400g Tank Ordered for Predator Fish/Shark/Soft Coral build & I need flow suggestions!

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished the renovations on the new house and I'm going to treat myself with my first monster tank, however, I have some ambitious goals with it, and I need Everyone's Knowledgeable Help, because the information and products are so overwhelming.

The tank dimensions are 96"L x 30"W x 36"H

While I don't have the tank yet, as it's lead time for build completion is still 6-8 weeks out, I do have multiple fish in QT.

Stock list so far:

Tangs:
-Koi Scopas XL
-Achilles XL
-Powder Blue XXL
-Blonde Naso XXL
-Purple M
-Desjardini M
-Veliferum S-M
-Blue Hippo S-M
-Clown - S-M

Puffers:
-Brown Mappa L
-Porcupine M

Groupers:
-Miniatus S
-Red Louti M

Triggers:
-Niger M
-Picasso M

Angels:
-Flagfin M

Butterflies:
-Pyramid M

Misc.:
-Marine Betta M

Sharks:
-Pair of M/F Epaulettes - M

There was an Emperor Angel on the list but he passed away in QT unfortunately. Other additions may include more tangs, panther grouper, blue lined grouper, goldflake angel, spiny box puffer, some foxface/rabbits, more pyramid butterflies, school of XL Moorish Idols, and probably not this- but a Blue Dot Ray if the footprint for it is enough, which leads me to my aquascape.

The Aquascape is going to be NSA as I want to keep a lot of the sand bed open for the sharks, and enough hiding places for the Groupers, and holes for the tangs to swim through. I'm all about the open water so the total length of the structure may be 6', 7 at most, and the height will be 18" to leave 18" of open swimming space. I do plan on a 1-2" sandbed, but haven't figured out which sand to use, but it will have to work for my Sharks and possible Ray.

Filtration is going to run through a Trigger Systems Platinum 39 with the mat roller, through a Bubble Magus Skimmer Curve 7, Bright well BIO and XPort blocks, and possibly my IceCap Algae Scrubber.

My main issue is figuring out flow.

I've watched so many BRS videos and others, but I'm so overwhelmed with the information I have no idea what direction to go, especially because the fish in this setup are more traditionally for FOWLR systems.

I currently own 3x MaxxSpect Gyres, and multiple MP40s... Enough I don't know the exact number while writing this. I would like to have to the currents switch up for a more natural environment. I also would like to test run Soft Corals and maybe Anemones in this tank to see if they do okay with the stock.

Anyone have any recommendations on how much turnover? I would assume I'd be running a MaxxSpect Gyre on each side at the top of the tank, and maybe 2 MP40s on each side, two cover flow behind the rocks and the others in the front, and then having the currents fluctuate on all via a controller. Should I invest in MP60s?

I also need an idea of what size return pump I should use? I do have a Neptune Apex system, but not the return pump for it.

As for lighting I currently have 4x AI Hydra 32s, but I'll likely need to either add more or upgrade due to the 36" depth.

Ultimately, in this tank, the fish are priority, so the flow needs to work for them first and foremost, and then I will give the soft corals a chance.

It would probably be a few months before any Coral make it into the tank. I QT EVERYTHING.

Thank you anyone for your assistance! I look forward to trying to perfect this build!

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yes, I've always had luck with a faster growth in my Surgeonfish, but if I can get my hands on some show size out of the gate I will.

I'm looking for a show size Goldflake Angel at the moment, but as many of you know they're kind of a seasonal fish. Christmas Island has been somewhat light on shipping lately it seems.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that heavy of a Bioload I think I may go a with a little bigger skimmer. Manufacturers rating is only up to 240 gallon and the manufacturers usually rate then for a rather light fish load.
I was thinking about that. I listed the curve 7 because it's what I currently have, but not opposed to going up.

I know the mat rollers can be extremely effective, but this will be my first one, so I don't really know what skimmer to match it up against.

I was thinking of running a T off the overflow to both My scrubber and roller, in which the case I would probably need a larger skimmer for sure because much if the leftover food and waste is running down the scrubber.

I'm hoping the Brightwell BIO and XPort blocks serve their purpose well.

