40b stocking suggestions

Mbross325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this will be my first post here on reef2reef. For a month or so I’ve been doing research on what I could possibly stock my 40b with and I came up with:

-Yellow watchman goby
-Pair of cleaner shrimps
-Orchid dottyback
-One Black and one orange Occellaris clownfish pair

I have a coralife fixture, not sure which T5 model it is but it’s definitely coralife. I have a spare 10 gal that will be converted into a sump and at the moment no stand for the tank. There is a glass lid and the plastic cutout on the back has been used so I may have to order a new one to keep fish in the tank.

Not sure what combinations I could have, I’m concerned about agression and fish hiding all the time in live rock. Got any fish suggestions? I’m not new to saltwater reefs but this will be the first time I will actually have my own saltwater tank

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you could add 1 or 2 more. One good addition would be a Midas Benny. Another would be a firefish or clown go by.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this will be my first post here on reef2reef. For a month or so I’ve been doing research on what I could possibly stock my 40b with and I came up with:

-Yellow watchman goby
-Pair of cleaner shrimps
-Orchid dottyback
-One Black and one orange Occellaris clownfish pair

I have a coralife fixture, not sure which T5 model it is but it’s definitely coralife. I have a spare 10 gal that will be converted into a sump and at the moment no stand for the tank. There is a glass lid and the plastic cutout on the back has been used so I may have to order a new one to keep fish in the tank.

Not sure what combinations I could have, I’m concerned about agression and fish hiding all the time in live rock. Got any fish suggestions? I’m not new to saltwater reefs but this will be the first time I will actually have my own saltwater tank

The Yellow Watchman Goby will be the most peaceful of the bunch the good news is that being a bottom dweller it will be less likely to be picked on by the others. Definitely add it as your first fish though. I would go with one cleaner shrimp instead of 2. I have one cleaner in my 90 gallon and it is all over the place and very active. Are you doing corals? It is a little bit of a gamble but you could try a Pygmy Angel in there:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+455&pcatid=455

OP
OP
M

Mbross325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Yellow Watchman Goby will be the most peaceful of the bunch the good news is that being a bottom dweller it will be less likely to be picked on by the others. Definitely add it as your first fish though. I would go with one cleaner shrimp instead of 2. I have one cleaner in my 90 gallon and it is all over the place and very active. Are you doing corals? It is a little bit of a gamble but you could try a Pygmy Angel in there:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+2730+455&pcatid=455

Oh hey I know you, you’re on fishlore forum too? Yeah originally I wanted to go with the yellow watchman goby but I’m concerned I won’t see it much without a pistol shrimp and I don’t like the idea of having a potentially dangerous shrimp in my tank. So I’m gonna switch the yellow watchman goby with the Midas blenny, but then I don’t know about the orchid dottyback. It’s best to add the orchid dottyback first before the Midas blenny, right?

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the yellow watch and add the midas. Once the goby gets used to its surrounding it will be out more. Also, pistols get a bad rep. The only thing that my tiger pistol has killed is 1 hermit. You can also go with a randals pistol shrimp. They stay smaller and would be considered less of a threat. As far as the dottyback goes, it should be added before the clown pair. It is one of the more peaceful dottybacks, but they can be territorial.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh hey I know you, you’re on fishlore forum too? Yeah originally I wanted to go with the yellow watchman goby but I’m concerned I won’t see it much without a pistol shrimp and I don’t like the idea of having a potentially dangerous shrimp in my tank. So I’m gonna switch the yellow watchman goby with the Midas blenny, but then I don’t know about the orchid dottyback. It’s best to add the orchid dottyback first before the Midas blenny, right?

Orchid should be one of the last.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back