40g to 180g tank upgrade

NutNutCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!
I recently purchased a 180g tank with a 75g sump and I’m feeling quite overwhelmed. I currently have a 40g breeder with a tidal 75 HOB filter that’s been up and running for 16 months. I am going to build up this 180g slowly and wanted your opinions on what’s an affordable way to purchase dry rock, powerhead suggestions, and protein skimmer suggestions. I’ve been browsing through fb marketplace as well as R2R marketplace for parts, but I feel like I don’t know enough and there isn’t enough information online regarding such a large tank. My dream would be able to have multiple tangs in this tank if that provides any help. All guidance and opinion are welcome and appreciated.

tank dimensions 72x24x24
A5082660-EDCE-4749-80AB-2DC067D6C8FD.jpeg

mortimersnerd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have seeded live rock now, I'd get dry rock and let the old stuff seed it. For flow, I'd start with a pair of XF 350 gyres. They move a crazy amount of water for their size and should be a good starting point for a tank that length. You may want to think about the corals you plan to keep, though, and plan around that. Nearly all modern skimmers do a good job, so selection is a matter of budget. I really like Reef Octopus' offerings, but have also been happy with the Craigslist eshoppes on my current tank. Hope this helps and have fun! A 180 is a great size.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much the same setup but 5” taller so a 210. You want as much flow as possible to keep algae from catching a foot hold. On my tank I have 2x jebao mow22s and 2x mp40s on back wall 2x jebao mdp5000 return pumps. I really like the price tag of jebao and would not ever do mp40s again. Sicce is good as well their 10s would be great as well. With Jebao you would have all your flow for under 700$. 2x mp40s and you’re over that and it won’t be enough. As for rock it’s personal preference but to get the best deals go on Craigslist looking for tank sales and ask to just buy the rock. Most of the time it will be full of algae and aptasia so it’s work but way cheaper. Don’t know how much you need until you actually design your structure. I have around 180# in my 210.
BCF3BECF-B30B-4F35-BF81-78B29057AA66.jpeg
For reference that’s what 180#s looks like stacked on edges so there is gaps and caves throughout.

Back