Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any R2R member has read my threads or post you can see my thoughts on my newer jbj 45 gallon AIO. I have everything I have listed in my previous post about tank. So what smaller predatory fish in scorpion family can I house safely in that size?????
Dwarf fuzzy lionfish?, Leaf fish?, yellow spotted scorpionfish?, maybe all three you can checkout my JBJ in my previous post pics. I love scorpionfish!!!!! I want something different because I already have a reef for 3 years. Oh yeah this is a Red Sea theme tank so I know many scorpionfish are found there. Let me know family and God bless!!!!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where you are, but if you are in the US, most of the scorps you will see offered will come from the Indo-Pacific. There are only a couple that I have ever seen that reside in the Red Sea, not to say that they were collected there though as they are usually collected in the Indian Ocean. Scorpaenopsis diabolus, the devil scorp and the mombasa lion; both too big for a 45g. All 3 you mentioned are collected in the Indo-Pacific.

Leaf fish and a yellow spotted would be awesome. I recommend against a fuzzy for 2 reasons; they really do better in a larger tank, a 4' tank; and they really are terrible tank mates for a community predator tank. They are faster and greedy as heck, makes it very difficult to get everyone food. A fu manchu would be a fit better and would fit in better at feeding time. The leaf fish is a floppy, clumsy hunter; efficient but not competing with a faster, greedy fuzzy. If you can find one the carribean scorp(Scorpaenodes caribbaeus) is a cool little fellow. Scorpaena brasiliensis aka barbfish is like a larger version of the caribbean, also very cool.

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure where you are, but if you are in the US, most of the scorps you will see offered will come from the Indo-Pacific. There are only a couple that I have ever seen that reside in the Red Sea, not to say that they were collected there though as they are usually collected in the Indian Ocean. Scorpaenopsis diabolus, the devil scorp and the mombasa lion; both too big for a 45g. All 3 you mentioned are collected in the Indo-Pacific.

Leaf fish and a yellow spotted would be awesome. I recommend against a fuzzy for 2 reasons; they really do better in a larger tank, a 4' tank; and they really are terrible tank mates for a community predator tank. They are faster and greedy as heck, makes it very difficult to get everyone food. A fu manchu would be a fit better and would fit in better at feeding time. The leaf fish is a floppy, clumsy hunter; efficient but not competing with a faster, greedy fuzzy. If you can find one the carribean scorp(Scorpaenodes caribbaeus) is a cool little fellow. Scorpaena brasiliensis aka barbfish is like a larger version of the caribbean, also very cool.

Thanks for reply and info I appreciate that. Yeah I mentioned about the Red Sea because I researched some of the possibilities for my selection and it mentions their distribution range into the Red Sea... but then again some online resources are not that reliable. That is why I said let me reach out to fellow pros. I’m not new to reefing but to scorpionfish yes but I am totally fascinated by their personalities and overall beauty. yes I will do the leaf and yellow spotted and I will try to find one of the other ones you mentioned. Any reputable online distributor you can recommend? I was looking at ibluewater expensive also That Pet place more reasonable....oh yeah live aquaria!!!! So you think I can fit the leaf, yellow spotted and one of the ones you mentioned in the 45 that’s right the fu Manchu. That would be an awesome trio.... I’m in Massachusetts by the way!!!! I did want something to swim around while the bad boys hangout in the bottom that is why I mentioned a fuzzy or dwarf zebra!!!!!just so I can have some action in main water column.... I have been in hobby since I was a kid.... now at my ripe age of almost a half a century LOL. I love reefing more than any other setup I have ever built. Anyways God bless and stay safe my friend!!!! Until next post
P.s. did you happen to see my two tanks I posted in previous thread on my tank equipment and progress... tank we care

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah today I was researching and came across info on the flasher scorpionfish which maxes out around 5 inches look extremely cool and something I want if I can find one. Yes he is nice here is a pic!!!! Also these two guys are nice well the red pink leaf fish awesome and my favorite the flasher

Attachments

• FCCD2428-6F42-479E-BCB2-C7478A0FE961.jpeg
    FCCD2428-6F42-479E-BCB2-C7478A0FE961.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 6B1F606D-FA70-4133-8D6A-44213A50A002.jpeg
    6B1F606D-FA70-4133-8D6A-44213A50A002.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 81
  • DDB1569F-AC03-45D0-AA21-CA9BFA6D9BD5.png
    DDB1569F-AC03-45D0-AA21-CA9BFA6D9BD5.png
    857.1 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is pic of my 45 all cycles and waiting for scorps. I will be adding corals and macroalgae to create a more natural bio tope or habitat will see what scorps i end up with. My apologies for late text just got out of work at hospital

Attachments

• 587BCB81-747A-48D3-B2B1-D586CAD8642D.jpeg
    587BCB81-747A-48D3-B2B1-D586CAD8642D.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 86

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mentioned the ones that you have a chance getting, you will research scorps that will very rarely be seen offered. Try to see if a lfs can order them for you, many times suppliers will have fish available that you never see offered online. Make sure you get the scientific name and then do your research. If you click my name and "find all threads" you'll find tons of info on scorps and lions, as well as pics of my many venomous preds, currently and previously. I currently have 11 venomous preds.

