The Mediocreef

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
12 alk is really more for growing sps quickly. Lps like alk between 7.5 and 9.

I would go with a newer salt with lower alk. Sadly, vinegar dosing will lower alk temporarily. Rhandy has covered that topic before.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you changing your water? Sorry, I didn't even get a notice for this.

Also, from a post I read a while ago, some people mix the red sea salt with the pro. Just to get the right alk levels. It was one of our vendors on here.
207077-red-sea-salt-175-gal-bucket-b_1_1.jpg
The normal bucket is a tad low. But, fully acceptable for reef needs.
Got a blue bucket coming from brs. My lfs didn't have it, just coral pro. Should be on my doorstep when I get back home from a wedding in Texas on Monday. It's coming with coral pellets too. Hoping to give them a try.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a favia that's going down too. The chalice was only $5, which would make it the cheapest I've killed. This is just the first one I couldn't figure out after a Google or common sense.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus of today's post will be this chill homey.
IMG_20220720_205847135.jpg

And why there is no PE. I have already been diagnosed with high alk, thanks @Mibu. So that could be it. It could be something else. Among my ideas are, nothing, just napping every time I look at it. This could be the case as I spend a lot of time away from my tank. Option 2 could be my hawk fish. He likes to perch very close to the hammer and I have seen it knocked off the rock too.
An aside, why does no one warn new reefers about the volume of super glue we go through! Is it hazing? Which company should I add to my stock portfolio with as much c/a glue as I buy. I mean the stuff is gone as soon as it enters the house!
Back to the hammer, there is no tissue recession that I can see and not too many major swings in Params since I've had it. The PE has ebbed and flowed since being in the tank. But usually only a day or two each way. This has been a week.

Thanks for listening.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, new salt came today, Red Sea blue bucket. So when I get back from this wedding I have Saturday, I will start getting that all down.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The focus of today's post will be this chill homey.
IMG_20220720_205847135.jpg

And why there is no PE. I have already been diagnosed with high alk, thanks @Mibu. So that could be it. It could be something else. Among my ideas are, nothing, just napping every time I look at it. This could be the case as I spend a lot of time away from my tank. Option 2 could be my hawk fish. He likes to perch very close to the hammer and I have seen it knocked off the rock too.
An aside, why does no one warn new reefers about the volume of super glue we go through! Is it hazing? Which company should I add to my stock portfolio with as much c/a glue as I buy. I mean the stuff is gone as soon as it enters the house!
Back to the hammer, there is no tissue recession that I can see and not too many major swings in Params since I've had it. The PE has ebbed and flowed since being in the tank. But usually only a day or two each way. This has been a week.

Thanks for listening.
FTS so we can see where in the tank it is at?

CRath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalice like low flow and med-low light. It looks like its at the top of your rockwork and in the middle of the tank. try finding a lower flow area and it may decide to be happy again. mine sit in the back recesses of my tank where they can have that low flow area.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Offer the hawk some more perches if you can. They are kind of like birds or prey. They perch in high places in hopes to find food.

10 alk also killed my first hammer coral. I would do about a 10% water change. Test next day, rinse and repeat as needed. I am not sure how I feel about dropping alk fast. I never had to do that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offer the hawk some more perches if you can. They are kind of like birds or prey. They perch in high places in hopes to find food.

10 alk also killed my first hammer coral. I would do about a 10% water change. Test next day, rinse and repeat as needed. I am not sure how I feel about dropping alk fast. I never had to do that.
Should be no issue to drop alk 1-1.5 per day between small water changes and natural consumption. Trick is to go slow about it. Do not want to do the alk drop all at once if you can help it.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_20220612_181509729_HDR.jpg

@Eagle_Steve this is an older pic but it hasn't moved. Top if the rock on the left behind the glare.

@CRath the chalice has moved back to the sand bed to what amounts to behind the rocks on the left. The new post is the hammer on the rock.
If the rock scape still looks like that, does the hawk fish live mostly on the left side? Looks like a nice territory. Also, hawk shouldn't bother the coral too much. This will be a combined issue of alk and fish irritation. I don't think the light should be an issue.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Funny thing is the hammer in the other tank, the 15 gallon with the clowns is doing great. Same alk reading, phos that parties with snoop dog...

I do want more perches. Maybe that will keep him off the urchin too. My scape needs work, but for a first tank it's serviceable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back