440 Gallon Display - RFG Nozzles provide ALL the flow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the RFG to work, it does need to be fully submerged. And the more flow you push through it the deeper it would need to be to avoid drawing in air. If you can provide an estimated GPH you plan on providing each nozzle, we should be able to give you an estimated depth you need to have he RFG at.

Also -what are the overall dimension of the tank?
Not sure on the actual flow. Pump is the Varios 6 which has a max flow of 1720 gph. I've currently got it running at 53%. Tank is 5'long x 2' wide x21' tall.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the actual flow. Pump is the Varios 6 which has a max flow of 1720 gph. I've currently got it running at 53%. Tank is 5'long x 2' wide x21' tall.
Assuming you could crank that pump up and deliver 1,200 - 1,400 GPH to the nozzles, I would go with either 2 x 3/4in RGS or 4 x 1/2in RFG

At that rate, it would put the estimated GPH right in the "Suggested Optimal Flow" range for each size nozzles.

RFG Nozzle - Minimum Suggested GPH | Optimal suggests GPH
Single 3/4in RFG (RFG075) - 180-200 | 420-500
Two 3/4in RFGs (RFG075) - 400-500 | 700-800

Single 1/2in RFG (RFG050 ) - 120-150 | 300-450
Two 1/2in RFGs (RFG050) - 250-400 | 640-670

Single 1in RFG (RFG100) - 320-400 | 720-1000

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out my simple U shaped fan return pipe to locline and 2 of these about 2 months ago when they first arrived on the BRS store. I think they're a great idea, but I know I need to upgrade my return pump to really get the most out of them.

I installed a new DC return pump to replace my Eheim and the difference is very apparent. I was getting random flow before but it seemed to favor one side at the lower flow rate. Now that things swirling around and making waves!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a new DC return pump to replace my Eheim and the difference is very apparent. I was getting random flow before but it seemed to favor one side at the lower flow rate. Now that things swirling around and making waves!

Would love to see a pic of the tank - Video would be even better. :)

If you would, post it in our Random Flow Generator Show-off thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/random-flow-generator-show-off-thread-show-us-your-tank.331758/

8251reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the pleasure of speaking with the owner over the phone after I placed an order for 2 of the 3/4 in RFG’s for my 75g tank ended up talking for about 20 min and he’s truly s great guy! He foxed my order and I ended up taking off thr Y fitting and using one 1/2 in RFG on my tank and the flow is 100x better! If you don’t own one of these you are truly missing out on a great product. Random flow is spectaculat to say the least. Buy one and try it out, you won’t be dissappointed.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone that VCA’s customer service is amazing.

Had the pleasure of speaking with the owner over the phone after I placed an order for 2 of the 3/4 in RFG’s for my 75g tank ended up talking for about 20 min and he’s truly s great guy! He foxed my order and I ended up taking off thr Y fitting and using one 1/2 in RFG on my tank and the flow is 100x better! If you don’t own one of these you are truly missing out on a great product. Random flow is spectaculat to say the least. Buy one and try it out, you won’t be dissappointed.

Thanks you two - the positive feedback is much appreciated.

All of us here at VCA are hobbyist first, so we do everything possible to treat our fellow hobbyists the same way we would want to be treated. We think that starts with customer service. :D

Last edited:

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I’m considering adding these to my 300. Currently I have 2 x1 inch returns over the top.. I’m thinking of putting a Y splitter on each and using 3/4 adaptors into your RFGs. My return pump is vectra L1.

Would this work? Also, how well does it work w medium amount of rockwork? In the video I noted that the tank is very open, allowing unobstructed flow. My concern is that these would not provide flow to areas where rocks are, making for many dead spots.
For flow I have 2x gyre 280s opposite walls of each other. Tank is 96/32/24

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I’m considering adding these to my 300. Currently I have 2 x1 inch returns over the top.. I’m thinking of putting a Y splitter on each and using 3/4 adaptors into your RFGs. My return pump is vectra L1.

Would this work? Also, how well does it work w medium amount of rockwork? In the video I noted that the tank is very open, allowing unobstructed flow. My concern is that these would not provide flow to areas where rocks are, making for many dead spots.
For flow I have 2x gyre 280s opposite walls of each other. Tank is 96/32/24

The Vectra L1 would certainly be capable of driving the four 3/4in RFGs. In the video above, the far end of the tank has 3, 3/4in RFGs driven by a single L1. With he pump cranked up, I think the results would be pretty cool.

