410 gal SPS tank build in SW Florida

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, on purpose I didn't check this thread out since Oct last year.
I knew if I would comeback after 4 months it was going to knock my socks off................................. well it did!

Awesome progress and super nice pics.
What I noticed is and it's not a bad thing..........no names with your SPS, LOL.
You do like me or I do like you, HAHA, sometimes I don't remember the names and don't even take the time to look it up.
I have each name written down from who I bought it, and when, and for how much.
I missed the deal on the fine sand...........what you ending up doing?
And are you using the crème de la crème SPS Acropower all ready?
That stuff is amazing.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I gotta say, Wow! Like everyone else. Lol second you are a lucky guynto have a wife that allowed you to build a dream system in your new home. If you don't mind me asking what was your budget on the build cost of the system components and equipment? (Not including livestock) I'm guessing your around 20k .. not asking tto be personal just curious.. I live in nj and have a 92g corner reef running and had a 220g wall reef prior and my monthly bill. For that system was 150-200$ just for that. So your doing something right if that whole room only costs you 150$ on impressed. Lol bit i wwas alao running 4-400w halides over mine that dimmed. Way too expensive. Love the LED systems now.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Awesome dream build and great photography! Looking forward to following along as your tank matures...

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome thread. Gotta chech you out next time i go to busch gardens :p

Sure, anytime you are over this way just let me know.

Steve, on purpose I didn't check this thread out since Oct last year.
I knew if I would comeback after 4 months it was going to knock my socks off................................. well it did!

Awesome progress and super nice pics.
What I noticed is and it's not a bad thing..........no names with your SPS, LOL.
You do like me or I do like you, HAHA, sometimes I don't remember the names and don't even take the time to look it up.
I have each name written down from who I bought it, and when, and for how much.
I missed the deal on the fine sand...........what you ending up doing?
And are you using the crème de la crème SPS Acropower all ready?
That stuff is amazing.

I must admit that I am pretty bad about SPS names and keeping track of them. I can't even remember where I got most of them. I do have a few of them written down but now I can't where where... LOL

I took all of the fine sand out and replaced it. (What a pain that was) The new sand still gets blown around a little but it is heavy enough that it doesn't float around in the water column like the fine stuff did.

I just started using Just this past week I started dosing SPS Max every other night. We'll see how it works. I may try the SPS Acropower next if it's that good.

Thanks for the kind words. This thing is still a work in progress. I just ordered a 24x24x12 frag tank that I plan to plumb into the system next week. Stay tuned...

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I gotta say, Wow! Like everyone else. Lol second you are a lucky guynto have a wife that allowed you to build a dream system in your new home. If you don't mind me asking what was your budget on the build cost of the system components and equipment? (Not including livestock) I'm guessing your around 20k .. not asking tto be personal just curious.. I live in nj and have a 92g corner reef running and had a 220g wall reef prior and my monthly bill. For that system was 150-200$ just for that. So your doing something right if that whole room only costs you 150$ on impressed. Lol bit i wwas alao running 4-400w halides over mine that dimmed. Way too expensive. Love the LED systems now.

I must say that I do have a wonderful wife who is very supportive of my "habit". LOL. At one point before we started building the house I had considered not doing the tank due to the cost. She was the one that insisted I go thru with it. I am a very lucky man. :bigsmile:

I do not even like to think about the cost for the entire project. When you consider the fish and corals it makes my head hurt. But I still love it!

Wow! Awesome dream build and great photography! Looking forward to following along as your tank matures...

Thank you!!

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Steve,
can you send me a pm on your lighting elevator, I'm setting up a 500g display and that looks like a great idea

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Steve,
can you send me a pm on your lighting elevator, I'm setting up a 500g display and that looks like a great idea

I tried to PM you but it said I wasn't allowed.....

Bill,

I bought my actuators from this place, Linear Actuator Linear Actuators I had to call them because I had to get extra parts so that I could wire them together to make them both work as one unit off of the remote. I believe they have a kit now that makes it much easier. I also had to get brackets to attach the light rack to the actuators. The hardest part was building the wall mounts for them and getting them the exact distance apart so everything fit together.

Last edited:

Salty Dog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx Steve, I truly love your tank and build . your doing a great job and your right, if you add the money its overwhelming but its the love for the hobby. You can check out my build in the DIY section under 500g closed loop.

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just walked in from going to the gym and found my little cleaner goby going to town on my sailfin. Only had a sec to grab my camera and click a few pics before they stopped.

sailfin_goby1.jpg

sailfin_goby2.jpg

sailfin_goby3.jpg

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build. I Love the dimensions and the fact that you have everything automated. I hope and pray to someday be as blessed at being able to do something even half the size. God bless and enjoy in great health.

Acroholics

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this whole thread, amazing. Totally blew me away! Good to see a local Floridian doing so well!

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, anytime you are over this way just let me know.

I must admit that I am pretty bad about SPS names and keeping track of them. I can't even remember where I got most of them. I do have a few of them written down but now I can't where where... LOL

I took all of the fine sand out and replaced it. (What a pain that was) The new sand still gets blown around a little but it is heavy enough that it doesn't float around in the water column like the fine stuff did.

I just started using Just this past week I started dosing SPS Max every other night. We'll see how it works. I may try the SPS Acropower next if it's that good.

Thanks for the kind words. This thing is still a work in progress. I just ordered a 24x24x12 frag tank that I plan to plumb into the system next week. Stay tuned...

When dosing the SPS Max, are you following the instruction? And how do you dose it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back