First mangrove.
bb2987cc9f64b84139113ce4f1eee943.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon this. How’s the tank now? Interested in seeing pics. Never seen an all mantis tank before.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in Thailand we saw Mantis shrimp live for sale as food exceeding 12". At that size I would worry about them breaking the glass on a standard 40 breeder lol!

Love Mantis and crabs of all types and that is the bonus you get with great fresh live rock!

OP
OP
Jaysin13

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the questions here... Sorry for the lack of response. I have changed the lights and my first mantis died during the second molt... I feel I am to blame as the tank was not mature. I am still searching for a new male but the tank is very stable and mature now. I have abandoned the mangroves and macro for now. There is no algae problem because the current bioload is small and lights are very weak on purpose. I hope to find a new little guy soon.
279a30b30da187bde882eaef90276057.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the Mantis...perhaps she died due to boredom since she had no other combatants to spar with lol! They are some if the toughest critters I have ever seen often surviving raw sewage conditions in a seeding tank. The smell from the vats would drop a buzzard off a carcass at twenty paces lol!:eek:

OP
OP
Jaysin13

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the Mantis...perhaps she died due to boredom since she had no other combatants to spar with lol! They are some if the toughest critters I have ever seen often surviving raw sewage conditions in a seeding tank. The smell from the vats would drop a buzzard off a carcass at twenty paces lol!:eek:
Yeah, they tend to be done in with a bad molt sometimes. I think that's what got her. My nitrates and phosphates where a bit out of control and she closed up shop to molt. Never came out. I feel the tank is much more ready now.... The lfs that would have one just hasn't. I'm guessing it's probably a seasonal thing. Maybe spring/summer.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they tend to be done in with a bad molt sometimes. I think that's what got her. My nitrates and phosphates where a bit out of control and she closed up shop to molt. Never came out. I feel the tank is much more ready now.... The lfs that would have one just hasn't. I'm guessing it's probably a seasonal thing. Maybe spring/summer.

Try adding a piece of real live rock from Florida to get your tank more seasoned in terms of biological diversity before you find another shrimp. You might even get a free hitchiker or two! Don't worry your new Mantis can handle any new commers!

OP
OP
Jaysin13

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding a piece of real live rock from Florida to get your tank more seasoned in terms of biological diversity before you find another shrimp. You might even get a free hitchiker or two! Don't worry your new Mantis can handle any new commers!
I may do that... I'm pretty confident that it will go differently the second time. Far more mature now.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I look forward to seeing your next shrimp.
I was at the monterey bay aquarium and they had a display with soft coral and a big mantis. It was awesome. Keeping the lights low makes sense without coral. Have you had any ideas of what to do if you get something like green hair algae? With low lights and low nutrients that might not come up, just thinking if you were to add some plants or coral that needed brighter light...

OP
OP
Jaysin13

Jaysin13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I look forward to seeing your next shrimp.
I was at the monterey bay aquarium and they had a display with soft coral and a big mantis. It was awesome. Keeping the lights low makes sense without coral. Have you had any ideas of what to do if you get something like green hair algae? With low lights and low nutrients that might not come up, just thinking if you were to add some plants or coral that needed brighter light...
Idk. Tons of crabs and snails in there now but we'll see how long they last. I'd probably just use water changes to handle it. No biggie.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While in Thailand we saw Mantis shrimp live for sale as food exceeding 12". At that size I would worry about them breaking the glass on a standard 40 breeder lol!

Love Mantis and crabs of all types and that is the bonus you get with great fresh live rock!
I live in Hong Kong. These are common here. I shared this on a post awhile back. These are under a foot, maybe 6-8” but I’ve seen those 12”+ ones many times. Amazing how big they get.

0483E969-499C-47CA-BEE7-BDABA0EB1766.jpeg

BCA33DEF-B0FB-4998-AB33-8066D6DC8D24.jpeg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Hong Kong. These are common here. I shared this on a post awhile back. These are under a foot, maybe 6-8” but I’ve seen those 12”+ ones many times. Amazing how big they get.

0483E969-499C-47CA-BEE7-BDABA0EB1766.jpeg

BCA33DEF-B0FB-4998-AB33-8066D6DC8D24.jpeg

The ones I saw in Thailand were Peacock Mantis shrimp and very colorful. I am sure it made a great looking dish for someone...I would not eat it since I am going Vegan for health reasons! Plus who wants to spar with your meal for a meal?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I saw in Thailand were Peacock Mantis shrimp and very colorful. I am sure it made a great looking dish for someone...I would not eat it since I am going Vegan for health reasons! Plus who wants to spar with your meal for a meal?
I typically don’t buy my own seafood to cook st home. But I swung by the wet market to take a peek. They had some mantis that were well over a foot long. Weren’t peacock but were striped with red/white and red/tan. Beautiful to be honest. But I’d avoid a run in at all costs. ;Dead

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back