40 Gallon Aquarium Set up - many questions

Bones228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
This is my first post on R2R. I've just graduated from freshwater and my wife dared me to take the plunge into saltwater which I gladly accepted. I want to go the reef route and most likely just go with LPS & an anemone (bubble tip) for my clownish. Basically, I just want to know if I am on track and if the below stocking looks correct.

I purchased the below items so far:

40 gallon clear for life uniquarium
2 hydor 425 gph powerheads
40 lbs of reef saver dry rock
a refractometer
a spectrapure rodi unit

still need:
roughly 60 lbs of arogonite sand
protein skimmer
heater

My question's in regards to the set up are as follows:

1) I have yet to receive the aquarium and I am unsure as to how much room I'll have for a protein skimmer within the uniquarium. I know that clear for life sells their own (which I am having problems locating) but I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation as to what protein skimmer I should go with... also, which spot does it take up within the uniquarium?
2) I plan on replacing the bioballs with rubblerock. Any clue how many lbs would work?

I said I had a lot of questions in the heading... Now I just want some advice in regards to stocking the aquarium. I currently like something like this:

2 Ocellaris clown fish
Royal gramma
Purple firefish (I'm aware they're jumpers so have a closed lid)
1 or 3 Banggai cardinalfish
CUC: trochus snail, small hermit crabs, a shrimp and maybe a fighting conch

My issue here is the banggai cardinalfish. I'm willing to feed frozen food until they can eventually take flakes/pellets. I'm just not sure if 3 would be pushing my stocking limit or if 3 is actually a good number. I've been reading about them and everyone has a different answer it seems.

Thanks a lot for any guidance... I don't know anyone with a saltwater tank so I've been reading non-stop online but figured it was time to reach out to people who knew the hobby.

77railer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2 cents and I'm a noon as well....I'd go with a HOB protein skimmer...switch out the hydor for 1 jebao sw-8 wavemaker, and replace the pump that comes with it for a rio...much better performance....I'm using crushed Coral as it doesn't blow around as bad and helps with ph. As far as the bubbletip...they can and will walk around the tank and sting your acros which is a pita. I may have missed it but I did not hear you mention lights...what are you thinking of going with?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Welcome,
I am aware of some smaller skimmers from tunze which might work. I am not familiar with this brand of tank so i am unable to give you any help on that note. Some things to consider:Lighting-what type of lighting does it come with and would you want to upgrade to a more powerful light in case you decide to through in some more light demanding corals in the future. I would put bubble tip before any corals so that it can acclimate and move without stinging any corals, Make sure to protect the powerheads! Some good starter LPS: Euphelia group consist of hammers,frogspawn and torch corals,acans,lobos. It would be smart to quartine the new arrivals to help prevent diseases. There are many great heaters. I curently use a inline heater which is great but yours might do better with an in tank heater. Some small ones are available which I do not have enough knowledge on them to give any info. I like the fish list Be aware that royal gramma can be semi aggressive. The stocking limit to me is what you are willing to do for maintanence to keep all inhabitants fat and healthy. And also leave room for the fish to reach adult size. Hope this helps get you somewhere. :)

OP
OP
B

Bones228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention lighting! I know the hood that comes with my aquarium has a mounting kit that you can by separately (no idea how good it is or how to even order). I'm willing to take any suggestions on what I should do for lighting

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have a specific budget in mind for lighting? This could help us narrow down some good lighting in your price range.

OP
OP
B

Bones228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advise so far! I HAVE to get a royal gramma to make the wife happy lol.

As for lighting, would $100-150 get me something that would work?

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually a better question is what type of lighting...LED,T5 or metal halides, or combo? Sorry forgot to ask that.

OP
OP
B

Bones228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the researched I've done it think I'm leaning either LED or T5

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run LED and t5 as a combo on my tank. What I have found out that point source LED can lead to some shadowing and the way I remedied that was by using some T5's. I have a similar sized tank to yours as well. For LED and for the size tank you have I might would reccomend SB reef lights. I run 3 of those over my bigger tank and love them pretty affordable. You can see which one that would give the spread and or buy two of them to assure you wont have shadowing from just one source of light.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These model light You control blue and white colors. I believe these are the older model though. Sorry for all the dust lol. I also run Kessil a160's and two T5's over the 55 if you would like to see that set up as well? No problem bro It's nice to help people getting into reefing as I was helped manytimes and now it is my turn.
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0527.JPG
IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back