That Pet Place is a good place to order and they have the yellow spotted and leaf fish in frequently. Don't pay a huge price for a red leaf fish, they always turn yellow regardless of what colors you have in the tank or what you are feeding them. iBluewater seems to be mia, I have bought from them before, they do qt their fish, but use antibiotics which many times damages the liver and the fish dies very prematurely. Can't recommend liveaquaria.

The fuzzy and zebra are very similar, the fuzzy will get over 6" and thick, while the zebra will get to 7"; their level of activity will vary from each individual. The zebra is not as aggravating when comes to letting others eat, like the fuzzy. Check out some my threads on feeding and nutrition.

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mentioned the ones that you have a chance getting, you will research scorps that will very rarely be seen offered. Try to see if a lfs can order them for you, many times suppliers will have fish available that you never see offered online. Make sure you get the scientific name and then do your research. If you click my name and "find all threads" you'll find tons of info on scorps and lions, as well as pics of my many venomous preds, currently and previously. I currently have 11 venomous preds.

That Pet Place is a good place to order and they have the yellow spotted and leaf fish in frequently. Don't pay a huge price for a red leaf fish, they always turn yellow regardless of what colors you have in the tank or what you are feeding them. iBluewater seems to be mia, I have bought from them before, they do qt their fish, but use antibiotics which many times damages the liver and the fish dies very prematurely. Can't recommend liveaquaria.

The fuzzy and zebra are very similar, the fuzzy will get over 6" and thick, while the zebra will get to 7"; their level of activity will vary from each individual. The zebra is not as aggravating when comes to letting others eat, like the fuzzy. Check out some my threads on feeding and nutrition.
Thank you Lion King for the replies I will check your threads. I will keep researching but for now I have 2 candidates possibly 3 if I decide on the dwarf Zebra. Definitely, the Leaf and yellow spotted are a go. Good point!!! on leaf fish turning yellow LOL I like the yellow anyways!!!! Even the black leaf fish looks mysterious which I find interesting.... I’m trying to build a stage for them to feel at home with macroalgae and corals to help them blend in... so if I get the dwarf then it will be the only one swimming in water column I believe. If I decide on the fu Manchu then I have seen videos of them swimming a bit. What I’m trying to do is have a fish in each section of the tank so they can be more comfortable amongst each other but I will do what I can......
Thank you Lion king for your expertise with my questions.

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scorpaenopsis macrochir, is the flasher scorpionfish I like idk how accurate is his size from the resource but it says 5 inches maybe I can ask lfs to order for me.

Attachments

• 133B5C7E-26FA-42E3-ADB6-96BDAFCBBE90.jpeg
    133B5C7E-26FA-42E3-ADB6-96BDAFCBBE90.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey lionfish King question so you think I can do the 3 scorps in my 45???? My weekly tank husbandry is dedicated and on time. I was thinking the dwarf zebra like you said it’s not to greedy or ferocious when it comes to feeding. The next one on my list is the yellow leaf fish and finally the Synanceia Nana Red Sea stonefish. They carry it at ibluewater expensive but I will save for that one. I wanted the yellow spotted scorpion but that is probably pushing the limits on space and bioload...
leaf fish 4”
Synanceia nana listed 13.5 cm 5”
Last the dwarf zebra lion 7”. What do you think Ik you have a vast knowledge of test subject LOL.
Thanks

Attachments

• EC108F01-3F94-4231-83C9-47E1792B6417.png
    EC108F01-3F94-4231-83C9-47E1792B6417.png
    816.4 KB · Views: 79

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything listed at ibluewatet is not in stock and as I earlier stated, they seem to mia. Most of the species of stonefish are very boring and very drab. While you'll see vibrant colored scorps, they all do not end up looking like that. Sometimes the vibrant coloration is because they are stressed or angry, it is not their normal color. Also they are chameleon like in nature, so their coloring can be refective of their envirinment. The stonefish is just that, a stone, really not much personality outside of eating.

