would've been happier with having some extra space in my sump. Also, now I can't get a large pump if I wanted to because I tried to keep the space for my return pump small so a larger one won't fit.

These are just things that I didn't plan for because I didn't think about it. I may want to add some reactors at some point in the future, but without a larger pump I won't have the power i need to drive the manifold. I could add reactors with their own pumps, but then that clutters the sump even more. So solving the most issues with the simplest solution would be drilling the sump and running it that way

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No particular suggestions. I prefer a dc pump because I can control the output but I just go for cheap pumps with good reviews since I'm on a strict reef budget. My pump is actually submerged because I didn't think to drill my sump and its set in place now so I can't. However, I would've been happier with having some extra space in my sump. Also, now I can't get a large pump if I wanted to because I tried to keep the space for my return pump small so a larger one won't fit.

These are just things that I didn't plan for because I didn't think about it. I may want to add some reactors at some point in the future, but without a larger pump I won't have the power i need to drive the manifold. I could add reactors with their own pumps, but then that clutters the sump even more. So solving the most issues with the simplest solution would be drilling the sump and running it that way
It’d be nice to have more room in my sump for stuff like reactors, but I’m also on a budget. Being a freshman in college and having a reef tank is not a good combo. I’m gonna take my time and try to plan out as much of this as I can. I’m most likely going to use a 20 L for my sump so that I can have more room for stuff like reactors. Not saying it’ll be a lot more room, but more is better than none. I’m just in the planning stage right now so i still have plenty of time to upgrade anything that people suggest or I feel could be better if I went with an upgrade instead.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’d be nice to have more room in my sump for stuff like reactors, but I’m also on a budget. Being a freshman in college and having a reef tank is not a good combo. I’m gonna take my time and try to plan out as much of this as I can. I’m most likely going to use a 20 L for my sump so that I can have more room for stuff like reactors. Not saying it’ll be a lot more room, but more is better than none. I’m just in the planning stage right now so i still have plenty of time to upgrade anything that people suggest or I feel could be better if I went with an upgrade instead.
Yeah, so then definitely just try to plan it so you have more space for those incremental upgrades. I've never had the money to get everything at once, but I shot myself in the foot by putting it together and not planning for a future where i could add reactors and such.

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so then definitely just try to plan it so you have more space for those incremental upgrades. I've never had the money to get everything at once, but I shot myself in the foot by putting it together and not planning for a future where i could add reactors and such.
I'm definitely gonna take my time and plan everything how I want it. As I'm slowly putting my list together, I'm thinking that there won't be rock or water in it until next fall or next christmas. I realize it's a long time for a small tank but I wanna make sure everything is right and I gotta find a job. Like I said, being a freshman in college and owning reef tanks is not a good combo. I'm definitely gonna look further into the future now and consider if I might add any reactors later on and plan for them.

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just realized that I have two different accounts? Apologies for that but I'm the same person.

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I estimated that the tank will have rock and water in it sometime around next fall or winter. Mostly cause I planning it out and I have to find a job. My hands have been tied all semester so money has been tight. I can probably use the 20 long and add the baffles making the skimmer/reactor section larger (not by much) and shorten the refugium rather than the return section in case I need a larger pump for any reason.

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I estimated that the tank will have rock and water in it sometime around next fall or winter. Mostly cause I planning it out and I have to find a job. My hands have been tied all semester so money has been tight. I can probably use the 20 long and add the baffles making the skimmer/reactor section larger (not by much) and shorten the refugium rather than the return section in case I need a larger pump for any reason.
That works too. There's definitely multiple ways to solve an issue, I'm just reflecting back on how I would solve my current limitations that I didn't predict. I actually ended up with my setup as an emergency transfer after aajor tank lead in my biocube 32. Pet o had the dollar gallon sale and I made it work over the course of a few days.

OP
OP
C

CollegeReefer32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works too. There's definitely multiple ways to solve an issue, I'm just reflecting back on how I would solve my current limitations that I didn't predict. I actually ended up with my setup as an emergency transfer after aajor tank lead in my biocube 32. Pet o had the dollar gallon sale and I made it work over the course of a few days.
Just now thought about it but what if I used a 20 long for the sump and a 10 gallon or 20 high for the refugium? It sounds a little overkill but it’s give me plenty of room in the main sump for reactors, skimmer, etc. Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been really busy with school

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just now thought about it but what if I used a 20 long for the sump and a 10 gallon or 20 high for the refugium? It sounds a little overkill but it’s give me plenty of room in the main sump for reactors, skimmer, etc. Sorry for the late reply. I’ve been really busy with school
That sounds even better as long as you have the space, to keep both tanks and figure out how you'd like to plum it.

I was able to fit a 20h and 3 1 liter dosing containers underneath the 40B. So really it looks like a 20L would pretty much use up all your under tank space.

I like making sure everything is secure in my sump. I don't want my skimmer potentially getting knocked over, or shading an area of my refugium with the addition of new equipment.

I think a 20l is plenty of space for everything you could need as long as you planned it out ahead of time, drilled the sump and plumed a manifold into your return. With my 20h I would've had enough space for everything had I drilled it. Since I didn't I cannot add a manifold because my pump isn't strong enough and I don't have enough space to add another pump with any reactors. My refugium is plenty big though, and I have a nice sized skimmer.

Things are going well in my tank too, so I really can't complain about much. I just like to do incremental upgrades and I'm at a standstill as far as those go now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back