OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing setup! I agree with the posters above, we need some more shots of the sump area. I'm about to start a 50g cube and I would love to steal some sump ideas. Also, what's your experience with the yellow tang/copperband/flame angel line up? I was considering having those three, but have read about flame angels being hit-or-miss with reefs and Copperbands being pretty tough to feed.

Thanks!

Nothing really there, it can all be seen here:

9_DD56966_C719_4_D57_9_E5_D_A842_AEAE776_E.jpg

I don't have problems with those 3 fish together, they don't fight at all even in a small tank. My only issue is, both Flame angel and CBB (copperband) likes to pick on my soft corals.

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hours do you run your light in the Skimz algae reactor and what flow setting do you have it at?

I grabbed one during the last BRS group buy which had it as a doorbuster item, and couldn’t resist. :)

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much of the hard line plumbing is stock tha comes with the reefer and how much of it is modified by you?
I am considering a reefer 250 for my first tank

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops sorry, I never got notification for these.

how much of the hard line plumbing is stock tha comes with the reefer and how much of it is modified by you?
I am considering a reefer 250 for my first tank

Not my picture, but basically exact same procedure.

30744505792_789338f33a_o.jpg

How many hours do you run your light in the Skimz algae reactor and what flow setting do you have it at?

I grabbed one during the last BRS group buy which had it as a doorbuster item, and couldn’t resist. :)

IIRC, flow was set in the middle, and 12hours a night , opposite from my main lights.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, please bear with my long post. This is my first official post here,. I've been a lurker for a few months, and its been a great help for me to successfully cycle my tank.

Around December of last year, upon running into some shared links of a friend in Facebook, I saw pictures of very nice looking reef tanks, and it amazed me and imagined it in my living room. -- that's why I made a quick research and readings on how to build one. As soon as I understood some of the basics, I went to craigslist and looked for a small and affordable tank that I can afford.

Long story short, I have a 40g tank with HOB skimmer and a canister filled with carbon and GFO (without sump) running for 4 months now, and would like to upgrade to 90 or maybe 125 tank because my 40g is getting overstocked. I have couple concerns on transferring fish and corals to new tank.

1. Planning on transferring as much water from the old tank and all live rocks. As for the sand, I want to use new dry sand that i will thoroughly rinse. - would this plan still make the new tank to cycle? I hope not, because I don't have a place to keep the fish and corals.

^^^ That's the only thing that's holding me up on upgrading to a bigger tank.

2. I cant seem to completely grasp the overflow concept yet. I'm a little confused, there are Herbie, Beananimal, etc,.. Isn't there a simple way of just using a drain to the sump, then a return pump back to the tank? One thing for sure though, I dont want to use an HOB overflow, another reason I would like to upgrade is because I want the top/back of the tank to look clean, without any sort of HOB stuff.

Any tip on how would I proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pic of my tank last month with 4 x 36 ATI T5's. (replaced them with 2 x Kessil A360WE now)

36048ed7-d001-47a2-a488-7fa5d8520066.jpg
You are my spirit animal.. not even 2 months into my nano and I want an ocean in my house. Looks beautiful

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are my spirit animal.. not even 2 months into my nano and I want an ocean in my house. Looks beautiful

Hahaha - thanks!

Do you have a link on where you bought those grey fittings that you have connected directly onto the Red Sea plumbing? Are those cemented in place?

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html

I got the instructions from Broadfield somewhere in this thread:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind. What was the total investment in this build minus livestock? PM if that’s ok? Im eye balling a few options. Red Sea. Elos. Etc. 6months is my time frame.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind. What was the total investment in this build minus livestock? PM if that’s ok? Im eye balling a few options. Red Sea. Elos. Etc. 6months is my time frame.

I honestly don't remember. I changed lights multiple times, skimmer, return pumps, reactors, uv, apex wifi, upgrade/downgrades, etc.

But my basic current equipment's are as follows, with rough estimate I've spent on them: (mostly used)

RSR250 tank with sump - $600
2 x Radion XR30G4 pro's - $1600
NYOS 120 - $200
MP10QD - $100
MP40WQD - $250
Dosing pump - $100
Apex Classic - $250
Custom plumbing - $150
Miscellaneous items - $???

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank with sump is a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Thanks

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I wasn’t even ready at that time to upgrade when I got it, but couldn’t pass up a good deal. I actually just paid $400 because the guy took my IM Lagoon 25 for $200 as a trade.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an iPad mini you have there in sump area?

Thanks. No, just a cheapo android tablet.

Wow! Great use of limited space! Hope the top didnt suffer too badly with whatever happened last month.

Thanks. Most SPS turned pale, pink lemonade colony bleached and died, Pink Floyd is dead as well.

Corals are starting to recover now. Initially I did 50% WC when I got back, then Daily 10% for 2 weeks, then weekly after.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back