40 Gallon Oceanic Cube

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I am getting a Oceanic 40 Gallon Cube aquarium. I am running a ATO, a AI Prime HD, and a couple other parts to make it run smoothly, but I am confused on what filter to run on the tank. Does anyone have any recommendations on what canister filter would be best for the 40 gallon? Thank you for the advice.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space build or buy a sump where you can put your filter system. Otherwise you will need to setup your filter system in the back of that aio tank. Usually it’s filter sock protein skimmer refugium when possible then maybe carbon or some other media bags depending on your tank setup if it’s going to be fish only or corals or both. You’ll need to do some research. ;) good luck and don’t rush your cycle. I don’t think people run canister filtersmuch on salt water tanks.

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a sump in the past and it over flowed 100 gallons of water all over my floor, so I have not had good experiences with sumps. I was trying to avoid them but if I have to then I will. How would i stop the sump from overflowing if the power cuts?

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space build or buy a sump where you can put your filter system. Otherwise you will need to setup your filter system in the back of that aio tank. Usually it’s filter sock protein skimmer refugium when possible then maybe carbon or some other media bags depending on your tank setup if it’s going to be fish only or corals or both. You’ll need to do some research. ;) good luck and don’t rush your cycle. I don’t think people run canister filtersmuch on salt water tanks.
Also what size sump would you suggest for a 40? I want to be able to put a skimmer in it as well as a heater. New to sumps.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First alway test to see if, when it shuts off, the tank and sump level out. I alway fill my tank up to where it just starts to over flow, then sump up to where you want it, turn it on and don't top off, draw a line or mark on glass where you water level should be ( or set ato valve or what ever there). They only way it over flows is if ato stays on, or if doing a hob overflow, the siphon stops and tank overflows from main display getting all the water it can from sump. People baffle smaller returns in their sump for potential problems.

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure about the dimensions just yet. I know it is the cube, so im guessing its squared so Im not sure if its 4 foot. Its not a typical breeder. I was thinking of a 20 gallon or a 10 gallon sump.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh lol duh ;Joyful ;Joyful . There might be specifically built ones for cubes that are baffled and sectioned out. I run a 20g long under my 65 have a few inches on either side lol.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also run a nice skimmer in the back. Tunze have good reviews. Not as awesome as a sump but works to remove some poop and food

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've look for specifically built ones and I haven't found one small enough. I wonder if I run one of the hang on the back skimmers and just did a 10 gallon sump, if that would work well??

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also run a nice skimmer in the back. Tunze have good reviews. Not as awesome as a sump but works to remove some poop and food
or couldn't I just run a good internal skimmer in the 10 gallon sump and accomplish the same thing?

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does running micro algae, grown pods, and more rock mean? Im guessing rock is more live rock for the bacteria but what is the algae and grown pods??

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back