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything listed at ibluewatet is not in stock and as I earlier stated, they seem to mia. Most of the species of stonefish are very boring and very drab. While you'll see vibrant colored scorps, they all do not end up looking like that. Sometimes the vibrant coloration is because they are stressed or angry, it is not their normal color. Also they are chameleon like in nature, so their coloring can be refective of their envirinment. The stonefish is just that, a stone, really not much personality outside of eating.
Got you! Ok I understand yes I’m aware that most are drab looking. So, what do you think I can put that is decent looking? I’m trying to occupy all levels of tank space.... should I do more a species specific or mix??? I want to have a specimen occupy upper water column and couple of occupants mid and lower levels of water column. Thanks for ibluewater MIA info. I guess THAT PET PLACE SEEMS LIKE MY POSSIBLE SITE TO PLACE ORDER....I do like the Synanceia Nana due to its rarity and 13.5 cm size... I will do That pet place looks promising but depends what they have available.... I guess it boils down to Availability!!!

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got you! Ok I understand yes I’m aware that most are drab looking. So, what do you think I can put that is decent looking? I’m trying to occupy all levels of tank space.... should I do more a species specific or mix??? I want to have a specimen occupy upper water column and couple of occupants mid and lower levels of water column. Thanks for ibluewater MIA info. I guess THAT PET PLACE SEEMS LIKE MY POSSIBLE SITE TO PLACE ORDER....I do like the Synanceia Nana due to its rarity and 13.5 cm size... I will do That pet place looks promising but depends what they have available.... I guess it boils down to Availability!!!
The easy part is that I figured out I want scorpionfish LOL. After burning my eyeballs researching online about different reef species. How can you ignore a mug like that haha I already have a three year old reef and more experience to handle a more serious species like scorps....That is why I opted to try a predatory tank at a more smaller size with this 45. At the age of 18 I had my first marine aquarium 55 gallons... but was clueless but for the most part was successful.. I had juvenile volitan lion, snowflake eel, and a very gorgeous toadfish. I would like to relive those happy youth days now in my ripe age of 49...

Attachments

• CC7E6AB9-8824-45B9-999A-D18E56D58E11.jpeg
    CC7E6AB9-8824-45B9-999A-D18E56D58E11.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah!!!!! We had left off as possible occupants Leaf fish and spotted yellow scorpion. I know you mention many species are pulled from Indian Ocean as well as indo pacific region so I’m flexible with my vision about what to put in my 45. Sorry, for the many questions.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does come down to what's available, you may be surprised, or not, what's on your lfs's distributors list. Here's some scorps for you to look at, and a full grown zebra with an antennata, both at about 7". These guys really do cruise all over, you think most scorps stick to the sandbed, but you see the leaf fish at the highest point in the tank, on top of that coral skeleton. The yellow spot will generally find a spot on the ledge of the rocks with coral as cover. That's a barbfish(Scorpaenodes brasiliensis) with a rhino in the 2nd pic, the rhino gets to 8-9" and is going for around $600 right now. The barbfish cruises all over too, That Pet Place gets those in as well.

1621209854829.png
1621210048702.png
20210515_225245.jpg

1621210651345.png

OP
OP
Red Sea Prophet

Red Sea Prophet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does come down to what's available, you may be surprised, or not, what's on your lfs's distributors list. Here's some scorps for you to look at, and a full grown zebra with an antennata, both at about 7". These guys really do cruise all over, you think most scorps stick to the sandbed, but you see the leaf fish at the highest point in the tank, on top of that coral skeleton. The yellow spot will generally find a spot on the ledge of the rocks with coral as cover. That's a barbfish(Scorpaenodes brasiliensis) with a rhino in the 2nd pic, the rhino gets to 8-9" and is going for around $600 right now. The barbfish cruises all over too, That Pet Place gets those in as well.

1621209854829.png
1621210048702.png
20210515_225245.jpg

1621210651345.png
Wow!!! Very nice pics. Thank you for the info. I will stick to THAT PET PLACE for my stocking list....due to limited space I can only do one of the lionfishes probably the zebra, a leaf fish, a nice scorpion fish of some type and MAYBE a yellow spotted. I will try to do something nice and I will post my findings and Pics when tank is complete. Thanks for your advice and expertise. One day I will transfer all my stock to at least a 180 predatory tank....

rhines

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve recently bought clowns from ibluewater might be worth to give a call...

rhines

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 days ago exactly was the last time i talked to bob from ibluewater. contacted him via text, he had a fu manchu and radiata lionfish at the time

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 days ago exactly was the last time i talked to bob from ibluewater. contacted him via text, he had a fu manchu and radiata lionfish at the time

Thanks, he was supposed to get back me a long time ago. My current venomous fish include a fu, radiata, antennata, zebra, and fuzzy; a rhinopias, barbfish, leaf fish, and 3 pygmy red roosters.

rhines

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, he was supposed to get back me a long time ago. My current venomous fish include a fu, radiata, antennata, zebra, and fuzzy; a rhinopias, barbfish, leaf fish, and 3 pygmy red roosters.
nice lineup. looking to getting a group of 3 leafs and a yellow spotted scorp in the near future. possible he couldn’t find the fish from his wholesalers or thought you lost interest.

Back