40gal Breeder guidance/suggestions

Vinny951

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this hobby and have always wanted to start. I purchased a 40 gallon breeder tank (PetCo special, bash away lol) and have started to purchase other equipment. My end goal is to have a nice array of corals and start with a set of clowns. I will be doing a fishless cycle using Dr.Tims. Here is what I've obtained:

*40 Gallon Breeder tank*
*Metal stand, no cabinets/doors*
*Fluval 307 canister filter* (thinking of changing)
*CaribSea Life Rock*
*Dr.Tims One and Only and ammonia*
*Heater and Therm*

I will be using salt water from a local shop and getting CaribSea live sand. As stated above, I am leaning towards returning the Fluval canister filter and instead getting the Fiji Cube AIO 40 breeder all in one box. I like the clean look without having pipes hanging from the Fluval. What are your thoughts and comments? Any suggestions on the pump? Fiji recommends a pump rate of 320gph and connections of 16mm.

AS

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Your pump rate should be 10X tank turnover per hour. Some people go slower depending on your corals types. Have you looked into the skip cycle method? I highly recommend making yourself a nice sump too. You can check out the one I made on my build thread. It's a nice place to put all your heaters and filters etc. Having macroalgae and a refugium for pods is a great thing as well. They can be really easy to set up.

Do you have a battery backup plan in place?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • NO

Votes: 51 60.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 5.9%