40 gallon breeder flow.

reefynoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been in the hobby for about 6 months. I’ve got a 40 gallon breeder currently set up and running. I have 2 off brand wavemakers that have a flow rate of 800gph. I have one on the left side toward the back of the tank and one on the right side toward the front of the tank. Flow is side to side. Just wondering if that’s enough flow and if I have them in the correct position. Mostly lps and soft coral. Only plan on a cpl pcs of sps once it’s ready for it. Please feel free to comment and help with any knowledge or suggestions. Thanks I’m advance. I can add pics if anyone would like to see. It is a budget tank.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the rock structure within your tank and placement of the corals.
Instead of pictures, video of the tank is way more helpful when determining flow requirements.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i used to have my 2 nero 3's in this configuration. once i started adding SPS i moved the nero on the left to be on the back glass aiming to the front glass. then shifted the other to the middle of the right side of the glass, and adjusted my returns to areas where i feel the nero's can't reach.

as it stands, your setup is just fine for what you want to grow/keep. but as @T-J mentioned, a video would help more due to rock structure.

OP
OP
R

reefynoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the rock structure within your tank and placement of the corals.
Instead of pictures, video of the tank is way more helpful when determining flow requirements.
Ok. I’ll try and post a vid once I get home from work today. Things seem mostly happy, but I have some red algae on the sand bed in the back. Thanks for the advice.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I’ll try and post a vid once I get home from work today. Things seem mostly happy, but I have some red algae on the sand bed in the back. Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like cyano. One of the things cyano likes are dead spots with little/no flow.

BoogerDaBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40B softie and LPS tank also and had a similar flow configuration for the first 6 months. It was enough for the coral to be happy, but realized over time it wasn't enough to keep detritus suspended long enough to be filtered out. I believe this was why I started seeing cyano also. I added a third small powerhead towards the bottom blowing across the sand bed where the cyano was and it helped greatly.

Since then I have upgraded to a pair of Nero 3's and haven't had to supplement with the third powerhead.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back