410 gal SPS tank build in SW Florida

Giaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow is the only word I could say for this great work. It's amazing and inspirational work. Just can't wait to see it growing.

LVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is going to be an amazing tank. Excited to follow along on this one.

scott9119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten your first electricity bill yet? If you don't mind me asking how much it was?

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to see your on-going thoughts of the Genesis. Great looking fish too! Are you getting a nice barrel roll from the MP-40's? I haven't noticed the MP-60 - is it on the right end?

Yes, the MP60 is on the right side of the tank as you look at. There is a lot of flow in the tnak. So much so that I always have fine particles of sand floating around.

Nice build! The tank on the pallet would have freaked me out!

Believe me, I was freaking out!

Have you gotten your first electricity bill yet? If you don't mind me asking how much it was?

Yes, we even had the power company come out to do a house survey so I knew how much the tank was costing me. Right now since we are in the middle of summer and the room has it's own AC unit it is running about $125-$150 a month just for the tank room.

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more pics of some of the fish.

_SGM2687.jpg

_SGM2726.jpg

_SGM2705.jpg

_SGM2728.jpg

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some of the corals that are currently in the tank. I lost a few of the original colonies but everything else is doing great. Have gotten some pretty good growth going on several of the corals. I have been messing with my Radions trying to get the right combination of color and growth but it is still a work in progress.

_SGM1445.jpg

_SGM1447.jpg

_SGM1459.jpg

_SGM1464.jpg

_SGM1473.jpg

_SGM1474.jpg

_SGM1478.jpg

_SGM1479.jpg

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! I love the aquascape, the house looks wonderful as well!

I have always wanted to auto lower and raise my lights, i've looked into actuators but my biggest problem was attaching them to the rack, could you get some more detailed pictures of this?

Thank you and keep it up!!

Here are some pics of the light rack and actuators to raise and lower it.

_SGM1992.jpg

_SGM2007.jpg

_SGM2011.jpg

_SGM2013.jpg

Usatennisfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!! B-E-A-UTIFUL BUILD!!!
I'm assuming the two tanks on the stand above the sump are for QT. What size are they?

JP-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like an insane build! Keep us posted with pics of what you got going in the sump and of course keep us posted on some pics of those corals!

MHG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite builds... This is my lotto dream tank...

Is that reefsafe duct tape? Just messing with ya.....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice update photos!

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, I really enjoyed your thread today. I actually opened up the page in my browser a few days ago, and didn't close it until I had time to go through it all. The overflow box appears to be sealed, and water pours through the teeth (tank side) into the 5 large holes (back side), correct? So there is no way to get into that box if there is a need?

How are you managing the room's temperature? And did you install a vent fan?

Thanks for sharing your system with us. I love your fish selection, beautiful choices.

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, I really enjoyed your thread today. I actually opened up the page in my browser a few days ago, and didn't close it until I had time to go through it all. The overflow box appears to be sealed, and water pours through the teeth (tank side) into the 5 large holes (back side), correct? So there is no way to get into that box if there is a need?

How are you managing the room's temperature? And did you install a vent fan?

Thanks for sharing your system with us. I love your fish selection, beautiful choices.

First off, thank you.

The overflow actually has a lid to it so I do have access to it. It does have 5 large holes in the glass and the teeth on the inside of the tank is actually an acrylic panel with the teeth notched into it. The overflow is two 2" drains and does not require any type of stand pipe. The water flows easily down the drains and the teeth in the acrylic makes it virtually impossible for anything to get through that was cause a blockage in the drains.

I do have a ceiling vent to help draw out moisture but it wasn't enough. Originally the room had an AC vent and return in the ceiling along with the exhaust vent. I also had a ceiling fan installed in the room to help with heat. I noticed that in the cooler months when I first installed it that the chiller would occasionally kick on because the tank was getting a little warm. As the outside temps started to go up and we turned on the AC it had no effect on keeping the room and tank cool. When the chiller would kick on it would quickly lower the tank temp but the room temp would go up by 10 degrees.

I really underestimated the heat build up in the room. I had to install a separate AC unit in the room. I got one of those Mitsubishi wall units and since installing it the room and tank stay at a constant temp. It was expensive but has been well worth the money. It not only cools the room but draws out moisture as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back