OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samparker I would love a nice long 4K video of the tank with chill music ( or even no I can add the tunes on my end)
I love to make playlist of amazing tanks for back ground TV stuff. better than whats on anyway. :D
I have some cool things coming, be sure to subscribe to my channel and you will be pleased ;)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some cool things coming, be sure to subscribe to my channel and you will be pleased ;)

I'm already pleased! Keep up the great work!

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and fishes! I find it interesting that people always comment on overstocking when these are some of the healthiest specimens of their representative species. Public aquariums are definitely more overstocked than this. The fish do not appear stressed and are healthy, so I’m not sure what the problem is.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within chaos you find piece. My 400g display tank has over 160 fish in it. I like smaller fish, but have many of the same fish as the tank in the video and have no aggression issues.

I have 9 yellow tangs, 3 purple tangs, 3 hippo tangs, 1 hippo tang with no tail, Chevron tang, Gem tang, Black Tang and Monster Achilles Tang.

For the angels I have Trio of Venustus, Flame, Trio of Flamebacks (Spawning), Pair of Golden, Trio of Bellus (Spawning), pair of Joculator and a pair of Goldflakes (spawning).

With a tank packed with life and fish - I have not heard of anyone else having Goldflakes Spawn in captivity.

Other spawning fish include - Target Mandarins, Green Mandarins, Red Scooter Blennies, Bangai's, Clowns, Frimandi Pseudochromis and Orange Tail Damsels.

For those who are curious - Live webcam -- www.o2manyfish.com/webcam -- Tank lights come on after 5pm PST - Also lots of videos on Youtube under o2manyfish.
If only I could get a full stocking list. From the video it looks like coral density and fish density play a huge role.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good work . . . The 5th time???

Did I hear you say you’ve torn the tank down 5 times due to ich?

You are dedicated for sure. Final product is nice.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and fishes! I find it interesting that people always comment on overstocking when these are some of the healthiest specimens of their representative species. Public aquariums are definitely more overstocked than this. The fish do not appear stressed and are healthy, so I’m not sure what the problem is.
Tang police or “wannabe” tang police

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to Ask, do you have acans in the tank? How are the angels with nipping? I believe toward the end of the video the narrator joked about an angel eating your sps on the right side of your tank. I’d love a regal angel but keep a mixed tank with some nice torches as well and don’t want to risk it.

OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to Ask, do you have acans in the tank? How are the angels with nipping? I believe toward the end of the video the narrator joked about an angel eating your sps on the right side of your tank. I’d love a regal angel but keep a mixed tank with some nice torches as well and don’t want to risk it.
Hi - I'm the narrator and I'll answer on behalf of Thomas. I don't think he does have acans in the tank, but does have a range of LPS and SPS. The angels are kept at bay by large amounts of feeding. Seems to stop them eating too much coral.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not being defensive, just curious on your measurement to define well stocked and overstocked?

There is no hard/fast rule (at least none that I subscribe to) but when i see a tank like that and I can't even figure out where they'd comfortably hide at night, something is amiss.

And im not sayings you're being defensive, I'm just amazed by the "fat and happy" comments. Like that somehow negates the issue of comfortable space for animals in captivity.

Maybe it was mentioned but how many total fish are in the there? I feel like at some point common sense takes over and when people, in the hobby, look at a tank and think "whoa thats a bit much" some reconsiderations are in order.

Last edited:
OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no hard/fast rule (at least none that I subscribe to) but when i see a tank like that and I can't even figure out where they'd comfortably hide at night, something is amiss.

And im not sayings you're being defensive, I'm just amazed by the "fat and happy" comments. Like that somehow negates the issue of comfortable space for animals in captivity.

Maybe it was mentioned but how many fish are in the there? I feel like at some point common sense takes over and when people, in the hobby, look at a tank and think "whoa thats a bit much" some reconsiderations are in order.
yeah fair enough, I guess that is why there is such divided opinion on the matter as it is just that, opinion.

I'd be interested to see the tank in the middle of the night as I'd all but bet you would struggle to find a fish in sight. They are amazing at finding spots!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those saying overstocked and the fish aren't happy - How you going to make that judgement that fish in 'overstocked' tanks aren't healthy or comfortable?

If the fish are fat, and healthy...
Nobody is beat to crap...
No small fish are hiding in the corners?
'Difficult to Keep Fish' are spawning?
Some of the fish in the tank are over 10 years old... Oh yeah those fish must be really uncomfortable.

If you look at the average time span for most hobbyists in our hobby--- a fish that survives in any tank for more than 16 months is already an anomaly -- But if he survived in an overstocked tank he must be unhealthy, uncomfortable, depressed, suicidal (okay in all fairness fairy wrasses and firefish are suicidal in my tank and end up on the carpet) miserable, terrified.... Oh yeah - He's alive, swimming and eating -- But a bunch of yahoo's with some vision as to what a fish really needs say he's not.

Who wants to quote some BS archaic myth that you measure a fish - and then assign an amount of gallons to that inch of fish.... Yeah that's a real strong scientific principal....

