40+ Tangs and Angels in one tank!!!! [VIDEO]

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smartwater101 --- Touche' really nice way to respond (I'm Not being sarcastic or a prick)

You're in LA - Have you been to my house?

Invitation extended - I am in Encino. Everyone leaves with free corals.

Dave B

I have not. But I'd definitely like to check in out! And let me know if you're in the market for eels. I have an electric that I think is just really bored with my tank. He hasn't moved... in like five days.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the people trying to say it isn't overstocked. Ya'll can get as defensive as ya like, its clearly crowded.
In theory if water parameters are good and the fish are healthy and you are not losing fish to aggression is the tank not fine. Idk his parameters but everything looks good and if its healthy and it works long term then its fine. Yes its crowded but so are some great freshwater tanks. People break the rules sometimes with great sucess so you just gotta appreciate the few that pull of things we don't have the guts to try.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried really hard to have an open mind on this one. But Being a negative nah-sayer here, sorry....I'm not being jealous... just a realist

He said he failed 5-Times. His words, not mine. So the secret to his success is a MASSIVE bank account replacing livestock.....

Sorta like saying...."Yes this is my 6th Ferrari and incredibly I dont change the oil, ever! Please interview me on my success not changing engine oil and driving 180mph to work. Let's go for a spin, shall we? You got your AAA card handy, right?" :p

Let's go back and interview him on his 6th failure. Better yet, interview the Wife clanging dishes in the kitchen during the interview. She might throw a few dishes and throw his clothes out on the lawn. LOLOLOL

Moderator failed to ask how much and how often he does WATER CHANGES. frustrating not knowing that......

But again, very few ppl can afford 5 times failing unless they have a $100,000+ budget

He did make some GREAT points though:

* buy the best new equipment available

* quarantine both fish and coral

* use massively overrated skimmers (which is the heart of many problems IMO. having an under performing skimmer is starting off losing the game)

* one thing that slipped by unnoticed.... is the African Cleaner Wrasse he had cleaning all those fish. I dont want to debate this point as many say Cleaner Wrasses dont do anything to prevent ICH. In 15yrs I've lost a few Tangs to ICH. Ever since I put an African Cleaner Wrasse in, never had an issue since.....plz dont debate me on that point. I'll read your debate but wont listen, lol

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jschultzbass

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a negative nah-sayer here, sorry....

He said he failed 5-Times. His words, not mine. So the secret to his success is a MASSIVE bank account replacing livestock.....

Sorta like saying...."Yes this is my 5th Ferrari and incredibly I dont change the oil, ever! Please interview me on my success not changing engine oil and driving 180mph to work. Let's go fir a spin, shall we? You got your AAA card handy, right?" :p

Let's go back and interview him on his 6th failure. Better yet, interview the Wife clanging dishes in the kitchen during the interview. She might throw a few dishes and throw his clothes out on the lawn. LOLOLOL

Moderator failed to ask how much and how often he does WATER CHANGES. frustrating not knowing that......

But again, very few ppl can afford 5 times failing unless they have a $100,000+ budget

He did make some GREAT points though:

* buy the best new equipment available

* quarantine both fish and coral

* use massively overrated skimmers (which is the heart of many problems IMO. having an under performing skimmer is starting off losing the game)

* one thing that slipped by unnoticed.... is the African Cleaner Wrasse he had cleaning all those fish. I dont want to debate this point as many say Cleaner Wrasses dont do anything to prevent ICH. In 15yrs I've lost a few Tangs to ICH. Ever since I put an African Cleaner Wrasse in, never had an issue since.....plz dont debate me on that point. I'll read your debate but wont listen, lol

He said he failed 5 times but that doesn't mean he lost $10,000 in fish each time or that when he failed his tank had even half as many fish as that in it. I've failed a few times myself and now do exactly as he does with TTM and haven't had any ich in my 130 gal sps or 300 gallon fowlr.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40+ tangs x roughly $200 a fish = $8,000

$8,000 x on his 6th attempt = $48,000

And thats just livestock and not coral. And not equipment additions and maintenance replacements to support the bioload

I'm comfortable with my $100k estimate on total overall operating costs

BETCHA the wife is thinking $100k buys a LOT of shoes if she divorced him.

Happy wife with happy shoes = happy life
LOLOLOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
samparker

samparker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He pulled the tank down 5 times. Didn’t say he lost a fish, they just got white spot.

Thomas cafes greatly for his fish and didn’t want to run a tank with white spot so he pulled it down, quarantined everything and started again.

He does a 30% water change a week.

If you have any questions. Just ask, usually better than assuming :)

Eder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[emoji225] [emoji1986]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was my 1st thought too. but the fish do seem healthy and happy. I wonder if there is a point where more fish = less aggression or more spread out anyway.

if the fish are healthy and the care taker loves the tank then I am OK with it. he knows he is pushing the boundary and is even up grading to a bigger tank.
I have 8 acanthurus tangs and one zebrasoma in my 180 gal. The last acanthurus came out of qt and went in without even being noticed. By the end of the year my 320gal will be cycked and they will all transfer over to it.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple vids of my pack of tangs.

Attachments

• 20190714_154819.mp4
    31.2 MB
  • 20190714_154855.mp4
    61 MB

Silentdeath5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: what kind of wrasse is that at at 18 min mark. It looks like a melanurus wrasse but different colors.

Back