40 gal breeder or AIO?

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys new to the saltwater community. I purchased a 40 gal breeder for my first reef tank but now that I'm stepping back and thinking about all the extra attachments I will need for HOB 40 breeder. Do you guys think AIO or should I stick to 40 breeder? Thanks

cPr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think this first depends on what your budget is.

If you’re new, the bigger the better to start with, so a 40 breeder is a good start. I wouldn’t go the HOB method however.

I would purchase a small overflow, drill bit and drill the tank, honestly not as hard as it might sound. A local fish store or member of a local club might even be able to help.

I would then grab a sump and go that route.

If you’re looking at an AIO, it does save a little money but also has it’s negatives too.

Do you have a budget that is causing you to question the HOB method or just viewing the amount of hardware you will need?

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget is the main thing. But I want to do it correct and you get what you pay for. So I'm not cheap but I can't go all out. I'm looking at some frostbite ocellaris and some nice corals from wwc and I don't want to kill off my stock after investing so much into it. Any tips or advice would be awesome thanks! @cPr

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yes I hear alot of people are afraid to plumb a tank that it scares them but im sure after watching enough videos on YouTube I can manage.

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @lapinim thinking so for my first tank so I don't have to overwhelm myself with the plumbing and hardware and perfect measurement and once u make it it is set like that can't really change do you have any ideas.for good aio with good pumps and all the equipment

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine and Waterbox make nice AIO. What is your budget? The IM 40 AIO is $550. That doesn't include light, skimmer, heater, or stand. You could probably find a 75 or 90 gallon used with sump and equipment for that money.

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I was trying to stay under 1k and I wasn't even thinking of a used tank already plumbed with sump and all. Thanks man! @Tcook

rblackmon89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fiji cube also makes a “drop in diy AIO” for a variety of tanks including 40b. I used it for a little while. For a budget I really don’t think it can be beat!

StarksReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40G breeder. I would go with a sump. I can't fit one in my cabinet and wanted to keep the tank really simple in terms of equipment. But over time you start adding more and more stuff and you will wish you had a sump! Most of my stuff is hidden behind the rock work, and doesn't stand out against the black background. I think an AIO doesn't offer that much room for new equipment later on.

A sump also allows you to grow chaeto later on if needed, something I cannot add to my tank. It is also better for your ATO (which you will probably get eventually). No waves to mess with the floater and no algae growth on the sensor. I gotta clean mine all the time to keep it working optimal.

Tip to save some money: buy a second-hand LED

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder with a drilled overflow and return and a 20g sump. It’s worked beautifully for me. I think you’ll be much happier in the long run with a sump that will hide all your equipment. For more info, my build thread is in my signature and it has every step in lots of detail. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

James52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much man! Il be watching the video to learn more. I really want a sump I know its the best thing possibly for the longevity and healthiness for my tank but I just don't want to mess it up trying to plumb and do something wrong and get discouraged @glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much man! Il be watching the video to learn more. I really want a sump I know its the best thing possibly for the longevity and healthiness for my tank but I just don't want to mess it up trying to plumb and do something wrong and get discouraged @glb
It’s not as hard as it looks. I’m here to help out!

roccomorra

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to am looking to purchase a 40 gallon breeder as my first reef tank- local fish store has one with everything but the stand for $597.00 plus tax, just would need live sand/rock and the marine life to put in it- does that sound good?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back