440 Gallon Display - RFG Nozzles provide ALL the flow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just released the latest flow upgrade video. This time it's is a 440 gallon coral display tank in the show room of a local fish store here in Phoenix Arizona - Limited Edition Corals

This Flow Upgrade is important to us, since it's the first time we have had an opportunity to show that all the flow needs of a large tank can be met by a series of RFG nozzle.

The dimensions of the tank are 120" x 48" x 18", and use to use 2 x MP60s and a Gyre for flow. They removed all the flow pumps from their display tank and replaced them with 6 Random Flow Generator Nozzles, driven by two Vectra L1 pumps. (3 RFGs per pump)

The RFG Nozzles provide all the flow throughout the tank and creates movement in every corner with zones for high pulsing flow to gentile swaying motion. There's even flow behind the nozzles which allow them reclaim some real estate that use to be unusable for coral frags due to the nature of the MP60s. Plus - with the RFG nozzles providing all the flow, that means there are no moving parts in the display tank.

Check out this short video - it may, "change the way you think about generating flow" in your aquariums ;-)

IMG_1741-300.jpg Learn more about the Random Flow Generator Nozzle at:
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/

Last edited:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys using these on closed loops much? Do they produce much/any back pressure? I could imagine 6-8 of the buried in rock work, with several variable speed pumps ramping up and down. Talk about random flow that would kick the pants off any powerhead out there. Really clean installation also...

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the required flow data is on their site. I have one in my Reefer Nano as the sole source of flow. It really opened up aquascaping opportunities in my small tank when I pulled out the nanostreams.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys using these on closed loops much?...

We are starting to see more and more people use them on closed loops - such as the tank in video above. They work great for that.

...Do they produce much/any back pressure? I could imagine 6-8 of the buried in rock work, with several variable speed pumps ramping up and down. Talk about random flow that would kick the pants off any powerhead out there. Really clean installation also...

They do produce back pressure as any educator/accellerator style nozzle does. Our calculations show anywhere from 5% at the low end of the our suggested Minimum Flow to as much as 20% when you go above our "Suggested Optimal flow" rates for a particular nozzle. you can find the flow rates from our website at:
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/water-movement/

However, despite back pressure, we have had great success with the RFG nozzle on regular (non- pressure rated) pumps. This is mostly do the fact that although the share some similarities to standard educators and accelerators, they are design for a different purpose. Here' a quick video that explains the difference

Random Flow Generator Nozzle VS Accelerator Nozzle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do you have a recommended min/max flow per head?

Penductors are back!

You can also find the flow info here on Reef2Reef. We have a series of posts that show a video of the 3/4in and the 1in nozzle at their min and optimal flow rats along with other info that you may find helpful. Hope to have the 1/2in RFG nozzle thread up soon.

1in Random Flow Generator Nozzle
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-flow-generator-1in-rfg100-q-a.358322/

3/4in Random Flow Generator Nozzle
This thread has a video that shows the 3/4in and the 1/2in at the same GPH for comparison
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-flow-generator-3-4in-rfg075-q-a.355969/

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is really cool!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool!
Not sure about the feasibility, but if you could design one specifically tailored to the Maxijet 1200, you'd make my wallet a little lighter.;)
We have been experimenting with this. We have a prototype of an adapter that converts the end of the MaxiJet to be compatible with either Loc-line or the RFG Nozzle. The only issue is with the nozzle that close to the output of the pump, the turbulence coming from the pump can interfere with the function of the nozzle. A better solution is to add a few sections of loc-line between the pump and the nozzle. Once we get it perfected, we'll post that up on our sit as well.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of those and couldn’t get them to snap on my loclines. They ended up cracking. I was really looking forward to using them too.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of those and couldn’t get them to snap on my loclines. They ended up cracking. I was really looking forward to using them too.
Contact us, or PM us here on R2R - we'll get you fixed up. It's likely you don't have genuine loc-line (a common issue), and we may have an adapter that will allow you to attach our RFG nozzles to the type of modular hose you have.

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5ft tank with the return nozzles in the upper corners of the back glass. The way the overflow is designed / installed the running water level is about 1 1/2" above the bulkhead. I have to arch the locline up out of the water then point the outlets back down so that they're slightly under water at running level. This is to avoid draining too much water into the sump when the return pump is off. If I installed these and positioned them the same way do you think it would cause too much surface agitation and splashing? I would love to be able to put 4 of these in the tank and see if I could do away with the powerheads.
IMG_20180412_124126827_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 5ft tank with the return nozzles in the upper corners of the back glass. The way the overflow is designed / installed the running water level is about 1 1/2" above the bulkhead. I have to arch the locline up out of the water then point the outlets back down so that they're slightly under water at running level. This is to avoid draining too much water into the sump when the return pump is off. If I installed these and positioned them the same way do you think it would cause too much surface agitation and splashing? I would love to be able to put 4 of these in the tank and see if I could do away with the powerheads.
IMG_20180412_124126827_HDR.jpg

For the RFG to work, it does need to be fully submerged. And the more flow you push through it the deeper it would need to be to avoid drawing in air. If you can provide an estimated GPH you plan on providing each nozzle, we should be able to give you an estimated depth you need to have he RFG at.

Also -what are the overall dimension of the tank?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back