The Mediocreef

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing the CNC machine there... Gonna make this lazy guy to YouTube and watch a video instead of just downloadfile Sam's STL file and printing it. :grinning-squinting-face:
I saw someone else on thingiverse had a cnc machine. That would be a hard sell to the mrs. after the printer. She's happy about the dog though, so that's nice. Also commented "it's just putting more plastic in the stream" so now I'm looking into recycling methods.
fusion 360 free license till I can pay for it.
Nice. I tried the tinkercad that Tim sent me from the file, but aspects were harder than I wanted, namely centering pieces on each other.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I saw someone else on thingiverse had a cnc machine. That would be a hard sell to the mrs. after the printer. She's happy about the dog though, so that's nice. Also commented "it's just putting more plastic in the stream" so now I'm looking into recycling methods.

Nice. I tried the tinkercad that Tim sent me from the file, but aspects were harder than I wanted, namely centering pieces on each other.
use the align tool!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Use the measuring tool (carpenters square). You have to do math some, but what's CAD without math?

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use the align tool!

Use the measuring tool (carpenters square). You have to do math some, but what's CAD without math?
I'll play around more this week. Soon I will tire of printing others' designs and make my own. I also need to see why my ring design didn't start on the bed. Much learning to do here. As if I didn't have enough with school.

I can math, but it's not my favorite thing. Two engineers in the family though so it's an easy call for design help.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'll play around more this week. Soon I will tire of printing others' designs and make my own. I also need to see why my ring design didn't start on the bed. Much learning to do here. As if I didn't have enough with school.

I can math, but it's not my favorite thing. Two engineers in the family though so it's an easy call for design help.
Good luck! You're a smart cookie so I know you're going to make great things!
Cookie GIF by Leon Denise

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! You're a smart cookie so I know you're going to make great things!
Cookie GIF by Leon Denise
Yeah, just want to play with my new toy, but have more pressing issues, like this bay window I just found...
IMG_20220924_084421743_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220924_084438679_HDR.jpg

Rain is coming from Ian this weekend and I work 30 odd hours starting Thursday morning so it needs doing now.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
First reef related print done while doing homework.
IMG_20220927_202238203_HDR.jpg
awesome! don't bother with the raft. If your prints aren't sticking turn your bed heat up.
though I'm still getting used to not using a glass bed so I may be fulla it.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! don't bother with the raft. If your prints aren't sticking turn your bed heat up.
though I'm still getting used to not using a glass bed so I may be fulla it.
I tried to turn off the raft for this one. It didn't even come unstuck so they both are in the tank. but I need to mess with the design or the printer because my plugs don't fit in this or the rack I printed after this.

I printed a garden plant label and it added a raft, that took more filament than the label did...

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you slice it you can increase the size to 101% or something like that to fit the plugs. Sometimes I need to ream-out holes with a drill.
I might try that, but I found a model that fits 11mm frag plugs. mine are 5/8 inch (16mm). I'd need to grow it 5mm to fit. I'll see what I can break in CAD. Can I resize just part of it? I don't need the base or height to change.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I might try that, but I found a model that fits 11mm frag plugs. mine are 5/8 inch (16mm). I'd need to grow it 5mm to fit. I'll see what I can break in CAD. Can I resize just part of it? I don't need the base or height to change.
Depends. You can ungroup it possibly and then select what you want to increase. Otherwise, if there's enough meat you can add a 16mm (or 16.5mm) hole over the existing 11mm hole.

Edit: doesn't look like enough meat.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. You can ungroup it possibly and then select what you want to increase. Otherwise, if there's enough meat you can add a 16mm (or 16.5mm) hole over the existing 11mm hole.

Edit: doesn't look like enough meat.
Here is the part exactly.
It should be good practice to grow the top ring then try to align the supports to meet the new dimension. If all else fails, I can stretch the design along x and y till I have the size I need.

Back