OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sil40sx, you can ask a moderator on the Forum Feedback / Help to rename the title to your build thread. That way you can include the words, "Reefer 250" in the thread title so that a thread search for those terms can easily find it.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome mixed reef! I assume that is the Skimz algae reactor MBR127. How are you liking it? How often do you find yourself needing to clean out the macroalgae inside? What nitrate levels does it keep your tank at? I’ve been considering one for my 250 and wanted something I could ignore for 2 weeks while on vacation.

I also notice that you are using filter media cups in place of the socks. What are you running in your cups?

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome mixed reef! I assume that is the Skimz algae reactor MBR127. How are you liking it? How often do you find yourself needing to clean out the macroalgae inside? What nitrate levels does it keep your tank at? I’ve been considering one for my 250 and wanted something I could ignore for 2 weeks while on vacation.

I also notice that you are using filter media cups in place of the socks. What are you running in your cups?

Thank you! Yes, I really like it. Worth every penny. I think that’s the best thing I purchased or did to control algae. Just one week after installing it, my sanbed got cleared of some Dino’s. I trim chaeto 2-3 weeks. Depends how small I leave in there.

I’m using something called poly-fil for my media cups. It comes with a sheet, then I just cut them round. I replace them twice a week.

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspiring! I'm going to use your tank as a role model for mine. ;)

My 250 has a lot of similarities to your tank. I also have an ATI fixture retrofitted with LEDs (except I went through NanoBox). The main difference is that I have a Zeovit reactor in place of your algae reactor. Zeovit keeps my nutrients down, but it hasn't been helping with the health of my corals (SPS in particular). I've been considering what to do if I was to stop my Zeovit, and I think you've convinced me to migrate towards an algae reactor. :)

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and Photos!!!!

Thank you!

Inspiring! I'm going to use your tank as a role model for mine. ;)

My 250 has a lot of similarities to your tank. I also have an ATI fixture retrofitted with LEDs (except I went through NanoBox). The main difference is that I have a Zeovit reactor in place of your algae reactor. Zeovit keeps my nutrients down, but it hasn't been helping with the health of my corals (SPS in particular). I've been considering what to do if I was to stop my Zeovit, and I think you've convinced me to migrate towards an algae reactor. :)

Thanks! That's nice, I wanted a zeovit too, but it's too complicated for me, I'm too old to learn new things. I mean, if I dose, then I just dose everything I can, and dont have to worry about other stuff like media's that's unfamiliar to me. Hehehe

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using and what levels do you keep your Alk, Ca, and Mg? And you thought I was joking when I said I’m copying you.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt mix are you using and what levels do you keep your Alk, Ca, and Mg? And you thought I was joking when I said I’m copying you.

Hahaha - I used to have Fritz, but since Reef Crystal is always available anywhere, that's what I'm using now. I dont do regular water change, only when needed like after using meds/chemicals like chemiclean or something.

I copied and paste my notes:

Temperature – 79-80
Specific Gravity – 1.026
pH – 8.00 - 8.20
Alkalinity – 8.5 - 9.0
Calcium – 400 - 450
Mg – 1350-1400
P04 – 0.03 - 0.05
N03 – 1-3

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! I noticed that you mentioned you are using the Red Sea Trace Color with B-ionic. Since B-ionic has trace elements already, how are you calculating your Red Sea Trace dosing? Are you testing your trace element levels?

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on! I noticed that you mentioned you are using the Red Sea Trace Color with B-ionic. Since B-ionic has trace elements already, how are you calculating your Red Sea Trace dosing? Are you testing your trace element levels?

No I don’t test for those, but since I don’t do regular water changes, I figured whatever trace elements added from the ESV B-ionic two parts are not sufficient enough because they weren’t meant for supplementing trace elements. What I do is just dose half of what’s recomended from the instructions to be on the safe side. (1ml per 10ml of calcium)

For the record, I don’t recommend what I’m doing though. I just don’t see any ill effects that’s why I’m doing it. And I’m lazy. Hahaha Eventually I might stop the trace elements if I will not see big improvement.

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the things we do in this hobby is anecdotal. All I know is that we run the same tank with some similar equipment, and your tank is much more successful than mine. So whatever you are doing it is better than the way I’m doing it.

Plus if it all fails I can just blame you. LoL :)

(thanks for all the tips!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half the things we do in this hobby is anecdotal. All I know is that we run the same tank with some similar equipment, and your tank is much more successful than mine. So whatever you are doing it is better than the way I’m doing it.

Plus if it all fails I can just blame you. LoL :)

(thanks for all the tips!)

Hahaha - You're welcome!
I know right, anecdotal and a little bit of luck.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She finally shared the anemone with him. Hehehe

IMG_3908.jpg

Rpc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Very impressive 250. Following along and I can hopefully have my 250 looking like this one day.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back