Another option would be two, 1in RFGs. At 1,000+ GPH those nozzles can provide flow for the full length of a tank of your size. Check out this flow demo with two 1in RFGs in a 72" long tank. In this test, the two nozzles are sharing a total of 1,100 GPH . However, the 1in RFG can easy handle 1,100 GPH each if you can provide it.

As far as rock work goes and flow, you do have to take it into consideration. Because of the way they nozzles work, by directing the flow in different directions, it can still create movement - even around a lot of rock work. Without seeing your specific setup though, it's hard to know for sure.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about loc lines? does this connect o loc lines?
Yes - we have 1/2in and 3/4in sizes that are designed to connect directly yo genuine loc-line. In fact the nozzle on the far end of the tank in the video are 3/4in RFG nozzles. It's had to see, but they are connected to 3//4in Loc-line

. RFG075_0048.jpg RFG-IMG_0045.jpg

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two of 1/2 in my Lagoon 50 with individual DC pumps the flow is great/natural IMO and sometimes I don't see the need for the MP10.

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great guys...so the L1 pumps are just on straight return or do they run on gyre mode also? Thinking of doing my new 72" x 24" x 36" SPS tank on all RFG returns 3 x 3/4" at each end and possibly a few across the back...going for coast to coast weir.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great guys...so the L1 pumps are just on straight return or do they run on gyre mode also? Thinking of doing my new 72" x 24" x 36" SPS tank on all RFG returns 3 x 3/4" at each end and possibly a few across the back...going for coast to coast weir.
I'm, not sure which mode the pumps where set to, but they where just constant on, so it may have just been the "Return Pump" mode.

Your build sounds very interesting. Would you be running each side of it's own pump? If you ran a few in the middle you could run those off your return lines while the ones on the ends could be setup as closed loops. And, if you don't plan on running a ton of flow through the return lines than consider using the 1/2in for the center nozzles to take up less room.

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.....yep was thinking of 3 no 3/4" each side on a closed loop with L1 pumps providing the flow, may go for a more pressure pump though if the Gyre return or varied flow is not required. Regarding the returns that is a god idea...although I was think of 10 x return so more like 10,000ltrs per hour. The tank will be full SPS so I need to get as much flow as possible. Not sure how much flow your nozzle provide and wether or now 2 no L1's would be enough...my current 4 foot tank runs 2 no gyre 250's and a MP40 on 80% max (programme modes not all flat out) which is great! thanks Miles

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.....yep was thinking of 3 no 3/4" each side on a closed loop with L1 pumps providing the flow, may go for a more pressure pump though if the Gyre return or varied flow is not required. Regarding the returns that is a god idea...although I was think of 10 x return so more like 10,000ltrs per hour. The tank will be full SPS so I need to get as much flow as possible. Not sure how much flow your nozzle provide and wether or now 2 no L1's would be enough...my current 4 foot tank runs 2 no gyre 250's and a MP40 on 80% max (programme modes not all flat out) which is great! thanks Miles

Are you planning on two L1s to drive the 6, 3/4in RFGs? if so that will be more than enough. However, if your planning running 6, 3/4in off of a single pump, it will still work well, but you'll have to run that pump at 100% to get the most benefit, since that would put you at between 400-500 GPH per nozzle.
With that said, it might be more effective to run two 3/4in RFG on each end. At a higher GPH per nozzle, they could easily cover the 24in width with flow.

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi no I would run 2 no L1's to power the 6 no 3/4" RFG's....the return pump I haven't set on...Originally I though another 2 L1's dialled to 5,000 litres each and maybe a few RFG's on the back providing the return flow, of which I was going to be guided on please. Thanks Miles

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi no I would run 2 no L1's to power the 6 no 3/4" RFG's....the return pump I haven't set on...Originally I though another 2 L1's dialled to 5,000 litres each and maybe a few RFG's on the back providing the return flow, of which I was going to be guided on please. Thanks Miles
Sorry the width of flow would be 36 inches by 72 inches long the tank is 24 inches depth of water (sand to surface).

Maybe I am over gunning it...maybe I can use 3 L1's and have one doing the back on return flow?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the width of flow would be 36 inches by 72 inches long the tank is 24 inches depth of water (sand to surface).

Maybe I am over gunning it...maybe I can use 3 L1's and have one doing the back on return flow?
I would think a single L1 should be able to drive the return nozzles. a single L1 can easily provide enough flow to drive 4 (or more) of the 3/4in RFGs

Back