OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, y'all. I cleaned out the filter this past Sunday and what a mess it was. I had been thinking about doing it for a time now, and it sure was bad. I worked at least a pound of silt and mulm out or the sponges, along with all the grid that was floating in the water in there. I replaced the carbon with fresh gfo, so we'll see if I can get the phosphates down to something reasonable. I'd be happy with something close to .1 although I'd take half that happily.other than that the "let it ride" is going well. I successfully didn't buy anything at the lro sale last Friday; but I know what I want come November if budget allows.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by this point, is been away from my tank for 7 days. It's in the hands of an amateur. Everything is automatic except for the feeding, and my instructions amounted to a light feeding every day. I am slightly nervous to what I will come home to.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the wait and see time. I think I need to torn down the lights and get more sand sifters as I have some diatoms in the sand bed.
Also. Here's a gift for the first person to use it. Maybe let the world know it's gone when it leaves.
IMG_20220705_192134430_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I cleaned the filter I added some gfo. Man. That stuff does well in controlling phos. It's been holding steady around .1 and I think that can be within my tolerance. The Duncan I moved is loving life. Probably because he is no longer being pestered by my clowns.
On a sad note, my carpenter wrasse hopped out the tank when I was on vacation. I'll be getting a lid very soon.

Kraken Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I cleaned the filter I added some gfo. Man. That stuff does well in controlling phos. It's been holding steady around .1 and I think that can be within my tolerance. The Duncan I moved is loving life. Probably because he is no longer being pestered by my clowns.
On a sad note, my carpenter wrasse hopped out the tank when I was on vacation. I'll be getting a lid very soon.
Sorry to hear about your wrasse. Let us know when you're ready for that lid!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some clean tank shots for today.
IMG_20220612_181509729_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220612_195119799_HDR.jpg

One on my rfas has decided to climb the front glass, because why not.
IMG_20220612_181536088.jpg

Some fish pics.
IMG_20220612_195127582_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220612_195133139_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220612_195145953_HDR.jpg

Anyone have advice for the chalice, top left of the last picture, that is bleaching? I thought it could be stingers from the psammoma, top right, but it seems to be getting worse since the move.
Hows chalice doing?

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking good and I've enjoyed the journey in this thread! Sometimes you see these build threads where over the course of 4 - 6 months the tank goes from bare rock to something you see in a magazine and wonder how in the world did that happen. Your tank is looking better and better with every update. Keep sharing the updates and enjoying the journey.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks looking good and I've enjoyed the journey in this thread! Sometimes you see these build threads where over the course of 4 - 6 months the tank goes from bare rock to something you see in a magazine and wonder how in the world did that happen. Your tank is looking better and better with every update. Keep sharing the updates and enjoying the journey.
Thanks. Until recently I think I've been running before I could walk a little. It's those coral sales and frugality in other areas. I'm working on the whole patience thing.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not great. We're down kto only a couple of mouths over very little area. I'm at a loss, so if you have any advice, I'm all ears.
Any current pictures? I was looking for water params. I know most are irritated to post those, and it's okay. It just helps to see if there is enough nitrate and phosphate to match alkalinity - calcium. Most chalice type corals are resilient. If it is still with you, it can recover. It may prefer less light, or flow. There's so many things to take into consideration.

astiesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Until recently I think I've been running before I could walk a little. It's those coral sales and frugality in other areas. I'm working on the whole patience thing.
Yeah, my first couple tanks I would obsess about every little problem and felt the need to attempt to correct them immediately. It took a bit of fun out of the hobby for me and I ended up taking a break for a while.

My latest build I'm really focusing on stability and understanding nature is not always perfect (void of all algae for instance). To my surprise, I'm really enjoying the hobby much more this time.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any current pictures? I was looking for water params. I know most are irritated to post those, and it's okay. It just helps to see if there is enough nitrate and phosphate to match alkalinity - calcium. Most chalice type corals are resilient. If it is still with you, it can recover. It may prefer less light, or flow. There's so many things to take into consideration.
Tested over the weekend and they were as follows (if memory serves): alk 12, phos. .12, nitrates 15, salinity 1.026, temp. 76 or 77. No ca tested. I can retest and get a picture when I get home.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let alk drop to 8 if its at 12. I would just test alk first. If its between 8-9. Test the rest. If it is over 9. There's your issue for the time being.
Thanks. How should I drop it off it's high? I use red Sea coral pro which I understand comes out the bucket pretty high.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I found the used apex I got really helps with patience and stability. Just having more datapoints is nice to keep me feeling connected without getting my hands wet.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the used apex I got really helps with patience and stability. Just having more datapoints is nice to keep me feeling connected without getting my hands wet.
I do like tech. And it could be a good way to get the wife more in to the tank. She likes spreadsheets.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. How should I drop it off it's high? I use red Sea coral pro which I understand comes out the bucket pretty high.
How often are you changing your water? Sorry, I didn't even get a notice for this.

Also, from a post I read a while ago, some people mix the red sea salt with the pro. Just to get the right alk levels. It was one of our vendors on here.
207077-red-sea-salt-175-gal-bucket-b_1_1.jpg
The normal bucket is a tad low. But, fully acceptable for reef needs.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
checkout these graphs! https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...ghting-upgrade-over-time.910981/post-10352414
scroll down for the ph graph.

That is a reasonable price. Those are also some nice graphs!

How often are you changing your water? Sorry, I didn't even get a notice for this.

Also, from a post I read a while ago, some people mix the red sea salt with the pro. Just to get the right alk levels. It was one of our vendors on here.
207077-red-sea-salt-175-gal-bucket-b_1_1.jpg
The normal bucket is a tad low. But, fully acceptable for reef needs.
Tank alk was 12.5, mixed in reserve was 11.98. It looks like a 2:1 mix might work for lowering it to acceptable. Part of me wants some alk hungry coral to solve the problem, but prudence has won out so far.

I change weekly (ish). It didn't get changed when I was gone. But outside that weekly.
Here's the picture as of 30 minutes ago.
IMG_20220714_171734563.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back