I haven't set it up yet but the blocks, scrubber, and skimmer I plan to run with a bunch of converted Mollies to build up a bioload so it can be a nice transition once the 400g gets here.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second that the skimmer needs to be bigger. I would be looking at a skimmer rated for 700-1000 gallons with the bioload you are planning as it will be stretching the stocking capacity for a tank that size even with a roller mat. For waterflow with pumps I would just put everything on 100% random mode which should keep it moving for the fish. For a return pump turnover 2-4 times/hour should be enough. Another consideration would be a dedicated denitrification filter to control nitrates in the event they get to unacceptably high levels. What are you using for heating? Looking at the stocking list I would recommend against the sharks since you will have puffers, angels, and triggers which are all known to pick at sharks. I considered a shark for my 720 FOWLER when it was running and there were several accounts from R2R members of angels, puffers, and triggers constantly bothering sharks to the point of killing them.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second that the skimmer needs to be bigger. I would be looking at a skimmer rated for 700-1000 gallons with the bioload you are planning as it will be stretching the stocking capacity for a tank that size even with a roller mat. For waterflow with pumps I would just put everything on 100% random mode which should keep it moving for the fish. For a return pump turnover 2-4 times/hour should be enough. Another consideration would be a dedicated denitrification filter to control nitrates in the event they get to unacceptably high levels. What are you using for heating? Looking at the stocking list I would recommend against the sharks since you will have puffers, angels, and triggers which are all known to pick at sharks. I considered a shark for my 720 FOWLER when it was running and there were several accounts from R2R members of angels, puffers, and triggers constantly bothering sharks to the point of killing them.

Thanks for the reply.

Any recommendation on a good return pump? I have the Neptune Apex system and not sure if I should go with their pump?

I've heard good things about the Reef Octopus Varios pumps. If I went with the Varios would it be better to run a Varios-8 or 2x Varios-4, -2s?

As for the sharks and their cohabitants, that is definitely something to consider. They are the main reason for going with a tank this size, and plan them to be the centerpiece of the tank. I do have a 125g as well but I was hoping to just eventually get rid of that. If the Puffers/Angels/Triggers don't work out I can re-home some of them to that.

If I wasn't going to go with the sharks or potential rays, I'd probably go down to a 300g.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all think the hydra 32s will be enough lighting for a 36" tank? The max I'll be able to mount them above the tank is probably 20", although I assume with top of my rock work being 18" from the top of the tank, I won't need to mount them that high above. Currently I have 4, but I can always add some more as well, or even some different lights.

I know Ryan is a fan of the Kessils with the Reef Brite strips.

I'm Not opposed to something like the 4x Hydra 32s, 2x Reef Brite 72" 50/50 or A.Blue strips, and 2 other lights that would be great for soft corals, or 2 more Hydra 32s

I'm open to any ideas. Thanks

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

Any recommendation on a good return pump? I have the Neptune Apex system and not sure if I should go with their pump?

I've heard good things about the Reef Octopus Varios pumps. If I went with the Varios would it be better to run a Varios-8 or 2x Varios-4, -2s?

As for the sharks and their cohabitants, that is definitely something to consider. They are the main reason for going with a tank this size, and plan them to be the centerpiece of the tank. I do have a 125g as well but I was hoping to just eventually get rid of that. If the Puffers/Angels/Triggers don't work out I can re-home some of them to that.

If I wasn't going to go with the sharks or potential rays, I'd probably go down to a 300g.

If you are looking for high water flow output from a return pump I would look at two options.

Abyzz A400 - Pricy but its the top of the line DC pump that will put out 6000gph

Reeflo Hammerhead - AC pump that is not controllable but puts out 6000gph with the big impeller. One con is the shaft seals require replacement anywhere from 6months to a year.

Other than those pumps there are lots of great options out there for DC pumps.

For lighting you should be good for some softies. I had 2 AI vega colors on my 96x48x36T tank and it was plenty of lighting. I switched out to a reefbright strip when my old AI vegas burned out but really was not trying to keeping corals in that tank because they kept being eaten.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for high water flow output from a return pump I would look at two options.

Abyzz A400 - Pricy but its the top of the line DC pump that will put out 6000gph

Reeflo Hammerhead - AC pump that is not controllable but puts out 6000gph with the big impeller. One con is the shaft seals require replacement anywhere from 6months to a year.

Other than those pumps there are lots of great options out there for DC pumps.

For lighting you should be good for some softies. I had 2 AI vega colors on my 96x48x36T tank and it was plenty of lighting. I switched out to a reefbright strip when my old AI vegas burned out but really was not trying to keeping corals in that tank because they kept being eaten.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I'll probably stick with DC pumps so I can have some control. I've always ran AC but I'm ready to try a DC, and would love to quiet things down some. The Abyss looks amazing but I don't know if I want to spend that much on a pump. I would spend on it if it greatly outweighed the pros on the other pumps.

Good advice on the lights. Soft corals are all I plan on running in this tank because anything SPS/LPS would likely get rocked by my stock, and honestly I could probably put a more affordable and better for Soft Coral light on the tank than the Hydra 32s, as they're more focused on the LPS/SPS it seems. If the Angels/Triggers/Puffers don't work out then I can reassess the future for some harder stuff.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have pictures of your stock list?
What are you keeping them in until your build is set up?
These pictures are care of Mike @ Bay Bridge Aquarium in San Francisco (I'm in Maryland.) He's been sourcing my fish for me.