My tank is overstocked - with both fish and corals. I have fish that are over 10 years old. I have mushrooms that are over 25 years old. And my fish list includes some of the most 'difficult' or 'expert' level fish.

So Naysayers come up with some genuine way to show that the fish in your understocked tank are healthier, happier, more comfortable, living more naturally than those in my overstocked tank.

Dave B

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I keep my dog in a 5'x5' closet and hes just fine! I clean up his poop so the room stays clean and he does circles when he hears me come close, so plenty of exercise! He eats well and is fat and happy and yet theses yahoos come along and tell me hes not. By golly I even read him betime stories! He is nearly 10 years old!

Prove to me that your dog is healthier and more comfortable roaming the house!

Yeah, Take that naysayers!"

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dog in a closet -- Great example. I wonder if you're making that point and your dogs are crate trained so getting into the closet gives them room to at least stretch. It's all relative. My dogs are under 10lbs. They spend their days sleeping pretty much wherever my fat butt sits. Given that when I leave the house they just go to the front window and sit and wait for my car to come back down the street, they really don't need all that much square footage to have a great quality of life -- while my fish are swimming around all day long and hanging out.

Seriously did you think you were making some valid point -- Fish and Dogs ?? Using your premise most of the fish in our tanks need to be kept in a swimming pool. But hey that's not the way this hobby works.

I recently 'adopted' a bunch of fish and corals from a friend moving out of the country. One of the fish was a giant blue line tang- About 13" long 8"+ tall and over 1.5" wide. He has spent the last 7 years growing up (and out) in a 200g tank. I put him in my 300g sump. He went from 5.5' to 8' of swimming room. And this big guy doesn't even care. He doesn't swim fast. He doesn't zoom around the tank. He just hangs out. In the past 5 weeks he's actually added almost an inch to his width. No neurotic behavior. Doesn't try to hide when I walk up to the tank.

While I never would have thought a fish that size would be happy in a 'small' tank. The fish seems pretty darn happy and comfortable.

You make a valid point about a dog in a closet -- But it's not the same thing. And some of the best show dogs in the world spend their lives in crates. Fish are not on the same complex personality of a dog. For a fish if they have something to eat, and nothing is eating them -- Well that's pretty much the best quality of life they hope for.

Fish in the wild don't go swimming around the reef to relax, take a load off, clear their mind, get some cardio - They are looking for food. And many fish species (that we keep) pack themselves into schools where they literally have no swimming room - the guy in front of you turns and you have no choice but to turn.

Good example, but really not the same thing.

Dave B

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dog in a closet -- Great example. I wonder if you're making that point and your dogs are crate trained so getting into the closet gives them room to at least stretch. It's all relative. My dogs are under 10lbs. They spend their days sleeping pretty much wherever my fat butt sits. Given that when I leave the house they just go to the front window and sit and wait for my car to come back down the street, they really don't need all that much square footage to have a great quality of life -- while my fish are swimming around all day long and hanging out.

Seriously did you think you were making some valid point -- Fish and Dogs ?? Using your premise most of the fish in our tanks need to be kept in a swimming pool. But hey that's not the way this hobby works.

I recently 'adopted' a bunch of fish and corals from a friend moving out of the country. One of the fish was a giant blue line tang- About 13" long 8"+ tall and over 1.5" wide. He has spent the last 7 years growing up (and out) in a 200g tank. I put him in my 300g sump. He went from 5.5' to 8' of swimming room. And this big guy doesn't even care. He doesn't swim fast. He doesn't zoom around the tank. He just hangs out. In the past 5 weeks he's actually added almost an inch to his width. No neurotic behavior. Doesn't try to hide when I walk up to the tank.

While I never would have thought a fish that size would be happy in a 'small' tank. The fish seems pretty darn happy and comfortable.

You make a valid point about a dog in a closet -- But it's not the same thing. And some of the best show dogs in the world spend their lives in crates. Fish are not on the same complex personality of a dog. For a fish if they have something to eat, and nothing is eating them -- Well that's pretty much the best quality of life they hope for.

Fish in the wild don't go swimming around the reef to relax, take a load off, clear their mind, get some cardio - They are looking for food. And many fish species (that we keep) pack themselves into schools where they literally have no swimming room - the guy in front of you turns and you have no choice but to turn.

Good example, but really not the same thing.

Dave B

I was just using a loaded argument to poke fun at (what i felt) was also a loaded argument.

Look I've taken risks, in this hobby, that I probably shouldn't have. And, if I'm honest, I will likely choose to take a few more. But i think it would be a little irresponsible of me to get defensive and try to condone these risks. I don't think I should pretend like it's fine because I got away with it, or worse, criticize people who point out these risks.

Idk… I feel like much of the stuff we try starts off as a 'devil's advocate' kind of thing. Which is fair enough. But then we tend to forget we ignored some common sense along the way, because we managed to be successful.

Now with that in mind, I'm going to go pull out that electric eel I put in my reef tank. That was a risk I may not have fully thought through… ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back