400g Tank Ordered for Predator Fish/Shark/Soft Coral build & I need flow suggestions!

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated Stock:

Tangs:
-Koi Scopas XL
-Koi Scopas XL
-Hybrid Yellow/Scopas XL
-Achilles XL
-Powder Blue XXL
-Blonde Naso XXL
-Blonde Naso XXL
-Purple L
-Desjardini M
-Veliferum S-M
-Blue Hippo S-M - decided to go with multiple of the same species for now
-Clown - S-M - decided against due to their heavy aggression
-Gem Tang XL (great deal I couldn't pass up)

Puffers:
-Brown Mappa L
-Porcupine M
-Spiny Box M

Groupers:
-Miniatus S
-Red Louti M
-Blue Lined M
-Blue and Yellow Cod M

Triggers:
-Niger M
-Picasso M

Angels:
-Flagfin M -Pulling out the Angel for now as I don't think I will be able to accommodate a hiding place for it

Butterflies:
-Pyramid M - passed away in QT

Misc.:
-Marine Betta M - Forgoing as well due to constraints on hiding places

Sharks:
-Pair of M/F Epaulettes - M - decided against due to the stock of the rest of the tank (I can get a pair at 18" each but doubt that would prevent the issue)

An Update on the stock. A couple were lost in QT, and some never were shipped like the Blue & Yellow Cod. I purchased a Blue Porcupine Puffer but it passed before the seller was able to ship.

I did pickup something very pricey, but I officially have a centerpiece for this tank.

Updated Stock:

Tangs:
-Koi Scopas XL
-Koi Scopas XL
-Koi Scopas XL
-Xanthic Scopas XL
-Xanthic Scopas L
-Achilles XL
-Powder Blue XXL
-Blonde Naso (Huge Streamers) XXL
-Blonde Naso XXL
-Purple L
-Desjardini M
-Veliferum S-M
-Blue Hippo M
-Yellow M
-Yellow M
-Gem XL
-Gem M
-Gem M
-Sohal S
-Convict M

Puffers:
-Brown Mappa L
-Porcupine M
-Spiny Box M

Groupers:
-Red Louti M
-Blue Lined M

Triggers:
-Niger M
-Picasso M

Damsels
-Golden Domino S
-Golden Domino S
-Three Stripe S
-Cloudy S

Rabbitfish
-One Spot Foxface S

Wrasse
-Red Breasted Maori L

Angels:
-Kingi S (See Pics)
-Regal Orange Belly S

IMG_20210415_215601.jpg IMG_20210415_215551.jpg IMG_20210415_215530.jpg

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind I was searching for a Goldflake and this became available.

I am still on the hunt for a Blue Porcupine, and possibly another Kingi now. I was thinking about a Black Tang but I feel like I have enough.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some video of my Kingi in QT and some of my Tangs (Big Nasos, Gems, Koi) in another tank.

Special Thanks to Mike at BayBridgeAquarium who is currently taking care of these for a few more weeks!

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a tank this large, I would consider some heavier duty pumps like the maxspect xf280 or mp60. You don’t necessarily need the flow for the corals, but you’ll want to move a lot of water to get waste into the sump and out of the display.

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a tank this large, I would consider some heavier duty pumps like the maxspect xf280 or mp60. You don’t necessarily need the flow for the corals, but you’ll want to move a lot of water to get waste into the sump and out of the display.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should update this. I've purchased everything pretty much.

I went with 4x Maxspect xf350s because I already had 3. I'm hoping having two at the top and then two near the bottom placed somewhere will get some great flow. I still have some MP40s I can target certain areas if necessary.

The Trigger Systems sump is on backorder so I canceled it and ended up going with a RO sump and am going to run a modified Bubble Magus Large fleece roller on it. The reason I went with this roller is it is 1.5" inlet, and I'm going to modify it so I can connect the second overflow to the other side of it, and I can get a much higher turnover rate in the tank.

I have two RO Varios-8 pumps to return my flow.

The tank will have the H2Overflow Stealthbox's on each side which should allow for maximum water in the tank.

I bought 400lbs of Marco Rock and 200lbs of Marco Base Rock in order to make a nice NSA aquascape and to get as many hiding places as I can to accommodate all these fish. Obviously I won't use all of this but I have multiple tanks I'm putting together.

I have a 40g Breeder that is going to be a species only Borbonius Anthias tank. I have two of them that are 4-5" each so I'm hoping, fingers crossed, to be able to breed them. Time will tell.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno man, that seems like too many fish. I have a 600g with 10 tangs and 5 or 6 wrasses, etc and watching them roll arouns i dont think there is much room left.
The miniatus gets HUGE and man of man can that fish eat! You are certainly going to want a huge refugium or dedicated denitrification system. Sweet fish though!

OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno man, that seems like too many fish. I have a 600g with 10 tangs and 5 or 6 wrasses, etc and watching them roll arouns i dont think there is much room left.
The miniatus gets HUGE and man of man can that fish eat! You are certainly going to want a huge refugium or dedicated denitrification system. Sweet fish though!

Thanks for the insight, and experience. Unfortunately, the Miniatus passed during QT. Once I got the Angel I've decided to not add the groupers back in that don't make it.

It's vastly overstocked and if anything passes I don't think I'd re add anything back in. Would be almost impossible with tangs either way.

The Kingi has become the priority and if things start to look grim for any of the fish I do have some backup 125g+ tanks. Catching them would be the big challenge though.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back