Attachments

• download_20210306_222413.jpg
    download_20210306_222413.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 53
  • download_20210306_222420.jpg
    download_20210306_222420.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 58
  • download_20210306_222435.jpg
    download_20210306_222435.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think that pink tank is suitable for a fish of that size. (Ahahahaha!)

Ha! Have you seen some of those tanks on YouTube? Pretty sure he can live for years in that pink tank.

Mike actually posted a video. These are all my fish in the tank. I would say my Porcupine is more in the large side of things now as he's almost as big as the PB.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get an idea of where this tank is going.... It's going into this nook in my kitchen.

Don't mind the countertopless cabinets, I actually built some of the countertops today.

The island is 12ft x 4ft and accented. The nook is 10ft x 2.5ft

I have an idea for the cabinet under the window here as well.

IMG_20210302_192103956.jpg IMG_20210302_192332339.jpg IMG_20210302_192024108.jpg

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built some countertops today, and I'm way ahead of myself right now, but this cabinet that is out of the way is a great length for a 40 breeder.... And I want to do an investment coral tank someday (I don't expect to make money.)

It gets great sun during the day which I think could be beneficial.

The view looks out onto the farm house and then into the mountains.

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_160950818_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210315_160950818_HDR.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give a quick update on the stock list. Unfortunately, We had a loss on the Pyramid Butterfly.

I've also made the decision to forego a couple of the fish, including the Epaulette Sharks and Rays due to the current stock of the tank. I may, in the future, move anything that would harass them out of the tank and to something else. I'd rather get this tank established before I try $1800 worth of fish likely to not make it. I have the option to get a pair at 18" each, but with the Triggers/Puffers in the current stock, it's not looking like a safe place.

I've also decided to add a couple of the same fish because I think it looks really nice when the same species swim around together, rather than a bunch of different ones.

Updated Stock:

Tangs:
-Koi Scopas XL
-Koi Scopas XL
-Hybrid Yellow/Scopas XL
-Achilles XL
-Powder Blue XXL
-Blonde Naso XXL
-Blonde Naso XXL
-Purple L
-Desjardini M
-Veliferum S-M
-Blue Hippo S-M - decided to go with multiple of the same species for now
-Clown - S-M - decided against due to their heavy aggression
-Gem Tang XL (great deal I couldn't pass up)

Puffers:
-Brown Mappa L
-Porcupine M
-Spiny Box M

Groupers:
-Miniatus S
-Red Louti M
-Blue Lined M
-Blue and Yellow Cod M

Triggers:
-Niger M
-Picasso M

Angels:
-Flagfin M -Pulling out the Angel for now as I don't think I will be able to accommodate a hiding place for it

Butterflies:
-Pyramid M - passed away in QT

Misc.:
-Marine Betta M - Forgoing as well due to constraints on hiding places

Sharks:
-Pair of M/F Epaulettes - M - decided against due to the stock of the rest of the tank (I can get a pair at 18" each but doubt that would prevent the issue)

As I am updating this list I realize that this is a lot of fish (20!) and I'm thinking that I need to split some of these off into the 125g or even more tanks, or take some of the stock off the list. Even a 400g isn't enough for all of these. I'm going to need some serious filtration for this bioload.

My other huge task is to get creative building my rockwork so I can have enough caves and hiding spots. At least the groupers I can build mostly on the lower section of the tank, and confident I can get them enough caves and to meet their size.

I have the option to get another Powder Blue as well. They're currently in the same tank with no issues and close to the same size, but again, I don't know if I should add anymore, but two powder blues would be awesome.

The only other two fish I really would like to have are a Panther Grouper and an Emperor Snapper, but again, I think I'm well past overstocked at this point.

With the mat roller, Algae Scrubber, Brightwell Blocks, UV Sterilizer already locked in....I really need to grab an adjustable Skimmer and a good size. I may even up my Algae Scrubber.

I also plan to pick up a Triton system at this point. It's just too many fish to risk. It's stressful just thinking about it, but I have about 6-8 weeks to get this figured out.

I have some good work ahead of me.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly... The sharks and the snapper were my main wants over anything else.... And here we are I have everything but them!

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of questions. The tank being built is 3/4" Acrylic. Is 3/4" enough for a 36" tank?

I'd like this tank to be able to last 40+ years (I'm asking a lot,) but I would like it to last a long time. Is there any PM work you can do to tanks over time? I know the acrylic starts to get the little cracks and veins over time. I'm not sure if I can periodically PM the tank.

Also, I broke two of my MP40s but accidentally moving them while they were on (I'm a klutz!.)

Is there a thread or video of how to fix these? I may need to purchase some MP60s if the MP40s aren't enough for the tank length, but I'd still like to fix then if I can.

Thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back