OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock scape still looks like that, does the hawk fish live mostly on the left side? Looks like a nice territory. Also, hawk shouldn't bother the coral too much. This will be a combined issue of alk and fish irritation. I don't think the light should be an issue.
He'll also chill on the right under the chalice that looks significantly worse now than when I took this picture.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220612_181509729_HDR.jpg

@Eagle_Steve this is an older pic but it hasn't moved. Top if the rock on the left behind the glare.

@CRath the chalice has moved back to the sand bed to what amounts to behind the rocks on the left. The new post is the hammer on the rock.
My thoughts.

It looks like the hammer may be getting a little too much flow from the PH. Not direct, but from the pic it looks like part of the flow (think of it as coming out in a cone from the PH) may be bouncing up off the rock and hitting the hammer. Add this to the "cone" of flow coming out of the PH and it could just be too much.

Of course, the pic is angled, so I could be way off here lol.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no issue to drop alk 1-1.5 per day between small water changes and natural consumption. Trick is to go slow about it. Do not want to do the alk drop all at once if you can help it.
Might do 10% every other day just for my own sanity. Ro filter is slow so that's about what I have ethe patience to collect. I can do 30% on the 15, but that seems like a lot and the coral I'm worried about are in the 40.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might do 10% every other day just for my own sanity. Ro filter is slow so that's about what I have ethe patience to collect. I can do 30% on the 15, but that seems like a lot and the coral I'm worried about are in the 40.
If you are not accumulating too many nutrients in the 15, you may just be able to let it drop by consumption. Only way to tell that is to take 3 days and test alk at the same time each day. Then figure the average alk drop. If it drops at a nice rate, go that route until the alk matches the new SW you make and then you can do small WC to get nutrients back in check or replenish traces.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts.

It looks like the hammer may be getting a little too much flow from the PH. Not direct, but from the pic it looks like part of the flow (think of it as coming out in a cone from the PH) may be bouncing up off the rock and hitting the hammer. Add this to the "cone" of flow coming out of the PH and it could just be too much.

Not way off. Here's from the front as of today.
My thoughts.

received_1599049247136124.jpeg

Here's your front view. I could move the power head some. Still not convinced I have them in the perfect places.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not accumulating too many nutrients in the 15, you may just be able to let it drop by consumption. Only way to tell that is to take 3 days and test alk at the same time each day. Then figure the average alk drop. If it drops at a nice rate, go that route until the alk matches the new SW you make and then you can do small WC to get nutrients back in check or replenish traces.
I can do that. I have other means of phos control and nitrates are serviceable, 20-30 whenever tested.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not way off. Here's from the front as of today.

Here's your front view. I could move the power head some. Still not convinced I have them in the perfect places.
If it was me, I would try location 1 on the ledge or location 2. Hammers typically light light and gentle random flow. Looking at your tank, those look like good spots.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would try location 1 on the ledge or location 2. Hammers typically light light and gentle random flow. Looking at your tank, those look like good spots.

Thanks. I can try that out too. Location 1 won't be too dark? I really should just get my par tested.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I can try that out too. Location 1 won't be too dark? I really should just get my par tested.
Is it just the single light, or do you still have the seascape on there?

If just the single light in the pic, you can still try location 1. You will just need to watch how much it reaches for light. Hammers in the wild are typically in 80-200 par, so you have a range there. Even in my tanks, I have them all over theplace. The ones in lower light are "puffier", while the ones in higher light are "tighter". Both grow at about the same rate. The corals just increase or decrease their size to compensate. Why hammers/frogspawns are considered easier, outside of they do not mind a little bit dirtier water lol.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just the single light, or do you still have the seascape on there?

If just the single light in the pic, you can still try location 1. You will just need to watch how much it reaches for light. Hammers in the wild are typically in 80-200 par, so you have a range there. Even in my tanks, I have them all over theplace. The ones in lower light are "puffier", while the ones in higher light are "tighter". Both grow at about the same rate. The corals just increase or decrease their size to compensate. Why hammers/frogspawns are considered easier, outside of they do not mind a little bit dirtier water lol.
Just the xr15 in the picture. It does sit under my planted tank, but I would have ea hard time believing the light reaches that far down through trh 75 above it. We're I a betting man I'd wager where it is might be 75, location 1 might be sub 50, 2 probably just over 100. The sbb sale last weekend is making it really hard not buying sps and kicking up the intensity past 30%.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the xr15 in the picture. It does sit under my planted tank, but I would have ea hard time believing the light reaches that far down through trh 75 above it. We're I a betting man I'd wager where it is might be 75, location 1 might be sub 50, 2 probably just over 100. The sbb sale last weekend is making it really hard not buying sps and kicking up the intensity past 30%.
An xr15 over a 40b provides a lot of light if it is turned up, while it will be weaker par on the edges, I see you have a diffusrer so that helps to blend/spread the light. What are you light setting for peak and how long is it? (screen shot of schedule is fine, as I use those lights also lol)

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An xr15 over a 40b provides a lot of light if it is turned up, while it will be weaker par on the edges, I see you have a diffusrer so that helps to blend/spread the light. What are you light setting for peak and how long is it? (screen shot of schedule is fine, as I use those lights also lol)
The app really hates to load. I try to use the ab+ at I think 27%. I shifted the times so it should start around 2 and go dark just after 10. And in my fumbling I think I moves some levels but not too far from original.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app really hates to load. I try to use the ab+ at I think 27%. I shifted the times so it should start around 2 and go dark just after 10. And in my fumbling I think I moves some levels but not too far from original.
That should be about right for what you are keeping. Could possibly go up a little more on the intensity, but I would recommend a par meter be used before doing that.

Little trick, as you appear to have an RFA. RFA laid flat and tents at end of disc laying flat, good par range for sand bed. RFA scrunched up or hides part of the day, then too much par on sand bed. RFA all kinds of stretched out and looks bigger than it should be, not enough par on sand bed.

Not the most accurate approach, but between them and zoas, you can get a good idea of the light in the tank, in regards to too much or too little. Zoas reaching for light, not enough, zoas slammed flat and not all the way open, too much light.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be about right for what you are keeping. Could possibly go up a little more on the intensity, but I would recommend a par meter be used before doing that.

Little trick, as you appear to have an RFA. RFA laid flat and tents at end of disc laying flat, good par range for sand bed. RFA scrunched up or hides part of the day, then too much par on sand bed. RFA all kinds of stretched out and looks bigger than it should be, not enough par on sand bed.

Not the most accurate approach, but between them and zoas, you can get a good idea of the light in the tank, in regards to too much or too little. Zoas reaching for light, not enough, zoas slammed flat and not all the way open, too much light.
Just moved my zoas from the small island in the front corner cuz they were stretching. Have a pally on the smaller peak, other side of the chasm. that's stretching a little since I turned it down from 40%. I like hearing that something is going well with the tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back