45 JBJ powerheads

diveinheadfirst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am brand new to reefing, but have been in the freshwater side previously. I currently am on day 2 of my fish less cycle and have my 45 JBJ AIO set up with a vectra s2 return pump and one mp10 powerhead. My question is a two parter. First, with the output from the return pump, and the mp10, should I have sufficient flow? Second, how would you determine “enough” and would you run 2 mp10s? I’m including a picture of my tank so the aquascape and how it affects flow can be seen. Also, any tips on location for placement of my mp10 or 2 mp10s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
9F9D5972-91C1-4438-98E2-B242F6B01A42.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am brand new to reefing, but have been in the freshwater side previously. I currently am on day 2 of my fish less cycle and have my 45 JBJ AIO set up with a vectra s2 return pump and one mp10 powerhead. My question is a two parter. First, with the output from the return pump, and the mp10, should I have sufficient flow? Second, how would you determine “enough” and would you run 2 mp10s? I’m including a picture of my tank so the aquascape and how it affects flow can be seen. Also, any tips on location for placement of my mp10 or 2 mp10s would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
9F9D5972-91C1-4438-98E2-B242F6B01A42.jpeg
Amount of flow really all depends on what you are going to keep. If LPS and softies, a nice back and forth with some randomness works well in those tanks. I has a JBJ 45 a while back and ran almost the same setup as you are. Only difference was my return was a jabeo pump.

When setting up my flow, I take an airstone, an air pump and some pieces of a pompom (can buy a cheap one at Walmart), put the stone right at the return inlet and let it blow bubbles around the tank. I then wedge some strips of the pom pom cut to different lengths in the rocks. Doing this allows me to see if there are any dead spots, watch how the pompom strands move and from there I can adjust the return and powerhead to get rid of dead spots and have a nice back and forth flow.

OP
OP
diveinheadfirst

diveinheadfirst

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amount of flow really all depends on what you are going to keep. If LPS and softies, a nice back and forth with some randomness works well in those tanks. I has a JBJ 45 a while back and ran almost the same setup as you are. Only difference was my return was a jabeo pump.

When setting up my flow, I take an airstone, an air pump and some pieces of a pompom (can buy a cheap one at Walmart), put the stone right at the return inlet and let it blow bubbles around the tank. I then wedge some strips of the pom pom cut to different lengths in the rocks. Doing this allows me to see if there are any dead spots, watch how the pompom strands move and from there I can adjust the return and powerhead to get rid of dead spots and have a nice back and forth flow.
Thank you thank you thank you!! This is so helpful and I never would have thought of your method of testing, I appreciate you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back