40gal Breeder Fiji Cube AIO (first tank)

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank. I had to notch out the lip of the rim with a dremal tool.... Got the AIO insert siliconed in place.... Then had a change of heart
20190113_112748.jpg

(Lol my little "helper")

I immediately (after glued) decided this was a stupid way to have the insert.

Notched out the other side and glued it again. Much better.
20190113_123412.jpg

My next task is to paint the back black. My problem is now that ive cut off the lip on part of the back wall... Putting a lid on it will be difficult, it has to hold the weight of a 14lb cat and the AIO insert sticks up past the top of the tank a bit. So putting a lid across that isnt going to work... Anyway, hopefully i will have more progress next week

20190113_123420.jpg

rembringz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What 40Gallon breeder are you using? The AIO box should not be sticking out of the tank. It fits nicely under the lip.

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What 40Gallon breeder are you using? The AIO box should not be sticking out of the tank. It fits nicely under the lip.

Aquatic America, its a local company (michigan). The insert is a gen 1 fiji cube AIO. Its annoying that it sticks up over the lip but there isnt anything i can do about it aside from shaving the insert down, which seems like a bad idea since that gets rid of the emergency outlet for the media caddy compartment :/

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a preliminary test of the return pump. Since the AIO insert sits a bit above the tank top im going to have to modify the teeth on this thing.... The pump chamber quickly gets drained and water isnt flowing in fast enough. I didnt want to do this but I have to work with what I've got.

20190115_211006.jpg

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you place a valve on the output of the pump to reduce it's flow to the point the overflow can deal with it?

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you place a valve on the output of the pump to reduce it's flow to the point the overflow can deal with it?

That could work, I tried turning the pump all the way down too. The other issue is that the water level is a bit too high I think. Even then it just barely gets to the aio teeth. It makes me a little nervous with such a small margin of error. I didn't realize it was happening the first time, the pump clearing out its chamber just about over filled the tank.

I also have to figure out where Im going to put an ATO or find one that isnt magnetic since the insert leaves a bit of a gap between it and the glass on all sides.

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience has payed off! Found a wave maker and light for a good deal on here and a local reefer let me fill a tote up with dry rock and a couple of tonga branches.

Waiting on my DC return pump to come in. Then all thats left to get is an ATO.

20190817_120436.jpg
20190817_121211.jpg

Grape_City_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have followed a forum prior to setting up my 40B, love the after market sump install. Either way I am making mine work.

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have followed a forum prior to setting up my 40B, love the after market sump install. Either way I am making mine work.
My AIO insert is a little janky. It doesnt sit flush with the side of the tank. I will have to be vigilant about clearing out behind it when i do water changes. Not sure how im going to do it since its glued in lol.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My AIO insert is a little janky. It doesnt sit flush with the side of the tank. I will have to be vigilant about clearing out behind it when i do water changes. Not sure how im going to do it since its glued in lol.
I heard that's the case if you do it peninsula style. Did you check how flush it would be if it was in the middle of the tank?

Any trouble getting the media caddy out? I heard that was an issue (though maybe not with your style tank).

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that's the case if you do it peninsula style. Did you check how flush it would be if it was in the middle of the tank?

Any trouble getting the media caddy out? I heard that was an issue (though maybe not with your style tank).
The insert its self isn't quite the right dimensions. Its a little too tall. My tank is made by a local place and the dimensions must not be exactly the same as a big name brand.

If i put it directly in the middle i would have had to cut my brace off and still wouldn't fit flush to the side of the tank. The rim would have to be ripped off for it to do so.

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally finished cycling and i got my first two fish!

20191019_121900.jpg

20191019_130033.jpg

Anyone have experience with reef breeder RP-M pumps? My controller has stopped working. The only thing it lets me do is turn the light mode on and off.

OP
OP
Bluejillo

Bluejillo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first corals. My purple frogspawn is starting to split already. Its started the ugly phase. Im going to start assembling a CUC soon. Id like a tuxedo urchin but im afraid of my tank being too new for it.

20191028_184028.jpg

20191028_180326.jpg

20191028_180243.jpg

20191028_180259.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back