The Mediocreef

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Middle one is almost the starship Voyager though.
In person it totally looks like a frog that's missing a front leg.
guilty.gif

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're probably right. Poci is more like a Birdsnest I believe...
I really should write these things down. Here would have been a good place, but had to wait for the new week. Gotta win me a light.

Edit. Cuz I definitely need 2 extra lights.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd just have to decide if I then replace the xr15 over the 40 or try to convince the wife I should start a new tank. I could open up the plant growout for a frag tank...
I won the K7 Pro II two years ago. That's when I started back into saltwater. New tank it is!

trashguy007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40B journey.
A sump makes a whole world of difference. I have a 40B and a 20gal tall as a sump with skimmer and ATO.
I bought all the DIY kit on ebay and hooked them all up (hang on kit, no need to drill hole). I have never used a sump before and was baffled on how it worked. (watched and read a lot)
I did fight with red slime and green hair algae in the early months. I used Dr Tim Eco-balance the small bottle and poured all of it in the sump and slowly all the algae are gone. No coral was harmed, I even have an anemone.

Now the tank is 8m old, no nuisance algae just coral line algae growing. All I have to do now is maintenance and water change. No expensive equipments or testing. I am no expert, but stability is key.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• received_353233203680178.jpeg
    received_353233203680178.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. tank has been stable for some time now. took longer to settle in than my fresh water ever do. sump's not really an option at the moment. I have a planned living room redecorating and that will mean moving tanks, part of the reason I'm putting off the painting et al. Moving tanks will yield a rescape in them, at least the 2 big ones. and maybe room under the 40 for a sump. I'll more than likely stick with the canister till I upgrade the tank though.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Didn't take pictures of the start, but it's pretty easy to figure out what I did to make this frag rack.
IMG_20220807_135632458_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220807_135636623.jpg

Gonna try the glue finish drying then give it a good bath before it goes in the tank.
I made these with feet instead of magnetic. Works great but the prices went up a lot!

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made these with feet instead of magnetic. Works great but the prices went up a lot!
It was left over from my terrarium wall, so good to have a use for it. I thought about feet, but the sand bed is pretty full as it is. Fingers crossed that the magnets hold. I still need to get it cleaned and the sharp corners and points taken down.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty good diy fragrack. I still want to get a floating rock rack, just not sure where I would place it.
Thanks. I need to add another magnet. I fear that the hawk fish will perch there and take it down. Probably one of my first few attempts at diy rock will be a floating rock rack for the back wall between the islands.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back